Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hypothetical question ...  (Read 1551 times)

Rainer SLP

• RS-Fotografia
Hypothetical question ...
« on: June 12, 2015, 04:14:59 pm »

... after reading the post

http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=101089.0

¿ How many Nikonians, Canonians. Pentaxians, Olympians and whatever other DSLR owners is there will change their current system to Sony due to the availability someday later this year of the Sony A7R II ?

It is amusing to read those messages containing a lot of assumptions ...

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Thanks and regards Rainer
 I am here for

rdonson

Re: Hypothetical question ...
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 04:19:42 pm »

Nope, not amusing, just trolling.
Regards,
Ron

NancyP

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 04:20:55 pm »

There might be a reason to add a Sony body to an existing system, for specialty use. I am still wowed by my humble 20 MP "5 year old sensor technology" Canon 6D.

Rainer SLP

• RS-Fotografia
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 04:41:50 pm »

There might be a reason to add a Sony body to an existing system, for specialty use. I am still wowed by my humble 20 MP "5 year old sensor technology" Canon 6D.

;D

Last year I bought a 3 year old sensor technology (March 2012) as replacement for my dead EOS 1Ds and 3 weeks ago another 3 year old sensor technology (March 2012) as replacement for a dead EOS 10D.

A reason not to change the system is all the L glass I have ...
 I am here for

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 06:03:33 pm »

And guess what - no serious photographers give a crap. If you think your photographs are lacking because you don't have the latest trendy gear, then you are sorely deluded. Your photographs are lacking because of YOU. So instead of learning about composition, or looking at the photos of past masters, or studying the great paintings, you buy yet another gadget. I have had the same gear for at least 2 years, and believe me, the latest Canon or Nikon or Sony will not improve my photography.

Rainer SLP

• RS-Fotografia
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 06:13:32 pm »

And guess what - no serious photographers give a crap. If you think your photographs are lacking because you don't have the latest trendy gear, then you are sorely deluded. Your photographs are lacking because of YOU. So instead of learning about composition, or looking at the photos of past masters, or studying the great paintings, you buy yet another gadget. I have had the same gear for at least 2 years, and believe me, the latest Canon or Nikon or Sony will not improve my photography.

+1
 I am here for

BrianVS

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2015, 07:23:32 pm »

... after reading the post

http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=101089.0

¿ How many Nikonians, Canonians. Pentaxians, Olympians and whatever other DSLR owners is there will change their current system to Sony due to the availability someday later this year of the Sony A7R II ?

It is amusing to read those messages containing a lot of assumptions ...

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

If they release firmware that allows lossless storage of images, I'm tempted- because it uses BSI technology, something I've followed for a long time. I'm also tempted by the Samsung because it is BSI and has open source. If the LTM lenses can focus to infinity on it as some adapter makers claim, I might try one.

The lossy compression scheme precludes me from considering  any of the Sony Nex series. Why have a good sensor and destroy the image to save a few bytes and speed up the write time. I've been writing image processing code for 35 years, hate artifacts.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 07:27:47 pm by BrianVS »

scooby70

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 07:48:54 pm »

Groan... I can't believe I'm wasting my time responding but I've started so I'll finish.

I see this tosh time and again on line and was there really any need to be so insulting? IMVHO your post would be more at home on the DP Review forum than here.

So, lets see if I understand. If I care about new kit and new features I'm not a serious photographer I'm just a deluded gadget freak? What crap. It's a garbage view but it is a nice pat line containing just the right amount of insults and put downs to shut anyone talking about new gear up even though they too may know about composition and all of the other stuff that matters and might just see an advantage in the new stuff that you with your closed mind can't see.

People probably said similar lame insulting tosh years ago when things we now see as very useful to serious photographers first came along. I can imagine the comments...

"Auto focus is for amateurs taking snap shots. Learn how to anticipate where your subject will be and pre focus or sell your camera and take up knitting you muppet."

"Metering? If you brain is so tiny that you don't know from experience how to set your camera up or can't at least work out sunny 16 you shouldn't be allowed out without a nurse."

:D

What if buying new kit gives you more chance of getting the shot or opens up completely new possibilities?

New stuff from the A7 series in general and the rII in particular -

"FF" image quality in a small form factor. This means I could take a compact and light FF system into places I couldn't as easily take a larger and heavier DSLR. Hmmm, sounds like a big plus to me and exactly why I bought an A7 and ditched the Canon kit I'd used for over 10 years.

Image stabilisation for any lens fitted to it. I think that just might come in very handy indeed.

Silent shooting. Love It! The 20D I used for about 7 years had a shutter that sounded like an anvil being thrown into a tin bath and having the ability to take pictures silently is a massive advantage - to some people.

When was the last time anyone could shoot silently with a FF camera and a stabilised 50mm f1.2mm? Er...

That's only three things and I'm bored now but IMVHO these three things are three big things and may be enough to tempt users of other systems to change and may enable decent photographers who know all about composition and all of the other stuff to get shots they simply wouldn't get with their old kit.

If you think new kit doesn't improve your photography maybe that's just you and you're not pushing the envelope enough and maybe other people are. There's no denying that both the image quality it's possible to get out of digital cameras has risen (otherwise I'd have kept my 300D) and there's also no denying that new abilities and features enable pictures to be taken which couldn't have been taken in the past anywhere like as easily, if at all. I can get useable shots at ISO 25,600 from Micro Four Thirds now. I couldn't do that with my 5D.

PS. You've had your kit two years? Bravo. I've been taking pictures for over 40 years and I still have the camera that started me off when I was 10. I have however bought some new kit along the way when I saw advantages - for me.

Rant over. See you on DP Review :D

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 07:53:00 pm »

While this is true in general terms, there are reasonable usage patterns for which adding an a7rII would have value.

- I am having a hard time getting a look I like in non controlled shooting conditions with the compact systems I own today. There are cases when bringing the D810 and Otus 85mm f1.4 isn't easily manageable.
-> The a7rII and a Zeiss batis 85mm f1.8 is appealing here.

- I am also facing challenges combining family constraints (a 3 years old child) and my desire to trek while capturing images with as little image quality compromise as possible.
-> The a7rII with a Batis 25mm and a light tripod would enable me to manage this better than the gear I own today.

I don't intend to do a switch, my existing gear is still much more versatile are still offers a higher or equivalent image quality with the lenses I own. But an addition would extend the reach of what I can do. The question is whether this is the best way to use 5,000 US$.

Cheers,
Bernard

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2015, 01:56:02 am »

Hi Nancy,

I think there were some great pictures shot in 2010 and even before that.

Best regards
Erik

Erik Kaffehr

stamper

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2015, 03:28:07 am »

Two years ago when you bought your new gear would you have felt insulted if somebody had stated what you have stated? There are many reasons to buy new gear. Small mirrorless cameras are a good lightweight alternative to DSLRS. I have bought two to do street photography as an alternative to a DSLR. Does this mean my skills are lacking? You should reflect on your outburst? :(

Herbc

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2015, 08:56:39 am »

+2- only reason to change gear is ease of use vs what you got. (mirrorless vs dslr, etc)
Pages: [1]   Go Up