Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: DXO One Camera  (Read 16440 times)

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
DXO One Camera
« on: June 18, 2015, 10:24:02 am »

Interesting development on a concept that is actually not that new; Sony started doing this type of "attachments" some time ago, for their phones. Personally, I have never seen anybody using such a thing, so I am curious to see if iphone users will pick up this gizmo.

Plus there is also the Panasonic CM1 phone with a camera that has a 1 inch sensor too.

As for RAW, for some time there are phones that already shoot RAW, like some Nokias (or Microsoft).

The strong point to me is the DXO input, especially on the software side. Plus Apple of course, with a strong user base.

MatthewCromer

Re: DXO One Camera
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 12:58:56 pm »

Well the camera IQ is not visibly any better than an RX100, and you only get one focal length.

I'd much prefer to just carry an RX100 which gives me focal length options. It's easy enough to send the images I like to my iPhone for further processing / sharing. Handling is a lot better on the RX100 too (at least with the add-on grip).

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 02:05:22 pm »

Well the camera IQ is not visibly any better than an RX100, and you only get one focal length.

I'd much prefer to just carry an RX100 which gives me focal length options. It's easy enough to send the images I like to my iPhone for further processing / sharing. Handling is a lot better on the RX100 too (at least with the add-on grip).

Agreed.  Seems they would have put at least a modest zoom range in the camera.  I’d be interested if it weren’t for the single focal length.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 02:38:27 pm by Wayne Fox »

MatthewCromer

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 02:12:49 pm »

I do wish them well with this product though. We need much better software in our cameras, and this shows a lot of potential in this area.

John Camp

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 06:21:00 pm »

This camera has the same problem as most point-and-shoots. It's main competitor will be the iPhone -- which, if you're tempted by one of these things, you've already got. And for most of the pictures taken by iPhone users, this will not offer much of an improvement -- how much difference will you see displaying 20 megs on your iPhone, rather than 8 megs...and I rarely encounter anyone who's not a photo enthusiast, displaying their iPhone photos anywhere but an iPhone. Nope. You'll still need that D800.  ;D

bokehcambodia

• bokehcambodia
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 01:24:25 am »

Like the Sony QX-series 'lens cameras' (that sell well especially in Asia); very interesting concept, great IQ and well implemented to the Apple ecosystem;
the hardest part will be to get iPhoneographers to adopt it; it seems small enough to be put in any pocket, but most iPhone users would want a NON-fixed lens;
About the price: It's a MFI-product, so hoards of $ had to be moved to Apple first, i's still reasonable priced IMHO;
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 03:55:45 am by bokehcambodia »

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 03:10:11 am »

Interesting device.

Now, too bad I just promised myself I would stop buying gadgets with debable ROI  in 200-600 US$ range. ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

dreed

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2015, 01:59:51 pm »

Very cool but too expensive.

bokehcambodia

• bokehcambodia
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2015, 12:29:27 am »

It seems the hardest barrier to cross for adoption is not price, not carrying another piece, not the fixed lens, but the fact that you cant use it with an iPhone case attached? Is that the case? If yes, then the target market just shrunk by 99%

peterottaway

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2015, 01:03:32 am »

To me this is just a gadget, and not really designed for the photo enthusiast who has a fair idea as to what they want and to market value.

dreed

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2015, 04:15:53 am »

It seems the hardest barrier to cross for adoption is not price, not carrying another piece, not the fixed lens, but the fact that you cant use it with an iPhone case attached? Is that the case? If yes, then the target market just shrunk by 99%

You're joking, right? What a design mistake!

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2015, 09:13:48 am »

Hmmm.  Sense a bit of a disconnect.  The iPhone has killed the compact camera segment dead.  Apple is putting up pretty decent images covering the entire side of 6-story buildings, as 40x60s on bus shelters, etc as part of their "shot on iPhone" campaign.  There's a guy making a living traveling the US taking better landscapes than most 'landscape' photographers....on his iPhone.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm sensing a trend.

Here is a device that integrates quality as good as most photographers will ever really need almost seemlessly with the iPhone.  It attracts a half-page of negative comments. On the other hand, some  already-obsolete camera from a medium format company, that maybe a couple of dozen people who frequent this site will actually ever buy, has two 10 page threads??

