Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone Using 4/3 For Weddings  (Read 12711 times)

rollsman44

Anyone Using 4/3 For Weddings
« on: June 22, 2015, 07:34:46 am »

Trying to go Lighter with equipment without sacrificing Image Quality. Trying to see if anyone is using 4/3 system to do weddings and portraits and be able to get 16x20 prints that are very good.  Thanks

spidermike

Re: Anyone Using 4/3 For Weddings
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 08:46:37 am »

Damian McGillicuddy (one of UK's top portrait photographers) went fully micro four-thirds a long time ago and if you google 'micro four-thirds wedding' (or 'portrait') you will find many people doing it.

Lyndsay Dobson has an interesting blog where she describes both her conversion and the response from people who cannot believe a pro would use MFTs and she gives some very good detailed rebuffs (in fact if you google her name you will find quite a lot of vitrol aimed at her for no other reason than she is doing something different):
http://lindsaydobsonphotography.com/blog/micro-four-thirds-vs-full-frame/

http://www.mu-43.com/threads/61628/

http://shutterleaf.co.uk/blog/olympus-omd-em5-for-wedding-photography-experience-with-3-micro-four-third-camera-bodies-a-review

Iluvmycam

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 09:33:54 am »

b_rubenstein

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 04:36:00 pm »

The technical image quality of µ4/3 is more than adequate for 16 x 20 prints. The issue with µ4/3 has to do with flash, and on camera flash in very dark reception halls. When I was doing this with a D7000, 17-55/2.8 & SB800, the AF assist light pattern enabled very fast AF and almost no missed, or out of focus shots. From trying to use µ4/3 cameras for this, I don't think they're the best tool for the job for fleeting images in very low ambient light levels.

rollsman44

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 05:45:24 pm »

I appreciate the info . I have seen so many Pros make the switch.

Deep

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 05:34:03 am »

The technical image quality of µ4/3 is more than adequate for 16 x 20 prints. The issue with µ4/3 has to do with flash, and on camera flash in very dark reception halls. When I was doing this with a D7000, 17-55/2.8 & SB800, the AF assist light pattern enabled very fast AF and almost no missed, or out of focus shots. From trying to use µ4/3 cameras for this, I don't think they're the best tool for the job for fleeting images in very low ambient light levels.
I don't quite understand this.  Depending on what body/flash you use, an AF assist light is available.  Off camera flash has been available for many years too.    Near instant AF is not a problem in those situations.  An EM1 will focus extremely quickly in poor light (such as found at wedding dinners) even without AF assist, as long as you use a recent lens.

I used an Olympus E3 for wedding photography for four years and had many happy clients.  Though I have officially stopped photographing weddings, I still get my arm twisted from time to time and find my Olympus EM1 more than adequate, other than having to make sure there is a spare battery in my pocket. 

Nearly every photo in this little collection was shot with a 4/3 camera: https://500px.com/deepravine1/sets/weddings .  There is also a Flickr 4/3 wedding photographer group, if anyone is interested in having a look. 
Don

AlterEgo

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 09:45:12 am »

I don't quite understand this.  Depending on what body/flash you use, an AF assist light is available.
1) CDAF requires constant illumination (as it is sufficiently iterative process), most (all ?) external flashes with AF assist do strobe some pattern to assist off sensor PDAF - can't be really used by CDAF, as to why cameras with on sensor PDAF can't use that, no idea - but may be it is still too weak illumination for on sensor PDAF to work and then even when it works some final focusing still CDAF based (hence still need constant illumination during that process)...

2) some external flashes have LED video light too, but you are not seriously going to use that for CDAF assist as it is very irritating, even more than PDAF assist strobes...

3) on board CDAF assisting light is very weak, easily got blocked w/ some lens/hood combination, etc...

---

so somebody must make an external flash with a normal CDAF assisting light which is less irritating that video LED (plus I am not sure that video LED is flashes, like m43 FL600* for example, can be automatically switched on/off during CDAF focusing process - some owners can answer).
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 09:48:32 am by AlterEgo »

Deep

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 03:22:28 pm »

Thanks for that information.  Interesting.  I'll have to experiment.  However, don't let the theory put you off - low light wedding AF just isn't a problem with an EM1, provided you use a recent m4/3 lens (PDAF with 4/3 lenses does fall apart when the light goes).
Don

AlterEgo

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2015, 03:50:02 pm »

low light wedding AF just isn't a problem with an EM1
well, I do not think Olympus quoted AF tolerances for EM1 anywhere, Panasonic did quote that their recent cameras (GH4) do focus down till EV-4, which is a very good number - no dSLR does better (but some might still focus faster)... that is w/o any AF assisting illumination.

b_rubenstein

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2015, 09:36:03 pm »

Nearly every photo in this little collection was shot with a 4/3 camera: https://500px.com/deepravine1/sets/weddings .

With all due respect, with the ambient light levels in those shots, I probably wouldn't even need a flash, let alone AF assist. I shot in the NYC area with big, dark, cave reception halls. The flashlight AF assist lights don't make it in those rooms. I pointed out in my original post that everything depends on the ambient light levels.

Deep

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2015, 03:12:48 am »

With all due respect, with the ambient light levels in those shots, I probably wouldn't even need a flash, let alone AF assist. I shot in the NYC area with big, dark, cave reception halls. The flashlight AF assist lights don't make it in those rooms. I pointed out in my original post that everything depends on the ambient light levels.

I'm not offended - the little set is not supposed to be an advertisement for flash capabilities!  Just an idea of how 4/3 is good enough for weddings.  Nevertheless, three of those shots were taken in VERY poor light and required flash assistance.  The fact you couldn't tell is actually quite flattering.  I hate the "obvious flash" look for weddings and avoid it as much as I can.  However, those reception dinners are often so poorly lit that speeches, cake cutting, first dance and so on need flash.  Even then, I do what I can (two flash heads, bouncing etc.) to make it less obvious.
Don

barryfitzgerald

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2015, 10:55:36 am »

I've shot a few micro 4/3 bodies but not for a wedding, however I can see no reason why you would not get the shots and excellent prints subject to being half decent behind the camera. I do use APS-C and have not had problems occasionally using a FF body (35mm) use what you feel suits you best nothing beats enjoying the shoot than using something you don't like

jaymerryfield

• In the Moment Photography
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2015, 01:44:37 pm »

I've been shooting weddings for 6+ years with a full Olympus kit. Finally retiredmy E-5 as my backup body and am fully m43 for this season.

www.inthemomentphotography.ca

barryfitzgerald

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2015, 11:27:03 am »

I've been shooting weddings for 6+ years with a full Olympus kit. Finally retiredmy E-5 as my backup body and am fully m43 for this season.

www.inthemomentphotography.ca

Very nice shots indeed
As said you hire the shooter not the rifle  :o
Some think it's odd I use APS-C I can't say it's caused a problem

jaymerryfield

• In the Moment Photography
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2015, 10:24:18 pm »

Very nice shots indeed
As said you hire the shooter not the rifle  :o
Some think it's odd I use APS-C I can't say it's caused a problem

Thanks Barry, I really appreciate that. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up