Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Leica Q Hands on Review Video (Samples Coming)  (Read 6621 times)

Brian Hirschfeld

• Brian Hirschfeld Photography
New Leica Q Hands on Review Video (Samples Coming)
« on: June 12, 2015, 12:32:23 am »

Hey guys, thanks to my friends at the Leica Store Soho (NYC), I was able to get my hands on the new Leica Q to make a hands on review, and take some sample images of it in photogenic Soho. You can view the video now on my website:

http://brianhirschfeldphotography.com/2015/06/12/leica-q-hands-on-review-video-sample-images/

The video includes an overview of some of the features that I like as well as size comparisons with the Leica X, Leica T, and Leica M240. Let me know what you think.

Best,
BH
www.brianhirschfeldphotography.com / www.flickr.com/brianhirschfeldphotography
---------------------------------------------------------------
Leica / Nikon / Hasselblad / Mamiya ~ Proud IQ180 owner

mbaginy

Re: New Leica Q Hands on Review Video (Samples Coming)
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 03:49:17 am »

Brian, can the Leica Q be set to shoot raw only?

As far as I know, the Leica X models could only shoot raw plus jpg and I don't think Leica ever changed that (flaw, in my view) with software updates.  It wouldn't surprise me in the least, if Leica again limited file output with their new Q.

Brian Hirschfeld

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 09:40:56 am »

Negative, I asked the same question when setting the camera up.

Your only shooting options are JPEG or DNG + JPEG which is annoying. Its because of Leica's software which uses the JPEG's for image playback on the camera. Which is very antiquated at this point. Given all the new tech they have in this camera, you would think that they would have updated this from some of their older cameras...

But other then needing to buy a slightly larger card to accommodate that, its a pretty awesome camera.

mbaginy

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 10:50:36 am »

... Your only shooting options are JPEG or DNG + JPEG which is annoying. ...
Thanks for your reply, Brian.  Wow, I've seen some hard-headed companies (e.g. Canon and a dedicated MLU switch) but Leica's refusal to offer what I guess all other cameras do it really hard to comprehend.

I'm in the market for such a camera but I'm unsure if I could cope with that silliness every time I import to LR.  Thanks for the great review!

Brian Hirschfeld

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 11:17:56 am »

Honestly if that is your biggest concern with the camera then you should get it.

I was blown away with how nice this camera was to use.... which is why I probably use the word 300 times in the video.

Yes its annoying, but there are solutions. Personally I don't use Lightroom, but I assume you could just sort JPEG's and DNG's out and then delete the JPEG's no? Obviously its an extra step, but I think this camera is nice enough to make you feel okay doing it.

Best,
BH

Telecaster

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 04:49:20 pm »

Storage is cheap. JPEGs come in handy if you're at all interested in online photo sharing. IMO this is a "yeah, they should offer a RAW-only option but I can easily live without it" kinda thing. YMMV of course.

The Q is appealing for a number of reasons—the built-in EVF in particular—but the focal length does it in for me. But then I'm a cranky traditionalist in some respects: in the 35mm format everything wider than 35mm is a special effects lens.  :)

-Dave-

JV

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2015, 05:12:54 pm »

Honestly if that is your biggest concern with the camera then you should get it.

+1.  Then again I also don't use LightRoom...

The Q is appealing for a number of reasons—the built-in EVF in particular—but the focal length does it in for me. But then I'm a cranky traditionalist in some respects: in the 35mm format everything wider than 35mm is a special effects lens.  :)

I totally love the 28mm.  It is my favorite focal length and it made pulling the trigger on the Q a lot easier...

I recently bought the Summicron 28mm.  Some people really love this lens, others don't really get along that well, unfortunately up till now I probably have mostly been in the latter group...

I started contemplating the Summilux 28mm but the Q saved me... :)

It's all good!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 05:14:40 pm by JV »

rvamos

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 06:51:28 pm »

I recently bought the Summicron 28mm.  Some people really love this lens, others don't really get along that well, unfortunately up till now I probably have mostly been in the latter group...

I started contemplating the Summilux 28mm but the Q saved me... :)

[/quote]

That Summicron cost about the same as the Q, which comes with a better (?) lens, no?

JV

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 07:08:50 pm »

That Summicron cost about the same as the Q, which comes with a better (?) lens, no?

At $3,779 it is slightly cheaper now in the US with the ongoing promotions... 

jrp

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2015, 01:55:31 pm »

I'm in the market for such a camera but I'm unsure if I could cope with that silliness every time I import to LR.

Not sure what you mean.  I shoot RAW+JPEG and Lightroom keeps them together, so you never notice that the JPEGs exist.

mbaginy

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2015, 03:46:28 pm »

Not sure what you mean.  I shoot RAW+JPEG and Lightroom keeps them together, so you never notice that the JPEGs exist.
What I was referring to is, that I never shoot jpg, but only raw.  I know, that there is always a jpg shot anyway, which is depicted on the camera's monitor.  But what I export is only the raw file.  Importing to LR would then require me to pick only the raws and not tick the jpg images.  Doesn't seem like a streamlined operation - all my digital cameras allow me to shoot "raw only".

Telecaster

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2015, 04:03:02 pm »

If I wanted to not keep auto-imported JPEGs I'd just whip up a simple script to rm them. Of course this might not make Lightroom happy…

-Dave-

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2015, 03:50:22 am »

If I wanted to not keep auto-imported JPEGs I'd just whip up a simple script to rm them. Of course this might not make Lightroom happy…

-Dave-

rm *.JPG

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Telecaster

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2015, 06:02:30 pm »

rm *.JPG

I'd probably be a little more targeted than that…but yeah.  ;)  And I'd make it executable via click or tap (I often use my iPad as a desktop interface).

-Dave-

JV

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2015, 07:34:40 pm »

rm *.JPG

Edmund

Damned UNIX junkies!

Reading the Leica forums, if you order the Q now you are apparently already looking at a delivery in August...
Pages: [1]   Go Up