Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Working space  (Read 2749 times)

Andres Bonilla

Working space
« on: February 15, 2006, 12:01:14 pm »

When I open my images from my Rebel Xt they all come in Adobe RGB 1998 when I convert my working space to sRGB I get a message asking me to discard the color profile embedded, convert to color working space or ignore and use the embeded profile, what is the correct way? Should I convert the file or maybe change the settings in my camera?
I read that conversions hosed the file and clipped color info. The reason for this was that by working on Adobe1998 when I saved for the web the colors lost their saturation by 20% I was told that it was because the save for web was not color managed and it would be more similar if I worked on sRGB. How do you guys do it? When working with scanned negatives I did not have this choices. Should I have 2 files one for the web in sRGB and one for printing in Adobe RGB 1998?

Thanks,

Andres

TimothyFarrar

Working space
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 02:16:01 pm »

BTW, you might want to look at shooting in RAW (and using 16bit in PS) instead of JPEG, you will get much better quality with RAW.

But to answer your question, I have my RGB working space to ProPhoto RGB (an even larger color space than Adobe1998). So all my tiff source files (for printing) are in PhoPhoto RGB. When saving a low quality JPEG for the web, I use the colorspace converion tool to convert to sRGB, then the "Save for the web" tool in PS.

Here is a good article titled "Understanding ProPhoto RGB" which might help you.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorial...photo-rgb.shtml
Timothy Farrar
Farrar Focus Digit

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Working space
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 10:20:26 am »

If you're asking for rendered JPEGs (NOT RAW) from your camera, it is converting either into sRGB or Adobe RGB (1998) based on the matrix setting. OK, so that's the color space of the data. But most cameras do NOT embed a profile but rather EXIF data. OK, now Photoshop opens the file and you have your color settings that, based on what you've done will inform you if the image you are opening is in sync with the preferred color space you've set in our preferences. Say you have the camera set to sRGB but Photoshop set for Adobe RGB (1998). And you have your warning check boxes on. Photoshop pops a warning telling you the file from the camera (sRGB) and Photoshop's color settings (Adobe RGB) are not in sync. No big deal, just pick "Preserve" and open the file. OR change your color settings to sync up with how you've set the camera.

This has NO role in RAW as mentioned. The important thing is to HONOR the color space your camera produced. Depending on the camera and it's age, the EXIF data provided either tells Photoshop the data is in sRGB or "None". When Photoshop see's the "None" tag, it gets confused since there is no true ICC profile embedded and it pops the Missing Profile dialog (again assuming you have the warning to do so checked). You now need to inform Photoshop that you've set the camera Adobe RGB (1998). The file is tagged as such and on you go with your work.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".
Pages: [1]   Go Up