Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LF Field Camera -first purchase?  (Read 967 times)

Gilgamesh

LF Field Camera -first purchase?
« on: June 22, 2015, 02:15:01 pm »

So I am thinking of buying a field camera for doing some portraiture and so 5x4  would seem the most accessible entry point into large format film photography.

Ideally looking for two focal lengths, and in 35mm terms, a 50mm or slightly longer up to a max of 85mm, and no wider than a 35mm for the second lens.

Am I correct in say that's around a 155 / 210 lens and 115mm?

It needs to be reasonably portable, so I was considering a Land Camera, so:  Linhof Technica, Tachihara, Toyo but would welcome any / all suggestions.

Happy with a sub £800 price, which puts the Ebony out of reach, 2nd hand a good option in case I do not get on with it!

Thanks

Kabraxis

• www.kabraxis.de
Re: LF Field Camera -first purchase?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 06:37:19 am »

Hey Gilgamesh

A few weeks ago i published a german guide for portable 4x5 camera and lenses. One of the key features of the guide is a market overview with volume and weight.
Maybe you will find some new companies you are not familar with.

Let me give you a short translation for the tables:

Lenses (columns from left to right) http://pascalstingl.ch/?page_id=3636#5
manufacture, model, focal length (mm), max. aperture, image circle @f22, image circle divided by weight, 24 mm equivalent, min. aperture, shutter size, weight (gram), filter tread

Cameras (columns from left to right) http://pascalstingl.ch/?page_id=3636#3
Name (green cameras got a volume lower than 4 liter), manufacture, min. extension, max. extension, weight (gram), length (cm), width (cm), height (cm), volume (liter), Name (green cameras got a weight below 1750 gram)

Maybe that helps you a bit. I purchased recently a Toyo Field CF and I'm very happy with the decision. Don't fear the plastic body, it is real well made. 

Regards
Pascal

Gilgamesh

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 06:59:05 am »

Thank you, that's most kind.

I was looking, and have been on-off for a while..
This is on eBay as I type:

HERE also.

Thanks

yashima

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 08:00:14 am »

Thats an amazing detailed guide Mr Pascal, please give English translation when you have some time, I'd be most grateful.

Chris Livsey

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 08:52:26 am »

Google translate, offered directly on Chrome, appears to do an excellent job for me.
Thanks for the links greatly appreciated.
Pages: [1]   Go Up