Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: using dehaze dramatically slows white balance  (Read 4310 times)

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
using dehaze dramatically slows white balance
« on: June 17, 2015, 01:25:00 pm »

When using DeHaze, a color balance tweak seems to be required in most images.  But the color balance tool slows to the point of being nearly unusable. It doesn’t matter how much dehaze is applied, even a setting of +1 slows things.

I’ve taken to applying dehaze, seeing what color shift may need to be applied, then stepping back wit command/z, making the color shift and reapplying haze.  Just seeing if others are experiencing this.

(OS X 10.3.3, retina macbook pro)

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: using dehaze dramatically slows white balance
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 01:44:06 pm »

Working as usual for me on Mac OS. I have GPU off but that's due to how slow LR6 was and I haven’t tried it back on again since the latest update.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 01:44:54 pm »

It slows down, but not to the point of being unusable. About a second (vs. instantaneous without the dehaze)

Win8 with an i3 processor @ 3.5 GHz and 16 GB and GPU in LR disabled

pieter, aka pegelli

AlterEgo

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 01:45:16 pm »

Just seeing if others are experiencing this.

of course it does (ACR, PC/W8.1x64, i7-i4810MQ & GTX870M ) = so as usual with Adobe's coding nowadays - switch off GPU "acceleration"  ;D

AlterEgo

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 01:45:57 pm »

I have GPU off but that's due to how slow LR6 was and I haven’t tried it back on again since the latest update.
don't...yet.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 04:08:49 pm »

Not GPU related ... I’m having no issues with GPU enabled and turning it off has no affect.

Worse than 1 second, there is no feedback when moving the slider (the number doesn’t update, sometimes not at all even though the color shifts) really challenging to make minor adjustments. Using the  arrow keys also incredibly slow, adjust 3 or 4 key strokes together and it’s 5 seconds or more before it updates (including the number). 

Have to try it on my MacPro to see if it’s hardware related or an issue with my install.

AlterEgo

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 04:36:14 pm »

Not GPU related ... I’m having no issues with GPU enabled and turning it off has no affect.

turning GPU off in my case makes WB much faster with dehaze engaged... everything bad w/ performance in recent Adobe releases __IS__ gpu code related ... but it seems you have really slow notebook because of retina and Adobe GPU code... I have probably half a second delay with 5Ds 50mp raw files (from I-R) and dehaze engaged on my no-name laptop with much smaller resolution and much faster reacting /to mouse actions/ sliders in UI w/ GPU switched  off... in fact with GPU switched off the sliders can be moved almost like w/o dehaze... but when you switch GPU on you immediately notice sluggish behavior with sliders... definitely somebody is still struggling over there w/ the code.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 04:49:09 pm by AlterEgo »

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 06:30:34 pm »

When using DeHaze, a color balance tweak seems to be required in most images.  But the color balance tool slows to the point of being nearly unusable. It doesn’t matter how much dehaze is applied, even a setting of +1 slows things.

Adobe specifically recommends adjusting white balance before using the "Dehaze" tool.  Maybe this is why.

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 07:05:01 pm »

Adobe specifically recommends adjusting white balance before using the "Dehaze" tool.  Maybe this is why.

While I understand it's usually bad form to reply to your own post, I just discovered some information from Adobe scientist Simon Chen, posted by Jeff Schewe in another thread, which may have some bearing on the complex interaction between Dehaze and white balance:

This is what Simon Chen added:

Conceptually, Dehaze estimates two quantities from the original photo
1 a constant haze color (AKA the airlight color
2 a light transmission map which acts as a per-pixel blending parameter between the true image (without haze, not observed) and the estimated haze color that leads to the observed image (with haze).

With these estimates, one can run the process of removing haze and adding haze.

What does this mean? I have no friggin clue :~)

I don't really have a clue, either—well, maybe a fractional clue, since I have some experience doing software development—but it sounds to me that if you modify a white balance parameter after the Dehaze parameter has been changed, every pixel in the image will need to be re-evaluated and possibly altered again.  And since LR operates on raw files, I'm guessing that means (1) a source rendering will need to be generated; (2) that rendering will need to be evaluated and modified pixel-by-pixel; (3) a destination rendering will need to be generated so the user can see the result.  Change either parameter, and the entire process will need to be iterated.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2015, 07:24:20 pm »

I don't really have a clue, either—well, maybe a fractional clue, since I have some experience doing software development—but it sounds to me that if you modify a white balance parameter after the Dehaze parameter has been changed, every pixel in the image will need to be re-evaluated and possibly altered again.

Yep, I think that's what it means...similar situation for noise reduction on really noisy slows things down as well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up