Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Help buying a Digital Hasselblad  (Read 7091 times)

Neil Williams

• Neil's Photography
Help buying a Digital Hasselblad
« on: June 17, 2015, 01:29:23 pm »

I am going to buy a digital Hasselblad............either a H4D or a H5D and need some help advice from anyone on here that has either of these models and any general advice about the Hasselblad gear?

As always any tips advice will be much appreciated

Neil Williams

• Neil's Photography
Re: Help buying a Digital Hasselblad
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 04:56:50 pm »

Let me add a little more to my original question;
My Name is Neil and I live in Malaysia (ex Scotland) I work in the Oil and Gas industry in Nigeria.
Okay enough about that, I got into photography about five years ago when I moved to Malaysia (100% as a hobby) and still is just a hobby even though it is a huge part of my life now. I started out shooting Nikon and after about two years I got poisoned into buying into the Leica dream which I did and I have had a love/hate relationship with Leica ever since http://neilsphotography.co.uk/lovehate-relationship-with-leica/[/b]]http://neilsphotography.co.uk/lovehate-relationship-with-leica/ I have come to the conclusion that no matter what I do I cant get tack sharp people pictures with the Leica M system so I want to try something else. A good buddy of mine in Malaysia has a Hasselblad camera and some of his pictures are amazing along with tack sharp people. I don't mind spending a few quid on a new or like new secondhand Hasselblad but as you can see I am a complete novice as far as Hasselblad is concerned.
I have recently got into shooting models (pretty girls) in both studio and out and about with and without lighting (strobes), I also love to shoot landscape and travelogue kind of Photography. On my days off from the rig I normally plan at lease one trip to either somewhere in Asia for a week or so, and then once a year longer trips back in either the UK to see family or in and around Europe......all with photography as the main theme of the trip
I am therefore looking for advice on all aspects of the Hasselblad brand
Thanks

Joe Towner

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 07:08:23 pm »

Tack sharp photos, lots of different ways to do that.  What other than the sharpness attracts you to Hasselblad?  What Nikon gear did you use, and do you still have it?  What budget are you trying to stay within?  I own a Hasselblad, and love it, but also love the Pentax 645z, and am currently playing with the 5DsR.  All 3 cameras can get tack sharp, but that is also dependent on the glass put in front of the camera, the support things like tripod and such.

What do you want to do with the photos after you take the shot?  Are you able to manually focus accurately?  Pairing a Hasselblad 500 series with a number of different backs might work for you, but it's all manual.

What amount of money are you trying to stay within?  Kind of pointless to have a back when you only have 1 lens and no options for renting locally.

-Joe
t: @PNWMF

Ken R

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 07:50:42 pm »

I find the Canon 5D mark 3 Autofocus performance hard to beat in just about any light. It is very fast and accurate in a wide range of situations. I am sure the new 5DSR is as good or better since it has a few upgrades.

The Hasselblad System is very good overall. It has a great lens selection and the AF is nice and accurate. But it is a pretty large and heavy system still and has limitations regarding speed and low light AF performance. Right now PhaseOne came out with the revolutionary XF camera system which on paper at least and initial reports is a cut above any camera released to date regardless of format. But again, like the Hasselblad, it is a large and heavy system. Generally with medium format if you want very sharp images you need to use a tripod. With other systems (smaller formats) Image Stabilization is available which helps.

I would at the very least check out the Sony A7RII and the Sony and Zeiss lenses (Batis). The AF is much improved over previous models although in low light I am not sure if it can perform as well as Canon's latest AF systems.

Neil Williams

• Neil's Photography
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 08:46:53 pm »

Tack sharp photos, lots of different ways to do that.  What other than the sharpness attracts you to Hasselblad?  What Nikon gear did you use, and do you still have it?  What budget are you trying to stay within?  I own a Hasselblad, and love it, but also love the Pentax 645z, and am currently playing with the 5DsR.  All 3 cameras can get tack sharp, but that is also dependent on the glass put in front of the camera, the support things like tripod and such.

What do you want to do with the photos after you take the shot?  Are you able to manually focus accurately?  Pairing a Hasselblad 500 series with a number of different backs might work for you, but it's all manual.

What amount of money are you trying to stay within?  Kind of pointless to have a back when you only have 1 lens and no options for renting locally.

