Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Budweiser ad in SI  (Read 18419 times)

pixman63

Budweiser ad in SI
« on: February 17, 2006, 08:47:30 am »

Being on this side of the pond, SI isn't a magazine I see in my travels (haven't looked very hard either admittedly). The small repro on this site made it impossible to get any useful info on the image quality either (he said, desperately trying to justify commenting on the subject! )

I must ask though, isn't it breaking some kind of trades descriptions legislation to call the US Budweiser a beer? Drink the real Czech stuff instead guys.

michael

Budweiser ad in SI
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 10:42:39 am »

As a Canadian, I was reluctant to call it a beer, but didn't want to be impolite and call it piss in public.  

Michael
« Last Edit: February 17, 2006, 10:45:10 am by michael »

Hank

Budweiser ad in SI
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 12:08:08 pm »

No argument here!  The ads are sometimes good for entertainment, but the "beer" isn't good for..........

framah

Budweiser ad in SI
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 12:28:55 pm »

It ain't beer unless it has Guiness on the label. Now THAT is beer!!    

...and if you thought Bud was bad beer, you ought to try Rolling Rock. Now THAT is pissbeer!
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

bob mccarthy

• http://
Budweiser ad in SI
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006, 01:20:57 pm »

As a Canadian, I was reluctant to call it a beer, but didn't want to be impolite and call it piss in public.  

Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=58401\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

More accurately, a precurser to piss!! It does keep the kidneys clean, it's unfortunately quantity over quality down here.

Actually anything labeled "beer" in the states is a pale comparison to real beer. Even the good euro stuff is watered down before it reaches the great state of Texas. The real stuff is overlabeled "malt liquor" and only available in the best speciality shops.

truely sad!!

Bob
« Last Edit: February 17, 2006, 01:21:55 pm by bob mccarthy »

Ray

Budweiser ad in SI
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2006, 10:43:02 pm »

Beer is just a thirst quencher. If you are thirsty enough, even Budweiser can taste okay. If it's taste you're after, then a stout like Guiness is what you need, or a good wine.  

Scott_H

Budweiser ad in SI
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2006, 12:18:17 am »

Budvar is pretty good, but I prefer Radegast.
[url=http://scottsblog.my-expressions.co

DiaAzul

• http://photo.tanzo.org/
Budweiser ad in SI
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2006, 05:39:43 am »

It ain't beer unless it has Guiness on the label. Now THAT is beer!!    

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=58410\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

More accurately it is stout -- oops, just saw that ray had gotten that one.

For more fun add a glass of champagne to make a black velvet.

if you want something slightly lighter try Beamish.

If you want the scottish equivalent try MCewans 80 shilling (for the weak you can always go for the lighter 60, or 70 shilling).

Then of course you could always go the Belgian route - Chimay, KwaK, Delerium Tremens, etc...and the lambics such as Kriek (cherry beer).

If you are in Germany there a plenty of beers, same in France and the Caribbean is developing some good largers (Piton from St Lucia is pretty good, Trinidad and Tobago has some good beers though I don't remeber the names - must have been a good trip) another international larger is Finlands Lapin Kulta which is quite refreshing.

There is always the student blaster - Snakebit (half lager, half cider) or Bitter snakebite (half bitter, half cider).

personally I prefer a nice dry vodka martini with an olive ;-)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2006, 05:46:38 am by DiaAzul »
David Plummer    http://photo.tanzo.org/

DarkPenguin

Budweiser ad in SI
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2006, 09:35:48 am »

My current favorite beer is Lake Superior Mesabi Red.  Tasty.  But Sierra Nevada and Summit Pale Ale are probably my fav tap beer.  (Newcastle has been showing up lately.  Which is a nice change.)

Ray

Budweiser ad in SI
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2006, 09:53:09 am »

I see this thread is attracting a lot of beer drinkers, but I don't see any mention yet of Fosters or XXXX (Oh! yes I do, because I've just written it   ).

