Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Setting proper dimensions in LR5  (Read 1220 times)

Herbc

Setting proper dimensions in LR5
« on: June 22, 2015, 09:48:58 am »

Being frugal (cheap?), I like to be able to re use frames, especially those I paid a fortune for at a custom shop.  This involves printing to a specific size image.
Lately, when I try to print an image with a 14inch dimension, it comes out 13.75 in.
Is this to be expected?

disneytoy

Re: Setting proper dimensions in LR5
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 09:55:59 am »

Lightroom respects the printer drivers margins. Make sure your printer/driver allows those dimensions. Example choose borderless if that is an option. If not, print on a large paper size.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 09:57:47 am »

It depends on the size of the page, the borders you set in LR5 Print Module and the minimum margin the printer needs. Check the Sell Size in LR5 Print Module before printing and adjust your borders to yield the appropriate Cell size provided your page size and printer minimum edge requirements allow it. Then stretch the photo right to the edge of the permissible Cell size.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

dwswager

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 10:18:19 am »

Being frugal (cheap?), I like to be able to re use frames, especially those I paid a fortune for at a custom shop.  This involves printing to a specific size image.
Lately, when I try to print an image with a 14inch dimension, it comes out 13.75 in.
Is this to be expected?

Absolutely not to be expected.  I use PS and not LR, but you might check in the print dialog that "Scale to fit media" is not selected.  Also check the minimum margins of the printer and make sure the image size allows those margins with the size paper on which you are printing.  I suspect there is some setting in LR or the printer driver that is shrinking the size to meet the margin requirements of the printer. 

I cut my own custom sizes from roll paper and print on an Epson 3880 so I do some really odd sizes.  

Pete Berry

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 01:14:53 pm »

Absolutely not to be expected.  I use PS and not LR, but you might check in the print dialog that "Scale to fit media" is not selected.  Also check the minimum margins of the printer and make sure the image size allows those margins with the size paper on which you are printing.  I suspect there is some setting in LR or the printer driver that is shrinking the size to meet the margin requirements of the printer. 

I cut my own custom sizes from roll paper and print on an Epson 3880 so I do some really odd sizes.

Years ago I tried to figure out LR's re-inventing-the-wheel print module and was stymied. I've used PS ever since, where sizing and borders are automatic IF you stay away from the "borders" dialog, whose only use to me is for off-centering a print. Borders flow naturally from the relationship of image size to paper size, or image + "canvas" extension if you want a reveal around the image inside the mat. Leave scaling at 100% and check "center image". Perfect every time, and no cropping of image to fit borders you've set, with image scaling to fit them.

"Setting" borders can be a minefield of trouble unless the border widths + image dimensions add up exactly to paper dimensions - AND, if the minimum printable margins monkey-wrench - usually 3mm -1/8" - is not a factor as it was in early Canon printers - and still may be for all I know.

Pete

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 02:49:25 pm »

Priniting out of LR: In Page Set-Up, select your paper size. In the Print module, for Layout Style select Single Image. go the Guides panel and make sure all of them are checked ON. Adjust the margins in the Layout panel so the Cell size comes out the way you want it for fitting the image to specific cell dimensions. The dimensions of the print you will get show in a little box on the upper left corner of the photo, so there are no surprises. Adjust the margins, Cell size and print image to what you need. Click Print. If you have Page Bleed clicked on, you can see how to adjust for what the printer requires so that the photo is centered and of the right size. See Martin Evening's LR CC book, Pages 454 and 455.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

hugowolf

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 08:04:56 pm »

It would do that if the other dimension of the image doesn't fit the aspect ratio of the internal size of the page setting; or if it doesn't meet your printer's minimum border requirements.

If you want to see if it is the former, then check Zoom to Fit. If you can then move the image position either vertically or horizontally. your image doesn't fit your chosen print aspect ratio.

Brian A
Pages: [1]   Go Up