Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Inkload by the paper type  (Read 4623 times)

huguito

Inkload by the paper type
« on: June 20, 2015, 06:19:39 pm »

I want to give it a try to use the target from Onsight that was shared in a post sometime ago.

The idea is to tune up the inkload a specific profile will deliver by printing this target changing the paper type and inspecting the printed target looking for lack or excess of ink arriving to the optimal load.

I can't remember who posted the target.

Questions;

When telling the Epson driver what paper is in, to get more or less ink, What would be the order the most common papers?
I can't figure out in my head what paper types take more and which take less

Gloss equal less ink?   Luster more ink?    Matte will get even more?      Textured as velvet or watercolor will get the most?

I guess what I am looking is someone to list the most common epson papers to get an idea in which direction to move to get a bit more or a bit less ink

2nd question.
Can I achieve the same by just tuning the ink density in the Epson driver?

hugowolf

Re: Inkload by the paper type
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 08:11:44 pm »

Someone did post this information a while back, but I haven't been able to find it in a while. Generally yes: lustre, gloss in that order, Enhanced matte a Velvet Fine Art more than those, Watercolor Paper Radiant White less, and obviously plain paper way down there.

Brian A

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 09:29:55 am »

My take is a bit different.  I leave the media type alone, i.e. if Epson Luster, I use that, if PPGP 250 I use that. 

If I don't like the load, I then change the ink density under the driver.  This can be saved so when you print again the custom setting come up. 

Epson media settings, definitely determine the ink loading or at least contribute to it.  The different in the ink load with "canvas" or WCRW" when printing on canvas is considerable. 

But to your point, I agree, that the glossy media types seem to place more ink on the media, than say matte or canvas. 

This reminds me of the old Bill Atkinson profiles for the 9880/11880 for canvas.  Bill had some great profiles for using PK ink on Matte canvas, and the media setting was Premium Luster 260W.  Those were great profiles, sure wish he had continued on to the 9900 family of printers.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

John Caldwell

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 11:19:27 am »

I'm with Paul. I think that Media Type has ink limits, platen and thickness under the hood. So rather than bundling parameters you don't want to alter, at least alter without your knowledge and consent, just adjust those you do want to change within the Advanced driver tab.

You may find that the higher ink loads may obligate the additional drying time per head pass.

John Caldwell

datro

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 04:09:02 pm »

Here is the list of Epson Media Types ordered by ink loading (highest to lowest):

Velvet Fine Art Paper
Enhanced Matte Paper
Ultra Premium Presentation Paper Matte
Enhanced Matte Poster Board
Doubleweight Matte Paper
UltraSmooth Fine Art Paper
Proofing Paper White Semimatte
Proofing Paper Publication
Proofing Paper Commercial
Singleweight Matte Paper

Premium Luster Photo Paper (260)
Premium Glossy Photo Paper (250)
Premium Semigloss Photo Paper (250)
Premium Semimatte Photo Paper (260)
Premium Glossy Photo Paper (170)
Premium Semigloss Photo Paper (170)
Premium Photo Paper Glossy
Premium Photo Paper Semi-Gloss
Ultra Premium Photo Paper Luster
Photo Paper Gloss 250

Watercolor Paper Radiant White
Textured Fine Art Paper
Canvas
Presentation Paper Matte
Plain Paper
Enhanced Synthetic Paper
Enhanced Adhesive Synthetic Paper
Tracing paper

This list is actually provided by Epson; it is buried deep in the EPSON LFP Remote Panel 2 application.  To see this list, launch the EPSON LFP Remote Panel 2 application, click on "Custom Paper Setup" (you must have paper loaded in the printer at this point), select your printer in the "Printer" field, select a name in the "Custom Name" field, then click "Details" to the right of the "Reference Media Type" field.  You will get a window that looks like the attached image.  If you read through the "Help" for Custom Paper Setup you will find that Epson states this list is ordered by ink density from highest to lowest.  The Help for Custom Paper Setup also provides some very useful information in general for optimizing the printing environment for non-Epson papers.

In general you will find that matte papers get the highest ink loading, NOT PK papers as commented elsewhere.  And my own testing has found that indeed Velvet Fine Art and Enhanced Matte get the highest ink loading. 

After replacing the head in my 7900 last August I built new profiles with i1Profiler, but prior to building the profiles I did as you are contemplating and ran tests using the Onsight media testing image to optimize the Media Type choice for best DMAX, dot smoothness, color gamut, and shadow detail.  For the matte papers I use (Canson Edition Etching and Canson Rag Photographique), I found that the Epson Hot Press Bright Media Type was actually the best.  You will note that Hot Press Bright is not in the above list, I guess because Epson has not updated the Remote Panel 2 application since the latest papers have been released.  But I found the HPB Media Type to give noticeably better dot smoothness on the Canson papers compared to their recommended Enhanced Matte media type. And of course Hot Press Bright IS an option in the driver when you are choosing the Media Type.

Dave

huguito

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 05:24:17 pm »

Thanks Dave
That list is exactly what I as searching for.
I was not concerned that much about paper thickness and gap since I normally set those two values manually after measuring the paper thickness myself and inspecting print test for each media.
Thanks again

Hugo

TylerB

• my photography
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2015, 07:09:47 pm »

my understanding is that the density does not effect maximum ink load, only the gamma of each ink channel, something a custom profile over that setting is going to take back out of the equation anyway. Without a RIP you're stuck with media settings as density adjustments.. pretty sure...

disneytoy

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2015, 10:06:31 am »

Great info. I often trick the driver when printing Exhibition Matte Canvas. i don't need to waste ink in the PK/MK switch. I find my low black images print fine with the PK black. Some paper types alow you to choose MK or PK. Matte Canvas has PK greyed out.

I also print on hand coated paper and veneer. Having some knowledge of ink load settings would be very helpful!

Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up