XXXX is a Queensland beer known as Four Ex. The explanation for the name is that Queenslanders are illiterate. It's not true of course.  

jule

• http://www.juliestephenson.net
Budweiser ad in SI
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2006, 03:47:52 pm »

I see this thread is attracting a lot of beer drinkers, but I don't see any mention yet of Fosters or XXXX (Oh! yes I do, because I've just written it   ).

XXXX is a Queensland beer known as Four Ex. The explanation for the name is that Queenslanders are illiterate. It's not true of course. 
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
What about Carlton Draught Ray?...It's a big beer, a very big beer. [a href=\"http://www.bigad.com.au/movie.html]http://www.bigad.com.au/movie.html[/url]

RichDesmond

Budweiser ad in SI
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2006, 08:28:56 pm »

My current favorite beer is Lake Superior Mesabi Red.  Tasty.  But Sierra Nevada and Summit Pale Ale are probably my fav tap beer.  (Newcastle has been showing up lately.  Which is a nice change.)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=58471\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
If you like those give Red Seal and Pyramid India Pale Ale a try.  

Ray

Budweiser ad in SI
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2006, 10:58:15 pm »

What about Carlton Draught Ray?...It's a big beer, a very big beer. http://www.bigad.com.au/movie.html
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=58493\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Very entertaining, Jule. That ad should get an award if it hasn't already received one.

pixman63

Budweiser ad in SI
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2006, 01:46:40 pm »

I see this thread is attracting a lot of beer drinkers, but I don't see any mention yet of Fosters or XXXX (Oh! yes I do, because I've just written it   ).

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=58474\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Come, come Ray. You must know that's because neither of them are beer any more than Bud (or the equally awful Rollling Rock).      

Good to see some connoisseurs of the real stuff here (though I'll defer from the Guiness hype thanks)

Ray

Budweiser ad in SI
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2006, 10:01:15 pm »

I make no pretense at being a connoiseur of beer types. In Australia we drink beer to wet our throats. I've heard it said that German beer is the real beer because there's a law there that prohibits the addition of preservatives and other artificial enhancements.

However, when all I need is something to wet my throat, I object to paying double the price   .

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Budweiser ad in SI
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2006, 10:09:08 pm »

Gentlemen, please don't forget that there is a Belgian in the game... I hate to blow my own trumpet but Belgium is without the shadow of a doubt THE place for beer... :-)

Although I have to say that more than a few US micro breweries do pretty good stuff, same for Quebecq... oops... Canada...

Cheers,
Bernard

Anon E. Mouse

• http://
Budweiser ad in SI
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2006, 11:39:33 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=58474\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

And they can count too.

Ray

Budweiser ad in SI
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2006, 01:49:18 am »

And they can count too.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=58583\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Exactly! You have to be really astute to work out if that's 3 Ex or 4 Ex or 5Ex after you've had a few   .

David Mantripp

• :: snowhenge dot net ::
Budweiser ad in SI
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2006, 11:53:20 am »

Gentlemen, please don't forget that there is a Belgian in the game... I hate to blow my own trumpet but Belgium is without the shadow of a doubt THE place for beer... :-)

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=58579\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Totally agree. Hoegaarden is none the worse from having found a huge export market. Chimay is certainly a good explaination for Trappism. Some, such as Geuze or Lambic, may be a little odd, to put it mildly, but the clear winner in my humble opinion is the one and only Delirium Tremens, easily identified by the pink elephants on the label.  You're going to need autofocus after a few of those :-)
--
David Mantripp

BJL

Budweiser ad in SI
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2006, 11:59:20 am »

I am always ready to enter a deep technical discussion like this one, so let me pass on the warning that the so-called "Fosters" sold in North America is actually produced in Canada (sorry Michael, but "made in Canada" does not have much cache in the beer world).

So if you want a genuine Australian-made beer in this hemisphere, go for Cooper's: their ale is somewhat Belgian in style, with fermentation finished in the bottle, and dead yeast in the bottom to prove it.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up