Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 10  (Read 34594 times)

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Windows 10
« on: June 14, 2015, 04:20:29 pm »

For those of us who are on Windows 7/8 there is a free upgrade to Windows 10 coming up.  A beta test version has been out for several months and I've seen a lot of reports from the gaming and overclocking community that this may be the best Windows version yet because of it's support for new video standards.  I'm wondering whether anyone has tested Windows 10 for Adobe software products and if so could they post their experience.  I'm unsure about updating but given it is free and Windows 7 will eventually be phased out it might be a good time to do so.

Some Guy

Re: Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 08:00:46 pm »

WAIT.

I was just listening to "The Tech Guy" Leo Laporte, on the radio and evidently 10 Beta has a ton of bugs in it still.  MS is trying to make tabs, computers, and phones all play well together with 10, and they aren't - yet.

I made a bad mistake of buying 8.0 and then Microsoft decided it wasn't good and came out with 8.1.  Bad part is I cannot install just 8.1 on a re-install (Mine's snackered up bad now!) and I'd have to reformat and go back to 8.0 and then download 8.1 again, and then whatever programs I need.  That is due because the installation serial number key on the 8.0 disk does not work with 8.1.  Option is to buy a new 8.1 disk with a new key.  MS has never pulled that crap before.  Imagine a new key needed for Windows 7.1 or XP.1 and paying for it after they screwed up the original release.

No doubt the first non-beta release will still be bug ridden for a few months.  So WAIT.

SG

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 07:43:17 am »

Yes, I'll certainly wait!  I don't see a real compelling need unless there is a performance gain to be had.  I've not seen anything on the Internet about Win10 and Adobe products; most everything posted is from the gaming community.  At this point Win7 performs just fine.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 09:40:43 am »

Too lazy to look right now, do you if it will require a complete reinstall with all the programs or you can just upgrade it?
I usually do a clean install but with the paid software that I have I'm more reluctant than usual.

jnewell

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 07:46:04 pm »

Based on what I've read, you can either do an upgrade installation or install on a bare disk.  One thing that MS is already doing right with Win 10 is that the license key that you get as an upgrade for an existing copy of Win 7/Win 8 will work for future installations without requiring installation of an earlier OS version.

Doug Fisher

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 09:12:04 am »

This is a case where it really pays to do a full disk image/backup to your backup drive before you upgrade in case you need to revert/restore.

Some Guy

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 01:17:07 pm »

My brother got an email from MS about it being a free upgrade for the first year.  He seems to read it as free for a year, and then pay for a 'service' (?) after that (to even keep it?).  I don't believe in "10 is free forever" from MS as it sounds too fishy.

My 8.0 to 8.1 is totally screwed and I never get any updates so I doubt if MS will contact me on the 10 update.  I may buy the damn thing since they want me to pay for a new key for 8.1 since the key for 8.0 that I bought for $100 doesn't work with 8.1.  I'm not fond of all these automatic updates and patchwares as I think they screw it up at some point.

He says he will stay with 8.1 since his is working well and came with 8.1.  Mine (8.0>8.1) is pretty much a basket case due to some update and MS says I have to go back and do a new install of 8.0, and then 8.1, and then install all the programs once 8.1 is installed and working.  Takes me about a week to do all that stuff.  My RAID seems to be a copy of the mess I have now so even it got hosed and cannot roll back.

Fwiw, ain't white screens and fade-out icons with "An error has occurred.  The program needs to be closed or cancelled." warning a wonderful update to the older "Blue screen of death"?

Enough to drive me to Apple (almost) if it weren't for their Colorsync profile "Our way or else" attitude with printers.

SG

sandymc

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 03:37:49 pm »

I've been testing the "technical preview" of Windows 10. Compatibility seems ok, and it's a much better product in terms of user interface than Windows 8. Also, it runs fluidly on a fairly old test machine, so should fly on modern hardware. In fact, in some ways it's a better product than Yosemite, and in my view the last time Windows was better than OS X was back when Windows XP came out(!)

But I have to agree with the comments above on bugs - for a product that's weeks away from launch it has some really serious, blatant bugs. And  that's as a clean install, with no third party drivers or apps loaded. A bit concerning.

