Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommendation for basic mounting and matting supplies  (Read 2696 times)

dwswager

Recommendation for basic mounting and matting supplies
« on: June 12, 2015, 12:31:15 pm »

This is low volume and personal use and easily accomplished in house.  I am looking to mount and mat prints from 8x10 to 16x30.  Cost is an issue, but also want to get quality and longevity as much as possible.  Looking to learn from other's experience!

What substrate is best for mounting prints, especially if they are going to be framed (Thinking 3/16" foamcore)?

What method of mounting the print to the substrate (Thinking 1.38" Archival Corners)?

Best method to mount the mat to mounting board (archival transfer tape or linen hinges)?

Best method to stick multiple mat boards together for creating double and triple mats (thinking archival transfer tape)?

What width transfer tape/linen tape do people find most appropriate (Thinking .75" transfer tape and 1.25" linen tape for hinges)?

DeanChriss

• http://www.dmcphoto.com
Re: Recommendation for basic mounting and matting supplies
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 02:30:36 pm »

This is low volume and personal use and easily accomplished in house.  I am looking to mount and mat prints from 8x10 to 16x30.  Cost is an issue, but also want to get quality and longevity as much as possible.  Looking to learn from other's experience!

What substrate is best for mounting prints, especially if they are going to be framed (Thinking 3/16" foamcore)?

What method of mounting the print to the substrate (Thinking 1.38" Archival Corners)?

Best method to mount the mat to mounting board (archival transfer tape or linen hinges)?

Best method to stick multiple mat boards together for creating double and triple mats (thinking archival transfer tape)?

What width transfer tape/linen tape do people find most appropriate (Thinking .75" transfer tape and 1.25" linen tape for hinges)?

I see nothing wrong with your selections. You might also consider hinging the print to the mount board with linen tape and/or using an appropriate number of 1" or longer pieces of =1257&navTree[]=2087&navTree[]=1251]these archival mounting strips along the edges. If you hinge the print you don't really need the strips, but they provide some extra insurance for the hinges when people turn the prints upside down and hang them in rooms that are 120 degrees F. Don't position all of corners or mounting strips tightly against the edge of the paper, since paper will grow and shrink considerably with humidity changes. 3M ATG Gold is a good choice for transfer tape. If you hinge the print, use only two, positioned about a fourth to a third of the way in from the edges.

[Edit]
I forgot to mention that I think the best method to mount the mat to mounting board is hinges, but for this use they don't need to be linen. Less expensive archival tapes can do a good job here. Hinges allow easier access to the print later if need be, and in a frame there's no weld the mat to the mount with transfer tape.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 03:34:01 pm by DeanChriss »
- Dean

ashaughnessy

• My wordpress blog
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 12:00:20 pm »

I like to "weld" (as you put it) the mat to the mount board using double sided tape on top, left and right edges , as it makes for (IMHO) a much sturdier package that will better stand repeated handling. If I wanted to open it up to get to the print, I'd probably just make another print.
Anthony
Anthony Shaughnessy
https://anthonyshaug

DeanChriss

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 11:53:52 am »

I'll elaborate on my earlier hasty answer. I was in the middle of something else and didn't have time to explain.

I improperly used the term "weld" because transfer tape is so strong and tenacious. Using lots of this to stick a mat down to a mounting board doesn't hurt anything and makes a good looking result, but if someone buys the print and wants to change the mat they may have to completely dismount the print and start from scratch with a new mounting board. It's fairly common for people to change a mat, and hinging the mat to the mounting board allows doing it while leaving the print and its mount intact. This assumes an archival tape with a removable adhesive is used. All of this is especially important if a print is dry mounted because the print is permanently bonded to the mounting board.

We have been happy with ASAP "Archival Conservation Tape" for hinging mats (not prints), but there are others that are comparable. It is a fairly sturdy gummed paper. I do think it is good to minimally tack down a hinged mat to the mounting board with a few small spots of ATG that are not close to the print. That allows handling the mat before framing without inadvertent opening and prevents any potential for movement of the mat position relative to the print and mount. The mat can still be separated from the mount without any significant damage to either one if it is done carefully. Once opened ATG residue can be removed from the mount with an ATG "eraser" or pick-up tool.

The same all-directional flexibility that makes linen tapes good for hinging prints seems to work against them for hinging mats. Unless they are dry mounted, prints need freedom to move slightly in all directions when they expand and contract with humidity changes. Any restriction of the print's ability to "breathe" like this results in waviness of the print. Linen tape allows that flexibility as do other more exotic materials. A mat hinged to a mounting board needs to open and close like a book . The heavier paper tape takes a nice crease that allows opening and restricts appreciable motion in other directions. As I mentioned, we minimally tack down the mat to the mounting board, but the real strength of the package comes from the frame and glazing. Once inside a good frame the other materials are quite well protected.

