Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Goblin Valley ....  (Read 8563 times)

pollarda

Goblin Valley ....
« on: June 16, 2015, 12:55:44 am »

I shot these in Goblin Valley this weekend.  They aren't quite as strong as I'd like but I think they both have potential.  I'd love some feedback. Or, perhaps, these are better than I'm giving them credit for....

Thanks,

Art

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
Re: Goblin Valley ....
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 04:04:42 am »

Very strong compositions, where the sky has lots of interest, hence complementing the rocks in a fine way.

Bob_B

• It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 08:54:50 am »

The b/w processing is great, as is the composition. The first one is particular impressive imho.
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 09:24:08 am »

Good stuff. The sky's the thing.

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 09:26:52 am »

+1!
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 09:35:10 am »

The subjects, i.e. the landscape objects and sky are both very nice. I think that the open sky areas in both are a bit too dark and create a hyper-contrasted sky area that visually over-dominates the landscape below...in some ways the image then becomes about "contrast". I think the landscape elements should have just as much visual weight as the skies ideally. I like second one better, but in that view, would like to see a little more on bottom and sides...bit less on top.
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

thierrylegros396

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 12:51:19 pm »

Like the 2nd as it is.

But I would crop the first something like this.

Thierry

sierraman

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 01:29:35 pm »

I agree about the crop on #1. Nice image.

pollarda

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 03:03:28 pm »

Thanks everyone for the positive comments as well as the suggestions.  They are really appreciated.

Thanks for the suggestion on the cropping of image #1.

One question about cropping: What do people tend to do in regards to cropping if the optimal crop is a strange aspect ratio compared to the usual print aspect ratios?  I have these visions of having a portfolio comprised of photos of unusual aspect ratios.  Should I worry about it or not?

polaris-14

• Portfolio
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2015, 08:54:45 pm »

Love the way the B&W is processed.

I actually have the same questions as Art with regards to unusual aspect ratio. Is it pretty customary to make your own mat?
Adhika Lie
Website | Flickr

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2015, 11:40:55 am »

Like the 2nd as it is.

But I would crop the first something like this.

Thierry

This crop is exactly what I was thinking of. And while the photos are very dramatic, I wonder if they are a bit over-processed?

pollarda

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2015, 12:44:28 pm »

They may have a bit of an over processed look.  The question in my mind is are they over processed because they are over processed or because (and I didn't say anything above), these are both infrared.  Because they are IR, they will have a bit of a dramatic look depending on the subject.  If they are over processed, which of these would you say that it is?

FWIW: I'm working right now on trying to do a number of IR photos where the emphasis isn't on their being IR -- just creating beautiful photos where the fact that they are IR is secondary.  (IMHO, much of the IR is done because of the novelty of IR, not to create a beautiful piece of artwork.)

thierrylegros396

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2015, 01:06:46 pm »

One question about cropping: What do people tend to do in regards to cropping if the optimal crop is a strange aspect ratio compared to the usual print aspect ratios?  I have these visions of having a portfolio comprised of photos of unusual aspect ratios.  Should I worry about it or not?

Until recently I was often scotched to the 3:2 format, but sometimes other formats are better.

I think you should not worry aout that.

Thierry

leuallen

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2015, 02:26:59 pm »

pollarda

When I saw these I knew immediately they were IR as I have been shooting it most of the year.  I don't think they are overprocessed as IR tends to give this kind of result. I agree about the gimmicky aspect and try to to make the images as near to art as I can. One advantage of IR is that you can shoot midday with good results, another is that you get dramatic skies with little risk of blowing them out. I think that you did a fine job.

Larry

LGeb

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2015, 03:38:31 pm »

I try to crop to standard aspect ratios, but will readily go to an unusual one of the image demands it. I cut my own mats so that's not an issue to me.

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2015, 11:15:38 pm »

Discussion about cropping on this forum Typically "opens a can of worms" as there are a number of schools of thought...
  • • one should never need to crop if composition is carefully done prior to releasing the shutter;
  • • out of convenience for matting and framing, one should crop to standard aspect ratios;
  • • one should have the artistic/conceptual freedom to allow the subject/scene to dictate the cropping and not some pre-defined camera engineering constraints or frame manufacturer;
    [•] anywhere in between the three perspectives provided above.
If you want to save money matting or framing, choose 1 or 2. If the photograph is more important than the extra cost or, if will be displayed electronically, choose the third option.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

David Anderson

• http://www.twigwater.com
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2015, 02:34:08 am »

Nice - love the shots..

AreBee

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2015, 01:36:44 pm »

pollarda,

Should I worry about it...

No.

laraaustin

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2015, 04:26:02 am »

Very nice

Peter McLennan

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2015, 12:34:19 pm »

They are indeed much better than you gave them credit for.  You were very fortunate with the weather and you took excellent advantage of it.

The suggested crop on #2 works well. That little cloud on the top of frame was annoying.  I'd crop about the same amount from the top of the vertical one, too.

I agree with luxborealis's practical (as opposed to creative) suggestions on cropping.  If you're going to publish them in a book, then all bets are off.
Pages: [1]   Go Up