Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fallen Hero  (Read 1467 times)

maddogmurph

• Maddog's Photography
Fallen Hero
« on: June 22, 2015, 06:49:15 pm »

An old growth forest, entirely too thick to bush whack.  I followed along Lost Man creek up into the woods of a national park.  The trail separated from the creek and seemed to stray away as I crossed a stream.  I decided to use this stream to bush whack my way back down the creek, and it was frigid cold.  I realized very quickly I'd need a stick for all the spider webs I was walking through.  After reaching the creek I found a great shot with a giant cable running across the creek, luck would have it I could pull the cable out of the stream and lay it on the far side to compose my shot.  Unfortunately this shot later didn't come out as beautifully as I had hoped, but as I wandered further upstream I came across what I call the Fallen Hero.  As many of you know, when photographing old growth trees a photo rarely does justice of actually being there.  The scale of this tree is lost in the photograph as there is no point of reference, but I used a small fern to try and bring scale in.  This is a single shot with a little bit of spot removal done on the rock below the fern for some bird poop that is quite distracting.

What I didn't know until I got out, is that the florescent markers I saw while tromping deep in the forest along this remote creek were likely put there by growers, and locals generally don't go into these woods during this time of year specifically so that they can avoid the growers who might shoot you if you stumble across their operations. 

Fallen Hero by Maddog Murph, on Flickr
Maddog Murph
www.depictionsofbeauty.com
Mostly here for constructive feedback.

oldhippy

Re: Fallen Hero
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 08:37:25 pm »

I look away, then come back.  Many times, I wonder what it is that captivates me.  I think it's the blue.  It brings an ethereal look, enhanced by and contributing to the whole shot.  Well done.  Ed

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 04:26:17 am »

Indeed the blue tone sets the overall feel of the place very nicely. then the small fern, with its vivid green, adds the extra bit of "snap" into the image. Very well done.

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 07:48:49 am »

Spectacular, maddog, simply spectacular. Everything works - the colours, your composition, the light. Wow! Congratulations. The hard work of getting "there" certainly paid off.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Bob_B

• It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 09:21:31 am »

Spectacular, maddog, simply spectacular. Everything works - the colours, your composition, the light. Wow! Congratulations. The hard work of getting "there" certainly paid off.

+1. I can't add more, except 'beautiful'.
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up