Some people just don't like the future....(say the guy with an 8x10)

- N.

ps. yeah, too expensive by $200.  Otherwise, genius.
Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2015, 09:18:30 am »

Hmmm.  Sense a bit of a disconnect.  The iPhone has killed the compact camera segment dead.  Apple is putting up pretty decent images covering the entire side of 6-story buildings, as 40x60s on bus shelters, etc as part of their "shot on iPhone" campaign.  There's a guy making a living traveling the US taking better landscapes than most 'landscape' photographers....on his iPhone.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm sensing a trend.

Here is a device that integrates quality as good as most photographers will ever really need almost seemlessly with the iPhone.  It attracts a half-page of negative comments. On the other hand, some  already-obsolete camera from a medium format company, that maybe a couple of dozen people who frequent this site will actually ever buy, has two 10 page threads??

Some people just don't like the future....(say the guy with an 8x10)

- N.

ps. yeah, too expensive by $200.  Otherwise, genius.

Well, it is clear that the frequenters of this site are not the target for this camera. What I find disconnected is the fact that other brands already have cameras that take very high quality images without any add on gizmos. Even a NatGeo photog shot a whole series of photos using a Nokia phone recently; my Galaxy S6 has a very good camera, takes nice stills and vídeos.

Even Sony came out with something similar in terms of add on for their smartphones, well ahead of Apple.

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2015, 09:58:05 am »

iPhone 6L probably has the best camera/software in the biz.  This takes it to a whole other level.  Probably well if excess of what 35mm film did for most people. 

Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2015, 04:59:35 pm »

iPhone 6L probably has the best camera/software in the biz.  This takes it to a whole other level.  Probably well if excess of what 35mm film did for most people.  

This is indeed most probably using the new Sony sensor present in the RX100mkIV, so it is indeed likely to have better image quality at low/medium ISO than a former "MF killer" 1Ds.

What I am wondering really is whether I would end up having the DxO with me when I need it more than I would have my RX100. It is smaller, but probably not "always in my pocket" small. Then it becomes a "in my bag" item and the RX100 is already in the bag most of the time.

I had bought excellent/expensive Schneider iPhone add-on lenses and ended up nearly never using them for the same reason.

Cheers,
Bernard

EdWalker

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2015, 11:03:29 pm »

I see a big conflict of interest.  A camera rating site creating there own camera, rating it before it is actually available by a secret formula and comparing it to other products, also rated by the same secret formula.

I'd think that they need to disclose all the details of their rating methods, or it looks very suspiciously like cooking the books.

marcmccalmont

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2015, 12:13:15 am »

In life there is always at least a little conflict of interest, Kevin....Phase One, DxO...... Their camera. The problem with a conflict of interest is when it's hidden like, politicians and business, this one is so upfront it's a non issue. I believe DxO's methods are both well published and quite reasonable, hardly "secret". I'd say the barrier is the price now if it was $300 I'd jump.
Marc
Marc McCalmont

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2015, 01:14:04 pm »

Well it is also iphone specific too, so that limits the market even further. At least the Sony detachable camera will work with any phone. More a gimmick at least in my opinion.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

Some Guy

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2015, 02:09:43 pm »

I see a big conflict of interest.  A camera rating site creating there own camera, rating it before it is actually available by a secret formula and comparing it to other products, also rated by the same secret formula.

I'd think that they need to disclose all the details of their rating methods, or it looks very suspiciously like cooking the books.

I disagree.

If you read further into their comparisons, you'll find they gave the Samsung S6 Edge a point higher than their own camera (86 to 85).  I found that sort of interesting, even if it is their 20MP to that of the 16MP in the Samsung which has no RAW as "Samsung hasn't thrown the switch" to allow RAW/DNG out of it yet.  I would have expected DxO to be more biased over their own creation.

This cellphone stuff is amazing in that you can just "get an app" to make it into a new HDR camera, 4K video, a panoramic or spherical camera, 3D (dual lens soon), and a full editing and upload station as well against the current DSLRs.  Plus, the apps to do a lot of this stuff are free or less than $5 too.  Fuji seems to be working this upgradeable route too with their cameras.

In a few months, something new will show up in cellphone/camera land and dethrone the S6 Edge or the DxO camera stick-on (Which seems locked to Apple fireport connector which could change in another model too and kill that ability.).  Big problem is the major DSLR makers cannot compete as quick since these damn cellphone cameras are "totally new" in 6 months against their 3 year cycles.

SG

bokehcambodia

• bokehcambodia
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2015, 11:42:06 pm »

The Olympus Air with MFT sensor and a much lower price opens up the idea of a sensor+smartphone cam even more...

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/olympus-air-a01/olympus-air-a01A.HTM
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up