Equipment & Techniques > Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear

PhaseOne P45 vs Canon 5Ds

(1/7) > >>

dhdhdh:
Any thoughts about whether I should ditch my P45 in favor of the new Canon 50MP camera?  The 39MP Phase is a beautiful file, but I end up using the camera mostly in my studio as it's somewhat of a hassle to use on location.  And I'm a Canon shooter otherwise.

Any feedback from you pro's out there would be appreciated.

Thanks

DH

Ellis Vener:
Canon is saying that the 5DS is best used as a studio camera and I am assuming that they are saying that because in the studio, with the camera on a tripod and using it with flash or HMI lighting so you'll get the full measure of possible image quality. But that is true of your PhaseOne gear as well.

But we are photographers right?  And we can't always work in ideal circumstances.

You might consider renting a 5Ds (try lens rentals.com) and making your own comparisons. I'd be really interested in seeing the results. Also let us know what software you'll be using to process the images with.

dhdhdh:
Thanks.  I don't think Canon is saying it's a studio camera -- they have stuff in that camera like some kind of flicker setting to deal with sodium vapor lights, stuff that you'd find when shooting on location. I believe they're hoping to sell this to landscape and architecture photographers, and, yes, studio photogs.

With my PhaseOne I've been using Capture One, but I'd use Photoshop/Bridge raw to open files with this the Canon.

Here's a quick comparison of sensors vs the Phase IQ160, which someone posted:  http://blog.crismanphoto.com/tech-post-canon-5d-mark-iii-5ds-and-phaseone-iq160-head-to-head/

I'm hoping, via this forum, to hear thoughts from others.

Thanks again

Hans Kruse:
The Canon 5Ds(R) is no more a studio camera than the 5D III, 1DX or Nikon D810, D4S etc.

The resolution of this camera goes head to head with the Phase One IQ250 (50MP), Pentax 645Z. See studio scene http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-5ds-sr/5

The dynamic range is inferior to these other cameras. We will also see the Sony A7R II at 42MP as a contender soon.

The Sony A7R II has electronic first curtain as has Canon 5Ds(R) (in live view) which is important to avoid shutter shake (not to speak of mirror slap!). The Nikon D810 has this as well but awkwardly implemented.

The dynamic range is the weak spot of the Canon, however with an optimal exposure almost any single RAW file will do. The 5Ds(R) does not have the dreaded banding that the 5D III (and II) has. Besides that Lightroom now has an excellent HDR function for these cases where a single exposure is not enough (same for Sony and Nikon but more seldomly so).

What speaks for the Canon in spite of the DR weakness is the excellent glass that Canon has brought out in the recent years, presumable to prepare for a high resolution sensor.

I think the suggestion of renting one with the Canon glass you might want to use is a good idea.

Ellis Vener:
"The Canon 5Ds(R) is no more a studio camera than the 5D III, 1DX or Nikon D810, D4S etc. "

For the record I totally agree. And I've also used a Sinar 8x10 P2 outdoors on a rooftop and hung a Phaseone  Camera with a p45+ on the end of a tripod arm two feet out over the edge of a 65 story building.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version