Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom CC 2015.1 / 6.1 / Lightroom mobile iOS 1.5 Released  (Read 32201 times)

ihv

• http://www.flickr.com/ihv
Re: Lightroom CC 2015.1 / 6.1 / Lightroom mobile iOS 1.5 Released
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2015, 10:01:30 am »

Well said! But it was clear to some of us that when CC was released with new features but only bug fixes and camera support for perpetual, some would scream bloody murder even though this was discussed and outlined months ago. You're spot on, it was clear that the CC version would get updates and as the perpetual version would have to wait until the next full release. But no matter how often it's said, some don't get it and need a reason to complain and can't live with the choice they made.

I'd have agreed if there wasn't a long thread here in LL about what took so long to have not that many features in the new LR.
And just shortly after the release the CC gets new features.
A random coincidence?

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2015, 10:12:20 am »

Hans -- This is completely off topic, but the next time you're looking for spots try pressing the PageDown key (Fn+Down Arrow on the Mac). It's especially interesting when you get to the bottom of the image :-)

If you mean the visualize spots I know about this feature and I use it sometimes, but I actually prefer panning through to find the spots needed to be fixed.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2015, 10:33:09 am »

I'd have agreed if there wasn't a long thread here in LL about what took so long to have not that many features in the new LR.
And just shortly after the release the CC gets new features.
A random coincidence?

Careful, some people might call you an Adobe hater for stating the obvious ... ;)

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2015, 10:39:02 am »

Careful, some people might call you an Adobe hater for stating the obvious ... ;)
Careful, some people might call you a conspiracy theorist for making assumptions that you believe are obvious without facts!
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2015, 10:39:26 am »

Hans...why is it that you care so much which individual programmers provide the features? Why can you not be happy Adobe as a whole is moving their products along? I personally don't give a rats azz whole writes the code. I think it is well architected code which allows features to be developed once and shared between multiple products.

We already had a long thread about that and the lack of new features in Lightroom (on the PC or Mac) except for what comes from the ACR team. This new release is just a continuation of this trend.

ButchM

« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2015, 10:48:57 am »

Please note before reading this post and responding to it ... I am both a subscriber to the Photography Package and also own perpetual licenses for Photoshop (v2 - CS6) and Lightroom v1-v6). I have more than a passing interest in the issue.

While Adobe did indeed make it quite apparent how they would handle additional new features between CC and perpetual versions of Lr ... one has to ponder the timing of certain things and the decision making behind the process.

Somehow the completion of all the new features released today for Lr CC took exactly 56 days more than what was included in the Lr6/CC release on April 21, 2015. Were any of these features, improvements/enhancements ready before today ... and if so, why were they withheld until today? Are they not to be released to subscribers "when they are ready?"

Ironically one of the reasons Adobe said they felt compelled to abandon perpetual licensing for the Creative Suite apps, because it was just too difficult to complete work for all the apps based upon a specific calendar date so as to schedule the next version release. It was just unfair to place such a burden on the engineers to meet such a fixed deadline ... I always thought that last part kind of silly since the vast majority Adobe software users must meet deadlines constantly.

Yet, since adopting the CC only licensing model ... there has been an annual reveal of new product features each and every year. Why? Why are they intentionally holding back features for this arbitrary deadline when such deadlines were impossible to achieve while selling perpetual licenses for CS? Was someone peeing on my leg and telling me it's raining back then?

Which brings us back to the most recent features released for Lr CC ... had they not been withheld or delayed these items from the April 21 release of Lr6/CC ... there would be nothing of note for Lr CC to be discussed today.

For me, all this just bolsters my opinion that the execs running the show at Adobe can't be believed. I don't mind that Lr 6 licensees won't be able to get the Dehaze slider until v7 ... that's not the issue. The issue is if we can trust any policy statements made by Adobe. Recent history is not a confidence builder in this area.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2015, 11:22:29 am »

Somehow the completion of all the new features released today for Lr CC took exactly 56 days more than what was included in the Lr6/CC release on April 21, 2015. Were any of these features, improvements/enhancements ready before today ... and if so, why were they withheld until today? Are they not to be released to subscribers "when they are ready?"
The only people who know, those who can't nor would speculate are deep inside Adobe. Product managers, engineers, upper management. Those few who are prerelease testers (and I see none I recognize making the speculations) also don't know all the facts and are smart enough not to feed the conspiracy theorists.
So aside from those people, any text written here with respect to the timing of features and releases are speculation and questionably useful. Expect to vent. And there's a forum here for that.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2015, 11:42:57 am »

The only people who know, those who can't nor would speculate are deep inside Adobe.

The only ones who know, aren't going to tell/admit. So all we (normal people) can do is observe what happens, and then apply the duck test, or if you prefer, inductive reasoning.

And as an aside, some new features are deliberately crippled for Lightroom 6.0 purchasers, which can e.g. be proven by this "solution"
So it's not due to maintaining two different versions, but rather deliberate discrimination between license models, as promised by Adobe.

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 11:53:06 am by BartvanderWolf »

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2015, 11:49:29 am »

The only ones who know, aren't going to tell/admit.
Bravo, you're catching on!
So all we (normal people) can do is observe what happens, and then apply the duck test, or if you prefer, inductive reasoning.
Which is justification for speculating which is a waste of your time and those reading the non factual writings. You can call it inductive reasoning but it's speculation and worthless! And as I said, if you wish to rant, there's a forum for that, this isn't it. This is a forum first and foremost about Raw & Post Processing, Printing if you care to use your inductive reasoning to see it's name!

