Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replacing printheads ipf8300 - leave new Right in while waiting on new Left?  (Read 1100 times)

Roscolo

Love the ease of printhead replacement, but hate the way Canon's warranty works and how the machine notifies you of printhead replacement.

Had a power outage. Printer was off for about 18 hours. When I started it back up, it tells me to replace the Right printhead. Get one overnighted. Install it. Only NOW does it tell me to also replace the Left printhead!!! Yes, I could have had 2 heads overnighted if it would tell me both need to be replaced rather than one at a time!

So, I don't keep printheads on hand because Canon's 1 year printhead warranty starts the day you buy it, not the day you install it. Warranty can easily expire with printhead sitting on the shelf. And what are the odds BOTH printheads would need replacement at the same time? Maybe the Left printhead went bad sitting for what is now 42 hours with the printer off?

So, now this question: I replaced the Right printhead. The printer will now need to be off for 48 more hours until the new Left printhead arrives. Should I pull the new Right printhead and put the caps back on it and keep the older bad Right printhead in the printer until the new Left printhead arrives? Or just leave the new Right printhead installed? I don't think it ever charged with ink, as after I replaced it the carriage moved to the right then immediately moved back to the center and I got the notification to replaced the Left printhead.
Thoughts?

thanks
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 12:35:03 pm by Roscolo »

Some Guy

I'd go to Canon's site and open up a chat with a tech and ask.  At least if they give you wrong info they probably make note of the chat and will try and make it right.  i've had callbacks from them too which sort of surprised me.

Good question on keeping a backup head on hand too.  I'd sure ask them about that as well.  Don't know how they'd track when it was installed, but I'd sure ask.  There may be a way they can tell somehow.  Maybe buy two and send the first back when it craps and start the second?

I find their tech support a lot more capable than Epson overall (Since Epson doesn't make things easy to fix on their brand.) and I've had Canon offer a better price if things go bad at times on some valuable customer thing they offer.  I've gotten replacements at time on wholesale pricing (maybe?) on something that has gone bad when they no longer make version 1 of whatever and the thing.

Let us know how it goes.

SG

Roscolo

Totally agree with you about Canon tech support, but unfortunately their tech support is closed. It's Mon - Fri. only

deanwork

I would leave it in. I was told buy the Canon guy who came here that once you remove a print head you can't reinstall it. I don't know if that is accurate or not, but I wouldn't remove it.

Roscolo

Thanks. Pretty much decided to leave it in. If there's a problem, it's brand new, so it's definitely under warranty. If it goes bad some way, some how, it will be eligible for a free replacement.

colinm

Totally agree with you about Canon tech support, but unfortunately their tech support is closed. It's Mon - Fri. only

If you're in the US and a CPS member, call the CPS hotline. They support the iPF printers 24/7.

I don't know whether that benefit extends to other regions.
Colin

Roscolo

If you're in the US and a CPS member, call the CPS hotline. They support the iPF printers 24/7.

I don't know whether that benefit extends to other regions.

Well, if you want to join Canon Professional Services, under "Eligible Products" > "Printers" it only lists "Pixma Pro-1" and "Pixma Pro-10." Guess Image ProGraf printer owners don't qualify. Doesn't look like I'll be joining. LOL!

Pages: [1]   Go Up