Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: uh oh, strategy for catalouges  (Read 2564 times)

sgwrx

uh oh, strategy for catalouges
« on: June 20, 2015, 08:25:38 pm »

for more experienced users, i'm new to the full version of c1, how's this for an approach...

i've created a catalog for the year 2015.  this is a folder on my c: drive (c:\photos\photos_2015).  inside that folder, i have 2 sub-folders: c:\photos\photos_2015\2015_05-May & c:\photos\photos_2015\2015_06-June.

now, i've decided that i'd like to group the folders on the c: drive by event.  so, for the 2015_06-June folder, i've created a sub-folder called "Road America Track Day".  As opposed to next week's "Road America Pirelli World Challenge".

so, is it a good idea to have one huge catalog for the whole year, or maybe I should be creating a catalog for each month within that year?

upon opening C1 with a different catalog called "Older" (haha, older photos, pre-2015, it's a mess they are all lumped in there), i repeatedly get an importing meta-data information which takes several minutes to complete.  if this is going to happen to all the time, and it has to work through a couple thousand images, again, maybe i should be creating a catalog for each month?

i also know i could create virtual "groups" and such within the catalogs, but it still has to load up potentially a lot of images for each year.

my habits so far, are to probably capture no more than a couple thousand photos per year.

thanks,

sgwrx

Re: uh oh, strategy for catalouges
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 09:59:40 pm »

i guess what i'm getting at, is there a down side to have a catalog filled with lots of images from a tech point of view, performance, higher probability of corrupt database file.

i just did just discover the filtering capabilities of my larger "old photos" catalog. woa.  filter by date, month, year... pretty cool. so i'm guessing it shouldn't _really_ be a problem.  when c1 says that their catalogs can handle thousands of images sometimes that can be more on the salesmanship side of things and in real life it can handle it, but performance or probability of corrupt files can be a lot higher.

JWB

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 05:53:39 pm »

I have a C1P 8.3 catalog with more than 65,000 referenced photos. Other than taking a while to open at launch, the large catalog seems to work fine for me.

David Edge

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 07:21:41 am »

I'm new to COP but, corruption of the catalogue is less of a risk than you think, I believe. As far as I can tell COP writes the info to little support files and if the catalogue is corrupted, just builds the catalogue anew from these. So, while it depends a bit on your workflow, the advantage of having one big catalogue is that you can find things as you can only search a single catalogue.

You might like to consider this option though - work in progress in sessions and then move the picks to your main catalogue when done:

http://blog.phaseone.com/sessions-catalogs-get-the-best-of-both-worlds/

as described by David Grover.

d.
Pages: [1]   Go Up