The mounting strips I mentioned earlier have an acid-free paper spacer and a larger clear, thin, archival polypropylene strip that overlaps the edge of the print. That spacer is considerably thicker than photo and fine art papers, so the print floats freely under the polypropylene strip. The thickness of the spacer and polypropylene also keeps the mat from pinching the perimeter of the print against the mounting board and restricting the print's "breathing". Because they can be positioned at intervals all around the print I prefer them to corners or other methods, especially for larger hinged prints. We often use these in combination with hinges, mostly for the spacing they provide between the mat and the mount. As I mentioned in my earlier post, care must be taken to not position these (or anything) tight against the paper's edge, which would restrict "breathing".

What I have described is not the only way to do things, or necessarily the best way for anyone else. There are many ways to get great looking results. We have two good friends who each run different framing businesses, one for a bit more than 30 years and one a bit less. Even they do things quite differently. We have ended up doing some things a bit differently than either of them. We arrived at what we do over quite a few years with coaching from both friends plus trial and error to arrive at what works best for us and our fairly basic needs. Clients that want something beyond the basics we offer are sent to a "real" framer.

I'd also mention that getting into matting and framing in addition to photography is often not worth doing. You need to do a lot of it to justify the equipment and having another person to help out certainly doesn't hurt. It also takes some time to get things right, and a few cut fingers before you figure out how to properly handle freshly cut glass.
- Dean

dwswager

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 08:19:41 pm »

Thanks Dean.  A lot to think about.

I was considering reuse of the mats, but since I've  started cutting my own mats, that and the price has gone down an order of magnitude, that is less of a concern.  Never considered the issue of re-matting the print.

When you say adhesive strips overlapping the print, I assume you mean the print it being stuck to the mount board unlike corners where the print floats and has no glue on them.  Trying to figure out is I desire having either a strip or hinge marring the print surface.  I usually print and mount with a border around the printed area, but since my printer is limited to 17" there have been some prints I've made that go to the edge of the paper.

If you are willing and able, can you provide some actual product identification for the tapes and strips you use.  Also if there is an online store that you recommend for purchasing framing supplies, I'm open to that as well.

Thanks!

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 07:41:34 am »

Also if there is an online store that you recommend for purchasing framing supplies, I'm open to that as well.
I do a modest amount of matting.  Most of the framing is for local sales as I don't like the bother of shipping framed items; I prefer shipping rolled prints.  I've found Archival Methods good for ready cut items and small supplies.  For large archival foam and matboard I use Dick Blick as they are less expensive and they package items securely; I've not had any issues with bent boards.  For frames and plexi I use Frame Destination as they have a nice price on prepackaged kits and will cut to various sizes as well. 

I'm sure there are other vendors out there, I use these and have not been disappointed with service.

DeanChriss

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 07:48:40 am »

When the mounting strips are used there is absolutely nothing stuck to the print. The spacer sticks to the mounting board and the clear tab protrudes beyond it, over the print border, capturing the print between the clear tab and mounting board. The print is free to move in any direction until the edge hits a spacer, which is why you should leave a little room for the paper to expand between the edge of the print and where you stick the spacer to the mount. As I mentioned, you can use these alone or with hinges. They are made by Lineco and come in different lengths and numbers per box. We get the 4" long strips in a box of 60 and often cut them into shorter pieces as needed. The exact box we have is seen here. Looking online it seems that the same things come in differently labeled boxes. Google "Lineco see-thru mounting strips".
Until you actually see them it's hard to imagine how they work. There's a good picture here.

The tape we've been using to hinge mats to the mount board is made by ASAP seen here.

For hinging prints we use Lineco self adhesive linen hinging tape as seen here.

Transfer tape is ATG Gold seen here.

There are lots of places to buy these supplies and with sales and specials the prices vary widely so I hesitate to recommend a specific outlet. My wife is the one buying everything (and doing the actual matting) but I know she shops for price each time she orders and often changes vendors. I make the prints and cut mats, glass, and sometimes my fingers. Beyond that it's thankfully out of my hands.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 07:51:20 am by DeanChriss »
- Dean

dwswager

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2015, 06:45:08 pm »

Thanks guys!  Because I am Amazon Prime I buy a lot from them, but also B&H and I got the Logan 750-1 Simplex Elite and a few sheets of mat board from Blick.

I had seen those lineco strips but on Amazon it doesn't show how they work.  Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up