Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which is more useful: a MFDB in H or M mount?  (Read 1623 times)

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
Which is more useful: a MFDB in H or M mount?
« on: June 12, 2015, 12:11:20 am »

I use a Linhof Techno with a 60MP MFDB. My present back has a Universal/Hasselblad V mount and can also be used with my Hasselblad 50x Series bodies and lenses of which I have a few and two Flexbodies that I use because they offer greater tilt than is available on the Techno.

I am aware of two used 80MFDBs being available for sale. One is in H mount and the other is in M mount.

I can get an adapter plate for my Techno for either mount but I think I cannot put either mount on the 50x Series bodies.

First question: Does anyone know whether H mount MFDBs will fit on 50x Series bodies?

Second question: If I decide it is time to upgrade from the 50x Series gear, would I be best to go the H route or the M route?

It is tempting to say the H route because I think I can get an adapter to use the 50x Series lenses on H bodies (but only in manual focus mode). However, I feel that I will soon need auto-focus and, so, I should ignore this feature.

I will only get a few lenses in any new system I buy into. Probably only 35, 60, 80 and 150mm.

I guess neither system has the equivalent of the Flexbody? The Hasselblad HTS has a crop factor which I would find frustrating. Is there an M equivalent?

Your thoughts on which route (H or M) would be appreciated.
Roger

Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

Chris Livsey

Re: Which is more useful: a MFDB in H or M mount?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 02:49:09 am »

On the narrow point of V lenses on a H bodies: The CF adapter adds little weight or bulk, E lenses communicate f stop to the body for metering, the shooting is not fast paced with manual reset of the CF but depends on what you are shooting if that is an issue, you do get focus confirmation of the V lens in the viewfinder which I find quite precise.

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 03:19:12 am »

H series has more options in terms of wide angle lenses. M series would allow you to use legacy mamiya lenses, which are inexpensive in the used market.
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 07:15:03 am »

H series has more options in terms of wide angle lenses. M series would allow you to use legacy mamiya lenses, which are inexpensive in the used market.

H and M cameras are very different ergonomically; you should probably get the viewfinder experience before you buy. I would go the H way because of  truefocus, but you may well feel the M experience is better, or Doug may get you a deal so good you don't want to pass it up.

The old M cameras can use V lenses via a fairly cheap adapter, but you need to step down manually. I used the 110/2  Zeiss shutterless lens.
The new M camera is just out, and is compatible with the existing 80MP back.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

bcooter

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 07:55:10 am »

H

Phase will never drop the H mount because too many people use it and it's very prolific in the world of rental studios and houses.

Plus they make their money off the backs, the camera is just a needed carrier.

IMO

BC

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 08:31:13 am »

H

Phase will never drop the H mount because too many people use it and it's very prolific in the world of rental studios and houses.

Plus they make their money off the backs, the camera is just a needed carrier.

IMO

BC

The new H bodies have got really good focus.

I think the H5D40 price is now so low compared to Phase FX that Phase backs are locked out by economics although they technically work.  We shouldn't forget that the Phase camera may be a necessity for them, but at $8K  they've clearly priced it as a profit center :)

There's a bunch of used H4x bodies selling at tolerable prices, nowadays - they may be ex-rental.

I've been to look at the new Phasiflex. The back/body integration is very good, it does things like autobracketing very well, but I somehow think Hassy do get handheld ergonomics better, although turning the camera to portrait orientation is a pain.

Edmund
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 08:38:48 am by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Joe Towner

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2015, 01:19:53 pm »

If there were a reliable H to V mount adapter, Hasselblad woundn't spend the money on the new V backs.

There is nothing else like the HTS in medium format.  It and the 35-90 are the two things in H I don't think I can do without.

Are you more likely to shoot with the waist level viewfinder?  The H has the plastic adapter, but it's really just a cap with an eyepiece on it.  But the DF/DF+ don't have the WL function, so you should try the new XF.

Plus the question is if you'll ever need to go faster than 1/800th.  And there is still the option of doing the Alpa FPS, but you're already set with the Linhof.

-Joe
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 01:23:06 pm by Joe Towner »
t: @PNWMF
Pages: [1]   Go Up