Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson p800 Vs Canon Pixma Pro-1 dilemma  (Read 16959 times)

barry685

• http://www.barrystudios.com
Epson p800 Vs Canon Pixma Pro-1 dilemma
« on: June 14, 2015, 02:07:27 pm »

I am about to purchase a small scale printer for the sole purpose of printing borderless 4x6, 5x7, 8x10, and 11x14's on luster paper. The printer will get moderate use.
I have no need to print anything larger on this printer because I also own a canon ipf 6300.
I was about to place an order for an Epson p800 but have decided to also be purchase a Canon 5ds. Canon currently has a $350.00 rebate When purchasing a 5ds + a Canon Pixma pro -1 printer + some paper. I am aware that printing 11x14's borderless on the Canon is not supported but there is a work around for that.
What is your opinion?
Thanks

andyadler

Re: Epson p800 Vs Canon Pixma Pro-1 dilemma
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 03:35:05 pm »

Epson P600?

barry685

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 04:05:06 pm »

No rebate on P600. Ink cost maybe slightly higher?

dseelig

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 11:52:49 pm »

IF YOU are in a dry climate stay away from Epson.

Robert DeCandido PhD

• http://www.BirdingBob.com
Re: How about the Canon Pixma Pro 100?
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 11:50:15 am »

From my reading, the 100 is a better printer, and much less expensive, than the Pro-10. The latter is pigment ink...Pro 100 is dye ink.

Here is some info on the Pro-100 - which can be found for $100-$150:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/55988973

barry685

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 12:47:12 pm »

Robert,
I'M interested in the Pro -1. not the 10 or 100

MHMG

Re: How about the Canon Pixma Pro 100?
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 12:53:35 pm »

From my reading, the 100 is a better printer, and much less expensive, than the Pro-10. The latter is pigment ink...Pro 100 is dye ink.

Here is some info on the Pro-100 - which can be found for $100-$150:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/55988973

It never ceases to amaze me how quickly the DpReview threads on the Pro-100 turn towards recommendations of using third party refill cartridges and ink. Kind of like buying a Ferrari, and then deciding it's imperative to then save money by filling it with 87 octane fuel.

I have not tested a third party dye-based inkset yet that delivers more than about 1-2 Megalux hours of light fade resistance on any media. That's approximately 1 year on display to reach easily noticeable fading at the often cited Willhelm 450 lux daily average illumination level. Of course, one can find rooms in a typical home that drop down to a museum illumination level of 50 lux or less, and under those circumstances, the fugitive print will then take about 9 years on display to reach easily noticeable fade.  So, many recent converts to third party inks are quite happy with annectdotal stories that they've had their prints on the wall "a few years" and have seen no fading.  Just give it a few years longer. It will get there sooner than you think :)

All that said, the Pro-100 will deliver best in class dye-based print longevity if using the OEM cartridges, better than Epson Claria (due to the photo gray inks stabilizing the low chroma colors) and definitely better than traditional RA-4 chromogenic color paper like Fuji Crystal Archive II.  Depending on media, prints made with the CLI-42 ink set in the Pro-100 will reach the 30-40+ Megalux hour lightfastness range, as much as 50x better than third party inks.

And, as an owner of a Pro-100, I do think it is indeed a great little printer. I have a Pro-1 and an Epson SC P600 (which is the little brother to the p800) here in my lab as well. All great printers with excellent reliability so far. The P800 is going to ultimately give you lower cost of ownership, but to get there you will have to print several hundred 8x10 equivalent prints or more, so if you don't need the larger sheet size, and don't plan on making a few hundred prints per year, the Pro-1 (or the Epson SC P600) probably makes more sense. Also, the Pro-1's clearcoat definitely reduces bronzing and gloss differential compared to the Ultrachrome HD ink used in the P600/P800 models. It's not 100% perfect, but when used in the "overall" rather than "auto" clearcoat mode, it gets pretty close on a wide variety of glossy/luster media. The auto mode really should have been named "economy" clearcoat mode because it puts no clearcoat down in the white/near white areas of the image, thus leaving differenital gloss problems even as bronzing is reduced.  Anyway, if bronzing and gloss differential bother you, and you like printing a lot on glossy/luster media, the Pro-1 is probably the way to go.

best,
Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 09:37:05 am by MHMG »

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 07:58:56 pm »

IF YOU are in a dry climate stay away from Epson.
of course the 3800/3880 never really suffered from such problems.  Assuming the p800 follows in that manner (supposedly the same or very similar head as well as other internals) then maybe not a real factor.

I would compare things like ink tank size/cost/ml, paper handling characteristics, etc. The p800 addresses Epson longevity issues and offers some nice gains in blacks and shadow detail rendering.  Also consider the tradition of the 3800/3880 ... one of the best inkjet printers ever made.

I'm pretty excited to get my hands on a p800. But the Canon produces great prints, and can often be had for a real deal if buying some other Canon gear.

barry685

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2015, 03:47:00 am »

I went with the Pixma. With the rebate it was $550..

dseelig

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2015, 01:45:23 am »

Wayne Epson told me the 3880 did suffer from dry climate problems and I live in a dry climate and got a blown head and stuck valve in 2 1/2 years of ownership, then Epson blew me off

joesant

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2015, 02:29:51 pm »

At my work we have both the Epson p800 and the Canon Pro-1 just started printing on both and would say what I like about the canon is that the black inks don't have to be switched back and forth between pk and mk. But it is very slow compared to the Epson P800. So far the Epson prints looks better has much darker and richer blacks than the Canon even our 3880's look better but Im printing swatches with Canon and Epson's printer profiles and haven't ventured beyond that. When something is wrong with the canon it doesn't give you error message its power light flashes and you have to count the amount of flashes to determine whats wrong where the Epson has a nice touch screen and spells out what is wrong. We are in a dry climate and always had problems with 3800/3880s head clogs haven't had problems yet with the p800 or the canon pro-1 but its still pretty new. I'll post more when I gain more experience with these printers

jed best

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2015, 02:53:25 pm »

I have both a Epson 3880 and P 800 and used to also have a 4900. My 4900 often had clogs that required numerous head cleanings.  I have had the P800 the day they were release for purchase and had to do only one minor head cleaning. The printer is used mostly on weekends and I live in an apartment in Manhattan so the air is very dry. In fact, when I had the 4900 I had a humidifier by the printer to help The P800 requires no such assistance. I use the P800 with Imageprint 10 and the prints are stunning.

Hope this helps.

Jed
Pages: [1]   Go Up