Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Light Table Color Temperature?  (Read 4680 times)

JeremyLangford

Light Table Color Temperature?
« on: June 11, 2015, 04:40:15 pm »

I'm planning to buy a light table soon for viewing my 35mm color negative and color slide film archive. Is there a certain color temperature and/or brightness that I should aim for in the light table so that I can see my film with the most accurate colors and brightness?

Rainer SLP

• RS-Fotografia
Re: Light Table Color Temperature?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 05:56:53 pm »

Hi Jeremy,

Here is an article that maybe helps you

http://www.filmscanner.info/en/Leuchtplatten.html
Thanks and regards Rainer
 I am here for

JeremyLangford

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 06:41:58 pm »

Thanks! So it sounds like I should be aiming for 5000 K. I plan on using a digital camera to take pictures of the slides once their on the light table. However, I'm worried about a "strobe effect" that I've seen in the past where the light seems to dance around on the lcd of the camera. Is there any way to avoid this?

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 08:23:44 am »

Thanks! So it sounds like I should be aiming for 5000 K. I plan on using a digital camera to take pictures of the slides once their on the light table. However, I'm worried about a "strobe effect" that I've seen in the past where the light seems to dance around on the lcd of the camera. Is there any way to avoid this?

Hi Jeremy,

The strobe effect is probably the interference between the power-grid frequency, and the LCD refresh frequency. But the intensity of fluorescent tubes does vary, unless one uses some smart circuitry to reduce 'Fluorescent Tube Flicker', and/or the tubes use a slow decay type of fluorescent agents.

Just use a longish shutter-speed if the particular light table exhibits variable emission levels with a short frequency. The nearer your exposure time gets to the frequency of the power-grid in your area (50 / 60 Hz) the more trouble you can expect. If you use more than of half of that, say longer than 1/15th of a second, then the diffused exposure levels will begin to even out. Shooting closeups, and of dense material, at low ISO, with an aperture that benefits the corners of the lens/image, should be possible with relatively stable exposure levels. The light from the tubes themselves is diffused, so the backlight should be rather uniform over the area of a film frame.

Do use a frame mask to avoid veiling glare in the lens, and also shade the front surface of the film from (strong) room light reflections.

Cheers,
Bart

P.S. If you also shoot negative film in addition to your slides, then I'd use differently filtered light to compensate for the mask colour. That will improve noise levels, especially in the blue and parts of the green colors. Also, early Kodachrome was designed to be projected by using lower color temperature lamps than your light table, so they may look too cool and be slightly noisier than necessary, unless filtered light is used for exposure.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 08:36:28 am by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

JeremyLangford

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 12:26:36 am »

Thanks! Do you know if I would have this same problem with an LED light table?

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2015, 12:44:38 am »

Thanks! So it sounds like I should be aiming for 5000 K.

Actually, I would aim at 5500ºK or do what I do and put D6500ºK bulbs in the viewing booth/light box.

D5500ºK is what sensors are optimally designed for (not D5000) but D6500ºK is optimally better if you are trying to use the lightbox to copy slides/negs. D65 adds more blue (and cuts down the lack of blue in D50).

However, copying a lot of chromes/negs might bring up the whole discussion of using a copy setup with strobe lighting since this will produce sharper captures than a long exposure (to keep from flickering of florescent lighting).

I presume this is an important project and you only want to do this once?

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2015, 03:58:59 am »

Thanks! Do you know if I would have this same problem with an LED light table?

It depends... I'm not 100% sure for light tables (because there are different methods of driving LED configurations, direct current LEDs are best to avoid flicker), but this article sheds some light (pun intended) on the technical side of the matter.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==
Pages: [1]   Go Up