Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wrong colors from Epson 9900  (Read 2607 times)

oak767

Wrong colors from Epson 9900
« on: June 19, 2015, 01:47:17 pm »

I am having an issue with print colors from my Epson 9900. I recently printed four images that all seem to be lacking orange and have shifted blues to pink/magenta. Fearing that I had some clogged nozzles, I did a nozzle check as well as printing a 10 color test strip with QTR. The nozzle check and the test image from QTR looks just fine. I am at a loss as to what could be causing this. Other images have printed well, but it has been a month or so between the good prints and the bad ones.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Wrong colors from Epson 9900
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 06:38:14 pm »

Are you printing from QuadTone Rip?  If so that is more than likely the issue if you have a good Nozzle check.  Profile, or something is off.  But I was curious when I saw QTR as Quad Tone is for black and white only images.  So if possible can you give more info?

Thanks
Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

oak767

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 08:12:25 pm »

I normally print from PS. I used QTR for it's ability to print a 10 color test page. I only used it for that purpose. I have been wondering about a bad profile, but couldn't understand how a profile could go bad. I am printing using Epson Premium Lustre paper and it's attendant profile.

Garnick

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 08:42:16 am »

I normally print from PS. I used QTR for it's ability to print a 10 color test page. I only used it for that purpose. I have been wondering about a bad profile, but couldn't understand how a profile could go bad. I am printing using Epson Premium Lustre paper and it's attendant profile.

I'm afraid I am at a loss as well concerning your use of QTR to print a 10 colour test print.  In the QTR driver, which curves are you using to achieve a 10 colour print?  As far as I'm aware, unless you are creating your own curves, there is no way to print a 10 colour test.  However, if by (10 colours) you are referring to 10 different curve combinations I suppose that would be essentially correct.  I guess it all depends on which "colours" you are referring to.  If they are all shades of gray, warm/cool combinations or split tones I suppose they could be described as 10 different colours.  As Paul mentioned, more information is definitely critical in this case.  I'm also wondering why you unable to print a "10" colour test print from PS, an app quite adept at exhibiting and printing far more than ten colours if you are using the Epson driver correctly.    

Gary
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 08:45:46 am by Garnick »
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2015, 09:57:35 am »

A nozzle check is a great indicator----but not infallible.  I would go ahead and do a cleaning.  Double check ICC profile used and printer settings for that particular media.

You don't need QTR here---great for B&W printing, but I'm assuming you aren't using QTR for color images!  You can print more "colors" using PS or other printing avenues.  Jack Flesher provided this original ink test pattern from GetDPI and you can download the target from my Dropbox here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xwusnmy1198ux3m/AAD-1c5Q0E5MiRGfvsL6HuENa?dl=0     There's an improved version too.  ;)

ken

oak767

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2015, 01:59:18 pm »

Thank you for the replies and suggestions. I will try to respond in order.

I used QTR in calibration mode in order to print a test of each individual color as provided by the software's author, to confirm that each color was firing and printing as needed. This was a backup to the nozzle check. I was not trying to print all colors, just the individual colors or channels.

I have deleted all files pertaining to the printer, including profiles, rebooted, and reinstalled once, and have started the process again. I have not checked other papers/profiles to determine if they are affected. I will do this next.

After much searching, I have not seen this problem reported elsewhere, so I am assuming that this is a unique occurrence.

hugowolf

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2015, 03:48:14 pm »

The fastest way to rule the profile in or out would be run the same paper (Epson Lustre) with Epsom Semimatte profile. The two papers have almost identical spectral reflectance curves but slightly different surfaces.

Brian A
Pages: [1]   Go Up