Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help buying a Digital Hasselblad  (Read 7090 times)

Neil Williams

• Neil's Photography
Re: Help buying a Digital Hasselblad
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2015, 07:16:54 pm »

If that is a joke... good one!  ;D

If it's not... it may be one of the reasons you can't get a good enough picture with your actual cameras ;)
It was a joke boys :)

Neil Williams

• Neil's Photography
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2015, 07:57:46 pm »

The -50 is a great large CCD chip, they've used them in the H3DII-50, H4D-50 and now the H5D-50.  It's happy place is at ISO50, with 100 as an option, and 200/400/800 as you see fit (which I don't).  The -50c is the same Sony chip in the Pentax and PhaseOne gear, with higher ISO being fully functional.  If you're outside and need higher ISO, the -50c is better, if inside with lights, the -50 is better.

Folks will push back on the whole MF gear based on their personal belief and value structure.  Honestly, if you're already set on the A7r2, you may want to look at the 60/80mp backs, as the difference between 42mp and 50mp is minimal, and you're most likely shooting in studio situations.  A perfect pairing would be a H4X/H5X with the P65+ back - there's lots of them out there, it's the 60mp CCD (more of a MF look) and your gear isn't going to be in contention with each other.  The big downside is the screen on the back kinda really sucks.  But you can get the back and body for under $15k used.

Have you tried out CaptureOne?  It's a slick tool, even for Sony/Nikon files, and shooting tethered really works wonders when in studio, so that instant confirmation that your shot is spot on - it works with Phase backs only, so you can use a Hasselblad body and glass, but use a PhaseOne back.  The IQ backs add a few features, but if you're inside shooting, or have a workflow that allows it, the P+ stuff is cheaper and just as reliable.

Pentax 645z is amazing, and has a few features that no other 50mp camera has.  For starters, it's half the cost (body is ~$8,600) and there are lots of lenses for it.  The latest glass is amazing, sharp and weather resistant.  The 28-45mm IS lens is stunning, the 55mm is razer sharp and the 90mm macro does all types of magic.  There are no leaf lenses native to it, so sync speed is 1/125th.  But they've got speedlights that work TTL (even wirelessly).  Check out http://priolite.us/pentax_hss as adding specific lights for situations can be cheaper than a leaf lens system.

What's your timeline to purchase?  You may want to try out the gear as part of a workshop with either http://podas.info/ (tied in with LuLa :) or Hasselblad http://www.hasselblad.com/our-world/workshops  .  There's even one in my backyard later this year, not sure I'll pony up for it - https://captureintegration.com/alpa-workshop/

It all comes down to what makes you happy - if it's MF gear and the kids aren't starving because of the cost, go for it.  Photography is a personal decision, what works for others may not work for you.

-Joe
Hay Joe thanks for the write up.
Your stuff about the 50c and 50 has helped make it clear to me now, so from what I am reading the 50c would work better for me seeing as I like to shoot outside as well as in a studio.
I've tried capture one but not played with it that much. My workflow normally consists of Lightroom followed by Photoshop and using Nik and Portraiture plugins
I've contacted Hasselblad in the UK and asked them for a private demo when I am back to the UK in September, I also have a mate in Malaysia where I live and he has the H4D 40 so I plan to try that out as well. I am in no hurry to do all of this but do it I will I just want to try and only do it once .......................if you know what I mean
Thanks again
Neil

Neil Williams

• Neil's Photography
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2015, 03:37:14 am »

My mate in KL who has the Pentax 645z said he can organise a free rental for me to try it out. He ditched his Canon plus Otus for one and swears by it. So at least I will have the chance to try it myself

Chris Livsey

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2015, 03:41:32 am »

The easiest way to get the MF experience with Hasselblad H series is to buy an inexpensive (relative to digital) H1 or H2 film body. Complete with lens these are not perhaps 10 a penny but are easily bought and re-sold for little or no loss. (£1,200 to £2,000) Shoot some film just to see the "look" and to handle the body and controls. There is minimal difference between the H digital and H film series in handling certainly the viewfinder experience is the same which along with the fabled MF "look" (not looking for a discussion here BTW) is what drives the desire. You like you upgrade you don't like you sell. Even better you like the body you can then buy a Phase One back for the H1/H2 and go digital opening another can of worms of choice of back.
A few days rental cost and you could by a film H.

Neil Williams

• Neil's Photography
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2015, 02:18:54 pm »

A mate of mine in KL is the owner of the Starhill Leica store and he has a new Leica S with a 70mm Summicron (I think that's what it is). I told him that if I got it I would want to trade in my Leica M gear for it and he said he could do me a really good deal on it :) :)
 The 70mm would be a nice walk around lens and I would also get the 100mm for my portraiture stuff............I would plan to trade in all my M gear so it would be a win win situation except I would be buying back into the Leica Dream :)

ndwgolf, A moment ago   Edit Report

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2015, 02:34:39 pm »

Congrats. It's the most 35mm like system out there, so your learning curve will be less steep.
If you are keen on doing outdoor, flashlit portraiture, get the leaf shutter lenses.
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

JV

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2015, 03:41:23 pm »

The 70mm would be a nice walk around lens and I would also get the 100mm for my portraiture stuff.

The 12% off promotion has been extended till end of July... just saying...

Neil Williams

• Neil's Photography
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2015, 03:48:44 pm »

The 12% off promotion has been extended till end of July... just saying...
I will be trading in my M gear so no problem with the 12%
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up