Rainer SLP

• RS-Fotografia
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2015, 03:50:29 pm »

Thanks and regards Rainer
 I am here for

Some Guy

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 11:24:59 am »

Since I have yet to get the update offer from my 8.0 > 8.1 computer to move to 10, I was wondering if it might be more advantageous to just go out and buy the 10 disk when it shows up in stores?

I'll wait a few months before doing so since MS had the disastrous 8.0 version out and then went to 8.1 where my 8.1 got messed up with some auto update of theirs (That they pulled the next day once it was too late!) and mine no longer accepts updates (Hence, no 10 offer) nor can I do a restore, etc. since they buggered it up.  Their suggested option is to buy 8.1 since the key is different that 8.0, or roll back to 8.0 with my disk, update to 8.1 and all the patches, and then update to 10 if I get the update offer doing it that way.

If I were to go with the 10 update free offer, if it buggers up like it is now, does that mean you have to go back to 8.0 or 8.1 and then update to 10 (All over again?) if they will not supply a key to do a fresh install of 10 without the need to install prior editions of the OS back to whenever?  Seems buying 10 outright might be a better move since they want me to buy 8.1, and the newer key for that, if I do not want to go back to 8.0, then update to 8.1 which seems like I am just patching the system and may do more damage than a fresh install of 10 from scratch.

Questions.  Questions.

SG

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2015, 10:43:33 am »

Has anyone heard whether the Win 10 install maintains all your "in place" programs and simply updates the OS and registry? I LOATH the thought of it trashing everything (which is what you have to do if you want to repair it.) I have way too many programs installed to go through that debacle any time soon.

Nemo

Farmer

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2015, 11:59:23 pm »

The update works very well, and upgrades the OS and keeps all your programs, drivers, etc. in place and functional.  The only thing I had that didn't upgrade was a BIOS upgrade utility from my motherboard manufacturer - since it by passes the OS and the HAL, it's not surprising that Win 10 upgrade didn't know what to do with it.  All good.

The upgrade is free.  There's no ongoing cost if you upgrade for the machine on which you upgrade (the upgrade is not transferable to a new machine - that's the one limitation).

Well worth doing.  There is no particular need to wait.  I'm running all manner of things from Office to PS to Lightroom to games to virtualisation to you name it.  All works.
Phil Brown

DeanChriss

• http://www.dmcphoto.com
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2015, 03:41:59 am »

Windows 10 is available as a free upgrade until June 27, 2016. Windows 7 will be supported with security updates through February 14, 2020.

Windows 10 should be a very good OS, but I have read about quite a few issues including some with NEC monitors and Spectraview. It is very likely that these will all be fixed at some point, but it is still early in Windows 10 rollout. Since I have no problems or complaints about Windows 7 there is nothing to be gained by upgrading now rather than later.

I plan to make a fresh system image that can be restored from a boot disk and try Windows 10 sometime in early June 2016. If there are issues with any of my hardware or software I'll put back Windows 7 and move to Windows 10 with my next computer. That will certainly happen before 2020.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 03:49:05 am by DeanChriss »
- Dean

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2015, 08:47:23 am »

The update works very well, and upgrades the OS and keeps all your programs, drivers, etc. in place and functional. 
this is my biggest complaint about Win 10.  I do not want MSFT mandating changes.  I'm fine with security patches but too often they link to non-functional drivers and bloatware not to mention "spyware" (depending on how broadly you want to define the term).

I finished a new workstation build earlier this month and installed Win 8.1.  I see no compelling reason to upgrade other than it's "free."  Even were I to go down this route, I would wait six months until they issued the major patches (I think one is to come out in a month or two) and wait for all the hardware/software manufacturers to catch up.  The only advantage I've seen to Win 10 is a new graphics standard which largely benefits gamers which I am not.

I'm pretty much of the school, if it ain't broke don't fix it, school.  It looks to me that Windows is migrating to an Apple OS model which has it's own problems as well documented over the years here on LuLa.

