Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 105mm graduated filter systems  (Read 6657 times)

gagemanning

105mm graduated filter systems
« on: June 14, 2015, 11:12:15 am »

Hello, first time to post here.  I've recently decided to purchase a Phase One camera (I've been using Leica S typ 006).  I'm going to be buying either there new 35mm or 40-80mm lens, both use 105mm filters.  I would like to buy a few graduated filters but need to know what adapter ring and filters work best?  My assumption is that I need to use the Lee 150mm filter adapter with a step-down ring adapter?  Any thoughts would be helpful. 

thanks,

gage

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: 105mm graduated filter systems
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 11:52:14 am »

As far as I know Lee does not make a 150mm adapter, they make the SW150 system, which is designed to fit the Nikon 14-24.  Lee has recently changed up the light shield for this setup and may now make an adapter that fits to 105mm, but I have not read about it.

Lee makes a 105mm standard ring for their 100 x 100mm filters, but that will not work either as the ring when mounted to the front of the lens will vignette, and the 100 x 100 won't quite fit the 105mm opening of your lens considerations.

I am looking at the 105mm Hitech ND solutions in the Firecrest lineup, but I don't use grads.

There are other brands out there like the company that makes the setup for the Sigma 14mm, again it's designed to fit over the tulip hood. 

You would need the Lee 150mm x 170mm grads or 150 x 150 solids, and may need to look for a custom adapter being make like from a company such as SK Grimes, (in the US). 

Depending on your back in use, CMOS or CCD, if you are using a CMOS back with your Phase One camera, you might be able to hand hold the Grad as long as your back is on a tripod.

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

gagemanning

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 06:21:00 pm »

Paul,

Thank you!  As I was posting my original question I found a Lee filter holder of my own that you mentioned and I would assume it would have some bad vignetting.  I'll look into SK Grimes and others.

gage

www.rangetraveler.com

Richard Osbourne

• Richard Osbourne Art Images
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 07:16:40 am »

It's amazing to me that Phase don't do something about this (preferably by designing it with a 95mm front thread!). I can't see that Lee would do it as it's a very niche product. I am considering the 40-80 but the lack of filter holder is a real issue.

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 12:10:52 am »

I too was looking for a 105mm solution and first thought of Lee and their SW150 system, sadly they only go to 95mm.  I wrote Lee asking if they planned to produce a 105mm and they responded saying no, that currently 95mm was their largest.  They then suggested I use a reducer ring...

Take a look at Cokin XPro.  I just ordered their 105mm adaptor ring and a couple of filters for the 40-80.

Don

gagemanning

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 10:20:34 pm »

Don,

Can you let me know how well or bad it works?

Gage

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 10:39:53 pm »

Will do.  The ring is a special order meaning a couple weeks before I get it, hopefully I'll have the 40-80 by then.

rxchaos

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2015, 06:37:13 pm »

I use HiTech & Lee 150mm width square/rectangle filters on my Hasselblad 28mm and 35mm lenses (95mm filter thread). The filter holder from LinhofStudio in the UK works very well. You need to get the right sized donut ring to match your lens.  The kit ships with a 105mm donut ring. The solution is a tad pricey, but works very well. The folk at LinohfStudio are very helpful, I'd suggest talking with them. Here's the link to the product...
http://www.linhofstudio.com/products/The-LSL-XXL-Filter-Holder

Lucroit make an adapter to hold 165mm width filters, and with their adapter rings it may fit your lens.  The holder snaps on to the adapter ring, and the adapter ring snaps on to the lens barrel or the UV filter  you have might have on the lens.  The Lucroit holder didn't suit my needs very well, as their adapter ring would only fit on an original Hasselblad 95mm UV filter. This was about a year ago, things may have changed. At at time I had B+W and Zeiss UV filters on the lenses. To me it seemed that you'd need to get a different adapter ring each time to match the outer diameter of the UV or other filter you have on the lens.

-c

gagemanning

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2015, 08:30:11 pm »

Thanks rxchaos.  I just got a loaner 40-80mm and appears to be a great lens.  I'll look into those filter holders.

gage

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 10:49:20 am »

My 40-80 arrived yesterday afternoon.  Despite the weight I find it easy to handhold which is possible due to how well balanced it is.  I should have the 105mm adaptor ring later today and the filter holder tomorrow and will begin the filter tests Thursday.  The one comment I have is one the lens hood.  I also have the 240LS however the lens hood on the 40-80 just feels good.  It's large (bordering of huge) yet there's a very positive feel to it when attaching or removing it from the lens.

Don

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2015, 11:21:36 am »

I've waited a couple days to post this making certain that everything works.

Short story (a longer one is here on our blog is I love both the lens and Cokin X-Pro.  The lens is a beast yet it produces stunning files using an IQ180 on a older Phase DF body (I hope to have the newer XF by the end of the month).  The filter system was a little touch and go due mainly to the 105mm adaptor ring offered by Cokin.  Seems they offer 2-different rings that have 2-different threads; .75 and 1.00.  I have both and the 1.00 is the one to get as it spun on the lens once the threads caught. 

Don

gagemanning

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2015, 04:05:39 pm »

Don,

Thanks, I read your blog. System looks promising. Do you know if cokin makes 4mm filter holder that you can use on there x-pro. I've found using 4mm glass filters are the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2015, 04:08:28 pm »

Sorry no, you'll have to contact them for that info.

gagemanning

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2015, 05:01:15 pm »

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bombo

• Facebook/bomboholder
    • The Profesional filter's holder manufactor
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2016, 04:55:14 am »

Hello, first time to post here.  I've recently decided to purchase a Phase One camera (I've been using Leica S typ 006).  I'm going to be buying either there new 35mm or 40-80mm lens, both use 105mm filters.  I would like to buy a few graduated filters but need to know what adapter ring and filters work best?  My assumption is that I need to use the Lee 150mm filter adapter with a step-down ring adapter?  Any thoughts would be helpful. 

thanks,

gage
I have a plan to develop a new system including adapter ring bigger than 95mm can adapt to 130mm, 150mm and 165mm filters system, pls wait for about month later
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 05:02:05 am by bombo »

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2016, 12:52:50 am »

I've waited a couple days to post this making certain that everything works.

Short story (a longer one is here on our blog is I love both the lens and Cokin X-Pro.  The lens is a beast yet it produces stunning files using an IQ180 on a older Phase DF body (I hope to have the newer XF by the end of the month).  The filter system was a little touch and go due mainly to the 105mm adaptor ring offered by Cokin.  Seems they offer 2-different rings that have 2-different threads; .75 and 1.00.  I have both and the 1.00 is the one to get as it spun on the lens once the threads caught. 

Don
so an update on this, after reading Don's blog I decided to try out the Cokin xPro filter holder, but the 105mm 1.0 pitch adaptor is now listed as discontinued on B&H and no luck finding it anywhere.  I'm not too keen on using the other as I'm afraid it will strip the threads. I my see if SKGrimes can make one.

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2016, 11:09:08 am »

so an update on this, after reading Don's blog I decided to try out the Cokin xPro filter holder, but the 105mm 1.0 pitch adaptor is now listed as discontinued on B&H and no luck finding it anywhere.  I'm not too keen on using the other as I'm afraid it will strip the threads. I my see if SKGrimes can make one.

Wayne - I happen to be selling my Cokin filters which include the ring (I've switched to Lee in order to have the same filters across all my lenses) Give me a PM if you're interested.  The sale thread is buried in the sale portion; I'll see if I can find it and bring it back to life.

Don
Pages: [1]   Go Up