-Joe
Joe
I currently have;
Most of the Pro Nikon Gear
Leica M 240 Leica MM and various Leica lenses
Away to get a Sony a7r2 along with Baits lenses
Now looking for a MF system

1/. I like to shoot models (pretty girls) in both studio and outside locations with Profoto lighting gear..............currently using my Nikon D800e and 55mm Zeiss Otus, but want to use MF for this
2/. I like to travel to exotic locations and shoot the local people doing what they do with there daily lives................Currently using Leica gear for this but plan to change to Sony
3/. I like to shoot landscape .................currently using Leica and Nikon gear for this but again plan to use Sony or and Hasselblad for this

I like to post my pictures on FB..................
I am hoping to get a H5D with a couple of lenses like the 105 and 24mm and that system will take care of numbers 1 and 3 above and might even work with # 2 as well, but that is just a guess as I have no idea about what the Hasselblad is capable..............hoping to get that info from you guys.
If the H5D or another brand can take care of my photography needs then I would get rid of all my Leica gear to help finance it Smiley
Money wise I am thinking ~$25k for a body and 2 lenses.....is that feasible?
I have no problem with manual focus but would like to use AF when possible
Only joking about the FB thing................ I like to put them on my website neilsphotography.co.uk and also print them A2 and bigger
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 09:15:43 pm by ndwgolf »

alexluuphoto

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 09:52:14 pm »

Honestly if you can't get great shots from a d800e and 55mm Otus I don't think the hasselblad would make a difference. I think you should be spending more time on capture one or photoshop.

Neil Williams

• Neil's Photography
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 10:43:09 pm »

Honestly if you can't get great shots from a d800e and 55mm Otus I don't think the hasselblad would make a difference. I think you should be spending more time on capture one or photoshop.
I am getting fantastic pictures with the D800 and Otus and my PS skill level is okay but also like everyone else we need to keep practicing. But I feel I can get better IQ with a H5D...........again I really have no idea just guessing and listening to people that have MF cameras

KAHA

• www.davidpoata.com
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2015, 12:17:21 am »

Here's a post of John's recent acquisition of his Hasselblad H5D-40 http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=100485.0

and Willow has a very reasonably priced H5D-40 + Lenses in the for sale forum http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=97088.0

Neil Williams

• Neil's Photography
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2015, 12:38:41 am »

Thanks for the links.....I have been looking at the H5D 50c now as a buddy of mine is recommending that over the H5D 40..............I guess I need more time to get my head wrapped around this MF gear :)

Joe Towner

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2015, 01:23:30 pm »

Doing a -50c Wifi with the H5X body would allow you the most options going forward.  The H5 backs also take a battery holder really well so when you're ready to add a technical camera, you're set.  If you were to pickup a PhaseOne H mount back, you could swap it in, or even go old school and bust out a roll of 120 film.

The only limitation I've found is that I really like going faster than 1/800th, and the Hassy gear doesn't allow me (in a helicopter and such).  Phase has the ability to do both leaf and focal plane shutters, so 1/4000th is an option.

I would recommend looking long and hard at some of the images and how they render - the 50mp CMOS backs (-50c, IQ150/250/350, 645z) don't have the same large surface area you may want for the 'mf look' ( 36x48mm sensors are in the Hassy -50/-60, iq260/280).  If you're working under strobes, the higher megapixels may be better.

Neil Williams

• Neil's Photography
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2015, 01:48:08 pm »

Hi Joe
Thanks for the reply.
Reading your post and some of the others from other forums I get the feeling that people are guiding me away from Hasselblad, I don't know why I feel like that but for example I have had about 20 replies on a UK forum and most of those guys are pushing me to not shoot MF.............maybe its me but that's what I am reading.
I also have mates with the Pentax 45 something that say its perfect for everything I want and at only half the price...............should I look at that??
I know what I am like (I know me) and I am the kind of guy that will buy the pentax but wish I bought the Hasselblad if you know what I mean then end up buying twice.
I am not in a hurry for all of this MF stuff so back to your original message would I be better off saving a few more bucks and get the H5D 50 instead rather than the 50c.?????
Also is there any good reading out there about shooting with a Hasselblad i.e. I want to understand more about the two kinds of shutter that you mentioned.
My mate wrote this yesterday;
the benefit of H5D and Phase one over Pentax is they have leaf shutter lens so you can go up 1/8000 syn speed...what's that all about

Anyway thanks again for your help
Neil

2wk

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2015, 03:36:21 pm »

I think most people would be stearing you away from digital MF because your output is facebook (which sounds quite ridiculous) while most the benefits from MF are for printing huge. But if you just want it to play with and have the funds....just get it.

But really, if you just want sharp "beautiful girl" shots for online use...just get a Olympus Em-1 with some fast autofocus glass and call it a day.

Regarding your Leicas...are you sure the lens & bodies are calibrated properly? My 50 summilux and Monochrom took multiple (4) trips back to Leica before they finally got it dialed. It was a pain, but I am finally happy with it. But also, these rangefinders take a lot of practice. Focusing is one thing, but if you or you subjects moves just slightly its not going to be sharp while shooting wide open.

