Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can Credo and IQ MFDBs wear out?  (Read 2692 times)

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
Can Credo and IQ MFDBs wear out?
« on: June 15, 2015, 05:25:30 pm »

What is the lifetime of these backs? The Credo's have no moving parts except the catches but the IQ backs have four buttons as well.

My Credo 60 has had about 8,800 activations in three years and is performing well but I have been offered an IQ180 with 30,500 activations.

Should I be concerned about this seemingly high number or is the number of activations irrelevant these days so long as the buttons are not about to fall off?

Let me know the number of activations of your back if you have used it more than 30,000 times. Who has used their back the most?
Roger
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

yashima

Re: Can Credo and IQ MFDBs wear out?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 05:42:05 pm »

I have once rented a Phase back with, believe it or not, nearly 1,000,000 actuations. And it works fine. At the same time, rental gears are regularly maintained. Personal gears, after warranty, usually only get serviced when something fails. So 30k is really nothing for these workhorse. As long as you get them serviced every 100k I think they should be fine for 1m.

Hank Keeton

• SeeingTao
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 08:31:24 pm »

Hi Roger...I have an Aptus-65 with about the same activations....and no signs of worries.

But...if you're interested in selling your Credo-60....let me know.

I'm a Hassy-V shooter.....what's your mount?

Cheers,

Hank
....always seeking.....

SeeingTao.com

jwkwoo

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 02:03:00 am »

My P40+ just hit 71,000 actuations. No concern that it will fail. Rather more worried about my DF+ breaking down!

torger

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 02:07:52 am »

Having heard a lot of user reports around the net I haven't heard anything concerning wearing out so I would not be worried at all.

That it has many shots is just a sign that it's working :-). What can be problematic with MFDBs is that early releases can have some bugs and need service to get going properly, the IQ had some battery bug if I remember correctly now fixed in firmware. Getting someone's backup back virtually unused may be riskier than a back that has proven itself. You can in any case always send it in for service though (at a fee).

Chris Livsey

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 02:41:49 am »

So one or two so far go for a "service". If the back is working normally and has no moving parts, other than the catch and buttons, what can be "serviced" ?
Check the buttons work, you do that, check the output, you do that, map out failed pixels, I understand C1 can do largely do that (well mine maps out hot pixels on longer noisier exposures (P20) ?
What's left to "service", perhaps one of our dealers could expand and let us know the official line from Phase or post in the Phase forum.

yashima

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 10:11:44 am »

at the top of my head, calibration, check/clean circuit board for moisture/dust ..

sbernthal

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 01:40:29 pm »

Yes, it can definitely wear out.
However, 30K is a low number.

What can wear out:
- camera mount clutch - that is no laughing matter, I've had one back latched on to a mount board and I had to pay something like $800 to release it.
- comm connectors - I've also had one fail and replaced for over $2000, but this was on an earlier model
- the screen can fail - just like on any mobile phone

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 02:08:03 pm »

The tethering cable port connection seems like the Achilles heel on some of previous generations - never heard of it with the Credo.   Some older HB were prone to fungus under the sensor cover glass but not heard of it with a Phase or Leaf back.    And did I read somewhere that if you have them at high altitude for long periods of time (astronaut or frequent filer?) you can get degradation of the sensor - black pixels.   But in reality they are quite durable.  I wouldn't worry about it. Just don't drop it!
Rolleiflex USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up