Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: filters for polar nights?  (Read 736 times)

rolei

filters for polar nights?
« on: June 22, 2015, 08:12:25 am »

Hello,

I am visiting this December the High Arctic and there will be "polar nights" -  no light only night which is extremely blue.  ( I am Not speaking about the northern lights).

So I was wondering if any of you have already experienced those conditions -

what advices will you give me?
Are there any filters to reduce/ cut blue light?

What about any filters to emphasis even more that blue light?

i would like to do few experiments why in those conditions so I will really appreciate any help and advice!

Ambrazier

Re: filters for polar nights?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 09:01:01 am »

I've been to Lofoten, Greenland or Antarctica in the south a few times, doing quite some photography throughout the day and night. I have to admit I didn't care about doing away with the blue cast you mention with a filter.

on one hand the white balance of the camera adjusted for it, I applied some corrections in the post processing and after all it's the mood and the color of the light which prevails under these circumstances. so I didn't see a reason to remove it completely and make it look like if it was a bright, sunny summer day. the cold, dark, melancholic mood and colors are a part of the fascination in these arctic areas for me, I kept them in my pictures to a certain extent.

so to conclude: I wouldn't apply any filters. quite a lot of the blue can be removed in software, the rest I like to keep.
just my opinion and experience of course... and take care of yourself up there!

an example of what I'm talking about is below. lots of blue (night shot), but that's how it was...

« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 09:09:02 am by Ambrazier »

mjrichardson

Re: filters for polar nights?
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 10:52:15 am »

Hi

I live at the edge of the Arctic circle in Sweden and taught aurora and landscape photography last winter much further North, I also spent a couple of years living in the Antarctic, I agree that filters aren't necessary and the results are very personal, setting white balance in post will deal with most issues but leave images as blue as you like, there's such amazing light up there that you will find you produce beautifully blue tinted images. I always rely on my eye for that balance between pleasing and factual, produce what appeals to you!

Enjoy

Mat

« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 11:07:55 am by mjrichardson »
Pages: [1]   Go Up