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2015, 03:40:51 pm »

Hasselbald goes up to 1/800 sync. Phase does 1/2600 if you have the right triggers. There is no camera that does a true 1/8000 sync.

If your primary output medium is Facebook, don't bother with MF. None of the advantages such as pixel acuity, tonality etc. Are gonna show up.
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

Neil Williams

• Neil's Photography
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2015, 03:55:47 pm »

I think most people would be stearing you away from digital MF because your output is facebook (which sounds quite ridiculous) while most the benefits from MF are for printing huge. 
You didn't read the whole post

Neil Williams

• Neil's Photography
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2015, 03:59:21 pm »

If your primary output medium is Facebook, don't bother with MF. None of the advantages such as pixel acuity, tonality etc. Are gonna show up.
The FB bit was a joke...................

Neil Williams

• Neil's Photography
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2015, 04:00:35 pm »

Why would someone pick the H5D 50c over the 50 or vice versa?
I have been offered a new 50c for a very good price of ~$18k without a lens
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 04:02:37 pm by ndwgolf »

george2787

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2015, 05:44:50 pm »

No offense, but your post seems like "help me spend an enormous sum of money in something I don't need and don't know if I'd like just because people say it's great"

First, I would try the system you'd be interested, find if that is what I need and LEARN what can and can't be done with that system (leaf shutter, ISO limitations and how sensor size affects the image's rendering)

That said, Hasselblad is a really nice system, very sharp if shot right, if you are going down that path you may consider leaf/phase one and can even work on a hasselblad body.

And just back to my first point, it seems that you like the idea of having a hasselblad and are going to buy it no matter what.

Neil Williams

• Neil's Photography
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2015, 05:55:07 pm »

No offense, but your post seems like "help me spend an enormous sum of money in something I don't need and don't know if I'd like just because people say it's great"

First, I would try the system you'd be interested, find if that is what I need and LEARN what can and can't be done with that system (leaf shutter, ISO limitations and how sensor size affects the image's rendering)

That said, Hasselblad is a really nice system, very sharp if shot right, if you are going down that path you may consider leaf/phase one and can even work on a hasselblad body.

And just back to my first point, it seems that you like the idea of having a hasselblad and are going to buy it no matter what.
No offence taken...what's ISO

Joe Towner

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2015, 06:10:03 pm »

The -50 is a great large CCD chip, they've used them in the H3DII-50, H4D-50 and now the H5D-50.  It's happy place is at ISO50, with 100 as an option, and 200/400/800 as you see fit (which I don't).  The -50c is the same Sony chip in the Pentax and PhaseOne gear, with higher ISO being fully functional.  If you're outside and need higher ISO, the -50c is better, if inside with lights, the -50 is better.

Folks will push back on the whole MF gear based on their personal belief and value structure.  Honestly, if you're already set on the A7r2, you may want to look at the 60/80mp backs, as the difference between 42mp and 50mp is minimal, and you're most likely shooting in studio situations.  A perfect pairing would be a H4X/H5X with the P65+ back - there's lots of them out there, it's the 60mp CCD (more of a MF look) and your gear isn't going to be in contention with each other.  The big downside is the screen on the back kinda really sucks.  But you can get the back and body for under $15k used.

Have you tried out CaptureOne?  It's a slick tool, even for Sony/Nikon files, and shooting tethered really works wonders when in studio, so that instant confirmation that your shot is spot on - it works with Phase backs only, so you can use a Hasselblad body and glass, but use a PhaseOne back.  The IQ backs add a few features, but if you're inside shooting, or have a workflow that allows it, the P+ stuff is cheaper and just as reliable.

Pentax 645z is amazing, and has a few features that no other 50mp camera has.  For starters, it's half the cost (body is ~$8,600) and there are lots of lenses for it.  The latest glass is amazing, sharp and weather resistant.  The 28-45mm IS lens is stunning, the 55mm is razer sharp and the 90mm macro does all types of magic.  There are no leaf lenses native to it, so sync speed is 1/125th.  But they've got speedlights that work TTL (even wirelessly).  Check out http://priolite.us/pentax_hss as adding specific lights for situations can be cheaper than a leaf lens system.

What's your timeline to purchase?  You may want to try out the gear as part of a workshop with either http://podas.info/ (tied in with LuLa :) or Hasselblad http://www.hasselblad.com/our-world/workshops  .  There's even one in my backyard later this year, not sure I'll pony up for it - https://captureintegration.com/alpa-workshop/

It all comes down to what makes you happy - if it's MF gear and the kids aren't starving because of the cost, go for it.  Photography is a personal decision, what works for others may not work for you.

-Joe

george2787

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2015, 06:37:10 pm »

No offence taken...what's ISO

If that is a joke... good one!  ;D

If it's not... it may be one of the reasons you can't get a good enough picture with your actual cameras ;)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up