Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 4900 problem: Roll paper installed, wants to print from paper cassette  (Read 3738 times)

uintaangler

Wow!, damned finicky machine.
I have run approx. a dozen rolls of paper through my Epson 4900
I never even loaded a single sheet into the front loader cassette until last week, when I had a little problem and had to do a few Manual cleaning cycles followed by Nozzle check print sheets
When I was done I left the plain office paper in the cassette, switched from sheet to Roll and started making prints  ;D
Today, the damned thing won't make a print off the roll paper, every time I que up a print, I get a message telling me that the paper cassette is empty ( I know, I emptied it ) and it simply will not print off the roll
It keeps switching itself back to sheet ( vs Roll ) in the menu.
So, I switch it back to roll, que everything up in Lightroom, click on Print and the same error message keeps showing up on the printer display " Paper Cassette Empty"
What can I do?
Thanks.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com

Do you have roll paper selected in both Page Set-Up and in the on-printer paper configuration menu?
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

uintaangler

Yes I do, thanks.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor

OK, that was the most obvious one. I don't know what else to suggest. Yesterday on my 4900 I had an episode of the printer leaving one inch off one dimension even after I checked all the settings. I shut down both the printer and the software, restarted, and all came back to normal. Perhaps you can try a shut-down and restart, see if it helps. Otherwise you are entitled to free phone support from Epson ProGraphics regardless of warranty status.

uintaangler

Mark, how do I contact Epson Prographics?
Thanks you.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor

Their phone number should be in the manual or on their website in the Support section. It is Prographics or Professional Imaging support that you want.

John Caldwell

Sounds like a printer driver issue, so long as you are absolutely sure you have selected the correct media and paper paths within the software meaning in the driver, in Page Setup and in Print Settings. I would attempt a different roll paper print dimension and, if that fails, remove (and then re-add) the printer in System Preferences and, failing that uninstall and then reinstall the Epson 4900  driver. Provided you're on a Mac, deleting the epson preferences should also be done. I'm not personally expert in the means of deleting the existing printer driver, and that should be done to make the new driver install meaningful, as I understand it.

John Caldwell

uintaangler

Sounds like a printer driver issue, so long as you are absolutely sure you have selected the correct media and paper paths within the software meaning in the driver, in Page Setup and in Print Settings. I would attempt a different roll paper print dimension and, if that fails, remove (and then re-add) the printer in System Preferences and, failing that uninstall and then reinstall the Epson 4900  driver. Provided you're on a Mac, deleting the epson preferences should also be done. I'm not personally expert in the means of deleting the existing printer driver, and that should be done to make the new driver install meaningful, as I understand it.

John Caldwell

John, I already tried this last night and it worked!
However, it does leave me wondering why I have now re-installed the driver three times?
Each time to solve some quirky little problem and each time it has worked.
That seems weird to me.
Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up