TomFrerichs

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2015, 10:01:55 am »

I've now got three machines upgraded to Windows 10: a laptop, a tablet, and my primary desktop. I must say that the process was painless, except for two things I've listed below, and everything works as well as it ever did.  This includes not only all of the imaging software (CS6, LR6, on1, DxO, even some old Corel stuff) but also a variety of synthesizers and samplers.

The UI is different from Windows 7 and Windows 8, but it is, to my mind, much closer to Windows 7 than to 8. It feels more like "home" to me, and I can adapt to the changes.

I had two issues, and both on the desktop. First, I got the blue screen of death because of issues with my SSDs. BTW, the Windows 10 BSOD is much prettier than the Windows 7.  Now I'd had this problem with Windows 7, and it was a known issue with Asus motherboards and Marvell chipsets/drivers. I had instituted a work-around for Windows 7, but the upgrade broke that. However, I was finally able to get the Windows-hosted BIOS upgrade program to work--it had never worked correctly under Windows 7--and that finally fixed the problem permanently. The other issue was a problem with a Focusrite USB sound interface. The beta driver from Focusrite -- NOT the lens tuning software, BTW -- fixed that issue.

All in all, I must say that after some time using Windows 10 I'm pleased.  Yeah, I've gone in an uninstalled a few added things, such as feeds about sports or money, but I've not found the added bits to be that offensive.

Tom

Pictus

• Retouching
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2015, 02:03:48 pm »

« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 02:06:36 pm by Pictus »

Farmer

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2015, 01:41:10 am »

Your biggest complaint is that it works?  And upgrades seamlessly?  I guess you have no complaints.

It uses fewer resources, uses resources more efficiently and effectively, and it's free.  /shrug.
Phil Brown

Larry Heath

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2015, 06:53:41 pm »

Hi there,

So Win 10 seems to play fairly well in standalone upgrade situations, but does anyone have any words of wisdom for computers that live in a networked environment? I’ve got six computers mostly win 7 pro and one 8.1 pro a legacy XP unit and three printers that are all attached to a small WD DX 4000 server running windows 2008 R2 server software. Right now everyone is playing really nice together. I’ve spent the last 3 or 4 years learning to administer this little circus but I am fearful of the carnage that I could do if updating the OS in client computers starts going wrong in this environment.

Anyone out there with server administration expertise have any words of wisdom? So is there any upside as far as system wide stability and or longevity to be had in doing client computer OS upgrades? Further I’ve been gifted a virgin copy of Windows Server 2012 with 25 client licences, is there any reason to consider a server OS upgrade?

Later Larry

Lightsmith

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2015, 05:21:17 pm »

I have yet to read of a single reason for migrating from an earlier version of Windows to Windows 10. Not a single one. With Vista the gain was the 64-bit OS and with Windows 7 the gain was 10% improved performance over Vista and only a 40% performance hit compared to XP.

There were no tangible benefits for the end user with Windows 8 and there are none for the end user with Windows 10. It benefits Microsoft to be sure and it may be better on a tablet than earlier versions but that is hardly a reason to make the switch and then see what problems arise over the next 12 months.

I have been working with Microsoft's operating systems since DOS 1.0 and all of them have had serious flaws and security issues and it has never been a good idea to switch to  a new version of Windows until the first Service Pack has been released and out on "pioneers" computers for a month.

Switching to Windows 10 when your computers are running OK with their present operating system makes zero sense. I have a laptop still using XP and it works fine and the applications don't need a 64-bit OS and large memory space so no need to downgrade the OS to one that makes the laptop run half as fast. Same applies to the 5 laptops that are running Windows 7 - if it ain't broke why "fix" it?

armand

• Photos
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2015, 07:38:53 pm »

Upgraded few weeks ago on my desktop, these days on the laptops. No drama, works just fine. Didn't get to play with the laptops to see the difference in performance.
The only software that got lost in translation was the Norton Internet Security, a fresh install took care of this.
The Adobe stuff runs fine although apparently some people have issues with the rendering speed of previews in LR if they keep checked the hardware acceleration.

Supposedly it will run faster than win 7?! Can't say I've yet noticed a difference in the desktop performance but it was running ok for usual stuff anyway.

PS. The upgrade was from win 8 mostly, where I really didn't get along with the interface
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 07:42:02 pm by armand »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up