Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CS2 workflow with Photokit Capture Sharpener  (Read 3533 times)

Malcolm MacGarvin

CS2 workflow with Photokit Capture Sharpener
« on: February 17, 2006, 06:01:40 pm »

Back in the time of the original CS, I understood that the tools available in Camera Raw and within Photoshop were of similar functionality. So I tended to do a minimum of processing in Camera Raw, and the bulk of the work in Photoshop, usually starting with Photokit Capture Sharpener, and usually finishing with some application of Photokit Creative and Output sharpener, with a large number of steps in between. I understood that capture sharpener (and noise ninja if required) should be applied very early in the workflow, and the results made me happy enough.

Somewhere along the line I have picked up that in CS2 there are quality advantages in using the full range of tools now available in Camera Raw. But that means that when finally transferring to photoshop I might typically only be using Creative sharperner, now well down the work flow, followed perhaps only by some local contrast enhancement and Creative and Output sharperner.

Similar comments might apply to noise ninja

Is this an inherent flaw, or is all hunky dory?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2006, 06:02:12 pm by Malcolm MacGarvin »

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 09:13:06 pm »

Capture sharpening and nosie reduction should still be done early in the process as apposed to later...

Andrew Teakle

• http://www.andrewteakle.com
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 11:04:50 pm »

Somewhere along the line I have picked up that in CS2 there are quality advantages in using the full range of tools now available in Camera Raw. But that means that when finally transferring to photoshop I might typically only be using Creative sharperner, now well down the work flow, followed perhaps only by some local contrast enhancement and Creative and Output sharperner.

Similar comments might apply to noise ninja

Is this an inherent flaw, or is all hunky dory?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=58429\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Jeff is right that Capture Sharpening should be done as early as possible after RAW conversion. There are significant quality advantages to getting the tone and colour as good as possible in ACR because the changes are applied during demosaicing and conversion from linear data. Once opened in Photoshop, Dust Removal, Noise Reduction (if necessary), Capture Sharpening and Local Contrast Enhancement (again, if necessary) should be done first up. After that, local tone and colour adjustments can be done. Michael has excellent tutorials on this in LLVJ 12 & 13. Worth picking up just for these...I frequently do very little adjustment after Capture Sharpening as it is so easy to get the tone and colour perfect in ACR.

As Bruce Fraser puts it in his wonderful book, Realworld Camera Raw, Photoshop has now become a plug-in for Camera Raw.  

Hope this helps,

Andrew
Andrew
Pages: [1]   Go Up