Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Back button focus - how to set AF-ON and * buttons for different focus patterns  (Read 3974 times)

dbolt

• Photos by Doug Bolt

I have a 5Dm3 and a 7Dm2.  Until a few days ago, but cameras were set to back button focus with either AF-ON or * button.  They were set so the AF-ON button would display a single focus square and the * button would display the 9 square zone.  Handy to focus on the eye in the case of a single focus point or on a moving subject with the 9 square zone.  I changed some unknown thing on the 5DM3 and now both the AF-ON and the * button display the same focus pattern.  I can select different focus patterns, but the selection gets assigned to both back buttons. 

I've read the manual and checked some videos, but have been unable to make the 5D3 back button focus differently with the AF-ON and * button. 

I'd sure appreciate a link or some instructions that will help me correct whatever I screwed up on the 5Dm3 config.
Doug Bolt
http:\\dougboltphotography.com

dbolt

• Photos by Doug Bolt

I'm still looking for a solution to this problem.  Lots of Googling and reading the manual has not allowed me to be able to set the 5DM3 back to where the AF-ON button will focus with a single focus square and the * button will focus using multiple squares of the zone configuration.  My 7DM2 still works that way.  Probably because I have not tried to "improve" the configuration on that camera. 

I'm sure the answer must have been contained in some of the things I've read.  Apparently, I must need a more step-by-step set of instructions. I am familiar with the saying about an old dog and new tricks, but in my case it seems to be more about an old dog (76) and remembering new tricks.
Doug Bolt

Rainer SLP

• RS-Fotografia

Hi Doug,

Maybe this helps.

Open Menu > Go to the Camera Icon with red background.

Choose the second little square = C.Fn2:Disp./Operation

Choose the last menu line " Custom Controls ". Press set and you see the camera on the left and the buttons on the right.

Choose the button to which you want to assign a different function with the rear big wheel. Press set and you will see the functions assignable to that button.

Instruction manual page 327 to 330
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 04:46:24 pm by Rainer SLP »
Thanks and regards Rainer
 I am here for

kamma1

Hi Doug,

Having just got a 5D3 a few weeks ago I've been fairly immersed in the manual.

It sounds like you had one of the two buttons also set to 'Switch to registered AF function", and either deleted that from the button, or erased the registered AF function itself.  Adding that function to the AF itself is available by pressing the Info button while setting the custom function. 
The instructions are on p. 330 of the manual. 

Hope this helps.

Bruce

dbolt

• Photos by Doug Bolt

Thanks, Bruce.
I have both AF-on and * buttons set to Metering and AF start. AF-on is set with INFO to registered. OK. Center point selected and depress both selector button and lamp. Both AF-on and * now focus with single focus square. If I manually select a different focus type, it changes the behavior of both buttons.

It seems to me that I failed to register the initial focus type.

Asking for more help.
Doug Bolt

kamma1

Doug,

Not sure I can help much more, as I didn't know about setting it up this way until i saw your post.  I have AF-On set to focus and * set to focus and switch to the registered point. 

It does seem glitchy, though - I had to restart the camera once after it became confused with me playing with these settings.  Also, changing the 'selectable AF point' setting in the menu requires a re-registration every time; possibly other changes in the menu also have this effect.

Bruce

dbolt

• Photos by Doug Bolt

Bruce,

Thanks again.  I finally gave up on the effort for now and reset the camera to defaults. After setting a few personal preferences, I went back to my old settings of shutter set to normal, AF-ON set to AF-OFF, and * set to *H.  Works ok this way, but when I build up some motivation, I'll readdress the configuration where I can back button focus with the AF-ONJ set to a single focus square and the * to a multi-square focus setting.  My 7DM2 back button focuses as I prefer and the 5DM3 did as well, until I tinkered with some of the settings.  Wish I could remember what I changed.
Doug Bolt
Pages: [1]   Go Up