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2015, 11:58:50 am »

Bravo, you're catching on! Which is justification for speculating which is a waste of your time and those reading the non factual writings. You can call it inductive reasoning but it's speculation and worthless! And as I said, if you wish to rant, there's a forum for that, this isn't it. This is a forum first and foremost about Raw & Post Processing, Printing if you care to use your inductive reasoning to see it's name!

The point is that LR version 6.1 does not do all the post processing. And the reason for that is that it follows from the deliberate different treatment of licenses, as promised by Adobe. No inductive reasoning required.

Cheers,
Bart

ButchM

« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2015, 02:13:57 pm »

So aside from those people, any text written here with respect to the timing of features and releases are speculation and questionably useful. Expect to vent. And there's a forum here for that.

It's not speculation. Or venting. Merely an observation of Adobe's past statements as compared to their current actions. That's not speculation ... it's now historical fact.

You may wish to label such discussion as speculative, I'm merely asking the question.  Adobe could eliminate the speculation by being a bit more honest with their customers. Saying one thing, then doing the opposite isn't an indication of honesty. I am questioning past  statements about policy changes and now that some time has passed, I find it ironic in how Adobe conducts their feature release schedule. When at one time, such a release schedule was too arduous, complicated and nearly impossible for the engineers to meet the deadline.

Now three years into CC ... we have had three big reveals for CC software feature releases. To deny they were sandbagging at least some of those features for the Big Show would be considered incredulous by reasonable thinking folk. Seems the only thing that really changed was the licensing policy. They still like a big show on a specific date ... though just a short time ago it was unfair to work under such a burden therefore they were forced to abandon perpetual licensing for CS.

My, how the times have changed ... very little.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2015, 02:48:00 pm »

Which brings us back to the most recent features released for Lr CC ... had they not been withheld or delayed these items from the April 21 release of Lr6/CC ... there would be nothing of note for Lr CC to be discussed today.

Well, having been through the beta testing process and knowing when Dehaze showed up, I can tell you that Dehaze could not have been able to be finished before the release of LR CC/6.0. While the technology that Dehaze was based on had been a sandbox research effort that had been around since the last Adobe MAX, it wasn't productized until very recently.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2015, 02:57:54 pm »

Well, having been through the beta testing process and knowing when Dehaze showed up, I can tell you that Dehaze could not have been able to be finished before the release of LR CC/6.0. While the technology that Dehaze was based on had been a sandbox research effort that had been around since the last Adobe MAX, it wasn't productized until very recently.
Jeff, I've heard that Dehaze is adaptive to the image content, that there's really nothing in the ACR engine previous to it's introduction that follows suite. Can you or maybe Eric if still around comment?

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2015, 03:00:11 pm »

Jeff, I've heard that Dehaze is adaptive to the image content, that there's really nothing in the ACR engine previous to it's introduction that follows suite. Can you or maybe Eric if still around comment?

"The Dehaze technology is based on a physical model of how light is transmitted, and it tries to estimate light that is lost due to absorption and scattering through the atmosphere"

http://blogs.adobe.com/jkost/2015/06/julieannes-top-5-new-features-in-photoshop-cc-2015-and-lightroom-cc-2015.html

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2015, 03:00:16 pm »

... why were they withheld until today?... Why? Why..

Oh, please! Grow up. Adobe, like any other company, is in the business of making money. Crippling features, timing releases, discriminating versions and pricing policies... these are all time-proven, legitimate marketing strategies.

Instead of psycho-analyzing Adobe's strategy, just use and enjoy this damn good product, that is giving us tools today unheard of in the history of photography. They are giving us this phenomenal product, at the pace and with features as they are pleased, because, guess what, it is their product. You want better features, released at and for your convenience, write the damn code yourself.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2015, 03:02:38 pm »

Instead of psycho-analyzing Adobe's strategy, just use and enjoy this damn good product, that is giving us tools today unheard of in the history of photography. They are giving us this phenomenal product, at the pace and with features as they are pleased, because, guess what, it is their product. You want better features, released at and for your convenience, write the damn code yourself.
We are in violent agreement (see, that's now like three times)  ;D

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2015, 03:04:37 pm »

Oh, please! Grow up. Adobe, like any other company, is in the business of making money. Crippling features, timing releases, discriminating versions and pricing policies... these are all time-proven, legitimate marketing strategies.

Well put. Nobody's forcing anyone to buy anything.

Jeremy

jrp

« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2015, 03:11:37 pm »

The new Lightroom features in action https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ey0KQv6kLQ

chez

« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2015, 03:14:38 pm »

Yes...well said. If anything, let's bitch at the competition that is not driving Adobe's hind end. They are now in charge and can do whatever Adobe wants to do. Consumers are in charge of their own destinations and are free to look elsewhere. The constant Adobe bashing from the same crew here gets tiring very fast.

ButchM

« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2015, 03:21:06 pm »

They are giving us this phenomenal product, at the pace and with features as they are pleased, because, guess what, it is their product. You want better features, released at and for your convenience, write the damn code yourself.

They are not giving us anything. We are purchasing the right to use it. As long as I'm paying for my licenses, I'll thank you to keep your advice to yourself. If I discover a discrepancy in their sated reasons for making such sweeping changes in policy ... then continue to conduct themselves as before ... I'll point that out and I don't need your permission or approval to do so.

When you step up and pay my licensing fess, I may take your sage advice under consideration. Funny, how you are conspicuous by your absence at such times ... but feel you have the right to dictate my opinion.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up