Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rediscovering 8x10. Creating a thing of significance  (Read 4101 times)

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
Rediscovering 8x10. Creating a thing of significance
« on: June 13, 2015, 10:36:26 pm »

A fine video on Nick's obsession. It's difficult to explain but think I understand why film is a "thing" and digital is not. For me it's partly associated with an obsession to see what I've photographed in print and not on a screen, to physically hold a piece of paper with an image on it, to smell the fresh ink and to walk from room to room looking at the image in different light and seeing how the texture of the paper shows up, and to tear the print it to shreds if it fails.
But using film goes deeper.
I recall returning from Antarctica a few years ago. The "originals" of the digital images on the cf cards had long gone. I was carrying copies on the laptop in my backpack, copies on a Hyperdrive in my suitcase and copies on a hard drive in my coat pocket.
But I'd taken a couple of 100 year old cameras with me (it was the centenary of Amundsen reaching the pole) and getting that film through 8 security checks un-xrayed, and home and developed was interesting. Not to mention using the cameras in unfamiliar surroundings with no light meter and the knowledge that there were 10 rolls of 120 film and that was it. Get the exposure wrong, forget to roll the film on correctly, forget to correctly load and unload it, forget where the gaff tape went to stop light leaks and that would be it. No going back.
I love using digital cameras but that film exists in the physical universe in a way that the digital files do not.
My current toys are a couple of No. 4 Screen Focus Kodak (1904 - 1910) modified to take 120 film. You need the patience of a saint to use them but what fun it is.
David

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: Rediscovering 8x10. Creating a thing of significance
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 09:33:00 pm »

Interesting video indeed.

I must say that it very much echoes what I went through when I started 4x5. I was probably less aware about the physicality of the medium, but very much benefitted also from the slow shooting, organic approach to building an image and getting the conditions right.

That's one part I very much find in common with the stitching that sort of replace 4x5 in my mind, if not in my heart.

Where do I stand 10 years later 4x5 wise? The camera is still around serving as a very occasional support for a better light back that I can't say I have fully mastered yet. But I haven't given up on using it back again when life reaches the right state.

So thanks for reminding me about the availability of this option Nick!

Cheers,
Bernard
Pages: [1]   Go Up