Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HTS - how much tilt  (Read 2876 times)

Giulioz

HTS - how much tilt
« on: June 16, 2015, 07:17:30 am »

Hello,

I recently ventured into Hasselblad territory and acquired a H5D-40, three lenses and the HTS. I am a landscape photographer and I am mainly interested in having sharp images from back to front. I am using the HTS mainly with the 24mm. My question is how much degree of tilt should I apply considering that I am using a tripod roughly tall 1,75 meters? Also, should I focus at one third into the frame or on the most distant object?

Thank you, Giulio

Geods

Re: HTS - how much tilt
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 08:31:26 pm »

It's been a while since I shot with my HTS. From what I recall, the tilt is typically very little - perhaps a few degrees. My recommendation is to focus in the middle of the frame, apply tilt and refocus as necessary, then recenter with rise/fall. I have found that in good light, focus is easy to achieve by observing a shimmering effect to the focusing screen in areas that are in focus.

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 06:29:01 am »

The Hasselblad handout says 10º tilt either way.

If you want more, get a Flexbody (I have two for sale).

I'm not sure about the Arcbody's range.
Roger
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

sgilbert

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 12:10:36 am »

If you have an iPhone, there's an app that lets you enter lens, sensor size, camera height, etc., and gives you the proper tilt.  http://www.snapi.org/snapi/Tilt_Calculator_Tutorial.html

The height you're talking about is likely to be two to three degrees tilt.

shaun

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 09:32:49 am »

Yes not much tilt needed at all. Might need to shoot through scene calibration at times.

Shaun

mgrayson

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 10:10:29 am »

Don't be surprised if 1 to 1.5 degrees is all you need with that short a focal length. The general rule is 1 degree per 30 mm fl.

James Clark

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2015, 12:57:33 pm »

Agreed with mgrayson.   I use .5 to 1 degree on my iq 160 with 40mm lens at standing height.  And to answer the OP's other question, I focus on the farthest element (or infinity) and use tilt to bring the foreground into sharper focus.

yashima

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2015, 02:02:18 pm »

Excuse me for the ignorance on this matter, but how do Hasselblad H lenses preserve infinity focus with increased flange distance due to the tilt shift adapter?

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2015, 02:45:04 pm »

The HTS has a lens in it t maintain focus. I'm pretty sure there is a magnification factor and a loss of light.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2015, 03:52:29 pm »

Yes Sir, there is.

Magnification factor is 1.5, so an ultra wide lens is needed.

THE HTS keeps record of tilt and shift so Phocus can apply optical correction taking T&S into account.

Best regards
Erik

The HTS has a lens in it t maintain focus. I'm pretty sure there is a magnification factor and a loss of light.
Erik Kaffehr

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2015, 04:05:22 pm »

That theory can only apply at man-height. If you are into table-top shoots or want to use tilt and shift from lower levels, you need far more tilt. Although the attached pic is not a good example, I could not do it with my Techno (limited to 10º tilt) and used a Flexbody (up to 28º tilts) instead. I also used the built-in extension facility. 
Roger

Don't be surprised if 1 to 1.5 degrees is all you need with that short a focal length. The general rule is 1 degree per 30 mm fl.
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

shaun

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2015, 07:23:31 am »

Not what you were asking but shot to minimise focus with full shift & swing focussed on top.28mmlens h3d11 & hts.

Shaun
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 07:26:05 am by shaun »
Pages: [1]   Go Up