Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recent Infrared work.  (Read 985 times)

leuallen

Recent Infrared work.
« on: June 17, 2015, 02:09:35 pm »

Having fun with Infrared, in fact it is almost all I have shot this year. The first image, trees, caught my attention as I glanced out the car window and saw the fallen 'X' trees. I had to wade through some tall weeds to get a good vantage point and then clear some tall ones out of the way but it was worth it (I am 75 and not in good health so it was a struggle).

I was attracted to the barn because of the simple geometry and the contrast of the white roof. I love things that make a geometrical pattern.

I saw the little tree after I stopped to examine another nearby tree. This one was much better. It is near the bottom of a gully and I am up so shooting down whereas I am usually shooting trees upwards. I liked its weathered shape and the rich tones.

The field of corn was taken with a 28mm equivalent focal length whereas I am usually in the 200mm to 600mm range. Since this was a large field and I was shooting slightly elevated I think it turned out well. This is part of my "Field Patterns" series.

Larry

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Re: Recent Infrared work.
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 02:38:32 pm »

Nice. I particularly like #3. The roof of the barn is a bit over-dominant, I think.

Your toning is rather strong for my taste.

Jeremy

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 03:19:48 pm »

A very pleasing set. Not nearly as strident as a lot of IR work.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

pollarda

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 11:50:04 pm »

Larry:

I like your IR work. It shows a lot of the IR qualities (leaves turning white etc.) but isn't heavy handed like so many IR photographs are.  I tried to decide which I liked the most but couldn't make up my mind between 1, 3, 4.  I wasn't too wild about the barn. The others are IMHO very strong each with their own unique qualities and I'd hang any of them on my wall.  For the IR work I've been doing, I've been looking for places where the IR adds a bit of magic but doesn't show up readily as IR.  Pine trees for example often stay black but, have a bit of a luminescent quality which is very nice.   Just curious, what is your setup?  (And thanks for your feedback on my other thread.)

Art

leuallen

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 01:13:09 am »

pollarda

My setup is a Panasonic G1 12Mp cica 2008, lots of grain, which I like, converted to IR at 720mm. I use SiverEffectss Pro (SE), which I push the apply black and whites according to the mood I want. I start in  LR , adjust the exposure, black point and white point and highlights usually set to -100 and then to SE. In SE  I start with a preset which I greatly modify. Sometimes the apply black and whites are at maximum for contrast as are shadows and midtones at minimum. It all dpends upon the image. I like the strong brown toning which takes me back to the wet darkroom days of a Kodak paper I can't recall the name of that I liked then and still do.

Funny, I like the barn. It has graphical qualities that I like.

Larry

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 04:03:17 am »

Very good set, like them all.

Kerry L

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2015, 07:51:55 am »

They are all nice images. Not over cooked as many IR seem to be. Each one has it's own qualities, with # 3 being my favorite.

Well done, I hope you'll show post more.
"Try and let your mind see more than you
Pages: [1]   Go Up