Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 10  (Read 34593 times)

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
Re: Windows 10
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2015, 11:54:25 am »

Has anyone done an upgrade from W8.1 running Classic Shell? For those who don't know, Classic Shell makes the UI of 8.1 look and feel much like W7 (or not so different to XP, which is where I previously upgraded from)... the standard W8/8.1 UI was indigestible for me.

The thing that most worries me is the paranoia level of the security: having to double back somersaults with twist to get administrator rights on my own machine was the most painful part of migrating to W8.1, if I have to go through that again for W10... I'll be holding off for a bit. Similarly for having to work so hard to get permission to access files on my NAS...

Farmer

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2015, 08:01:55 pm »

Win 10 is more like Win 7 already - classic shell shouldn't be an issue.

Admin rights?  Simple.  Zero problems.

Reasons to upgrade?  Cleaner, more efficient UI, lower resource use, more robust underlying system and enhanced security (without impacting usability).  Excellent stability.

For anyone who has seen "zero reasons" to upgrade, well, you may want to actually use it.
Phil Brown

thejimmy86

• The Mercurist
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2015, 08:50:26 pm »

I got 10 almost as soon as I could. Anything had to be better than 8. I was getting close to downgrading to 7. But 10 seems fine, it updates at night when I'm not on it, and performance seems fine. Lightroom, Chrome and FL Studio seem to run just fine as well. Apparently they upgraded the windows Raw viewer, so unlike some other versions of windows you can view a lot of Raw files. I like that, although my LX100 files not surprisingly aren't supported.

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2015, 11:45:26 am »

Did the upgrade 8.1 to 10 on the weekend. Really zero problems, I was amazed.

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2015, 01:09:00 pm »

Upgraded two different boxes with zero issues. Seems a bit faster, but not absolutely. The only problem I have had over the last 3 weeks or so is that my paper profiles for LR CC printing reverted to default (I had to re-add them) and I failed to check before I tried a print.

tived

• http://
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2015, 03:29:35 am »

upgraded workstation (w7pro) and laptop/tablet (w8.1pro) without any problems - almost too easy  ;D  ;D

so far no problems, there is the usual learning curve, but I discover them as I come across it, it has not prevented me from doing work. Workstation is 5 years old, and on its way out, at least in its current configuration.

Henrik

DeanChriss

• http://www.dmcphoto.com
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2015, 08:33:26 am »

Windows 10 seems to give Microsoft some new tools also. The following is an excerpt from the Windows 10 privacy policy:

"We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to protect our customers or enforce the terms governing the use of the services."

Seems just a little over the top ...
- Dean

Larry Heath

« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2015, 08:30:24 pm »

Not that it isn’t like this now, but it sounds like Microsoft is telling every user very plainly that we are able and willing to monitor every keystroke you make while using our software.  You have ZERO expectation of any privacy if you use our software, period.

Damn that is one badass ugly sentence.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2015, 09:24:09 pm »

Not that it isn’t like this now, but it sounds like Microsoft is telling every user very plainly that we are able and willing to monitor every keystroke you make while using our software.  You have ZERO expectation of any privacy if you use our software, period.

Damn that is one badass ugly sentence.
There are Win7 and Win8.1 updates that will do the same thing if you use those OS.  There are work arounds to do away with the snooping but the only reliable way to get away from it is to run Linux.  Unfortunately, Adobe products don't come in Linux versions.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up