Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leica Q or Leica M?  (Read 3305 times)

kengai

Leica Q or Leica M?
« on: June 12, 2015, 08:21:56 am »

for street photography , I was thinking of the Leica M. Two days of testing , I had almost convinced him to take the step , but here comes the Leica Q. Proven also this , some very positive aspects , but they are now in doubt : M or Q ?

Thanks.

michael

Re: Leica Q or Leica M?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 11:07:36 am »

for street photography , I was thinking of the Leica M. Two days of testing , I had almost convinced him to take the step , but here comes the Leica Q. Proven also this , some very positive aspects , but they are now in doubt : M or Q ?

Thanks.

Different animals...

- Huge price differential

- Interchangeable lenses vs not

- EVF autofocus vs rangefinder manual focus

You need to consider your needs based on the type of shooting that you like to do, and your budget.

JV

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 11:21:55 am »

I would personally first test the Leica Q to see whether it meets your needs.   If it does go for it and don't look back...

Dale_Cotton2

• http://daystarvisions.com
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 12:34:46 pm »

One of the biggest differences is that the Q limits you to 28mm focal length. If possible, use whatever camera you have available just at 28mm (or the equivalent if it's not full frame) in a street shooting situation. It's a very personal thing whether you can use just one focal length, and if so, whether that one focal length is 28mm.

rvamos

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 06:46:28 pm »

A Leica Q, with f1.7 28mm lens is US$ 4250. And it has macro.   A new Summicron f2.0 28mm lens is $ 4295. Just the lens.  No macro.  Hmmmmm.....  This way, you can have both, and have a back-up camera to your Leica M in case you drop it in a river (God forbid!)...

jrp

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2015, 02:41:35 pm »

If 28mm is your thing, then the Q is better than the M (and the same price as the new 28mm Summilux, alone) because you have the option of autofocus and other modern mod cons which will get you more reliable results, depending on what you are shooting.

If you need to use a wider range of focal lengths, then it's the M or Fuji or perhaps even Sony, although the lenses are getting bigger as we go along.
Pages: [1]   Go Up