Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone tried the new CFV-50c? How are the old Zeiss lenses doing?  (Read 3052 times)

hasselbladfan

I am interested to get any hands-on feedback of the CFV-50c.

I am sure the DR and ISO are much better. Just interested if my old Zeiss lenses would be able to follow the better sensor.

Jager

• E vestigio
Re: Anyone tried the new CFV-50c? How are the old Zeiss lenses doing?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 05:34:26 pm »

Bumping this thread...

Between this wonderful site and GetDPI there are a handful of threads that speak to using the CFV-50c in the context of a tech camera (and many thanks for those insights... one of those tech cams might well live in my future).

Right now, though, I'm very interested in input from anyone who is using the CFV-50c on a Hasselblad body.  And particularly with older 'C' lenses.

What are the ergonomics like?  What kind of finder are you using?  How is the image quality?  How does it compare with <any other kind of MFD back> you might be familiar with?

Is anyone using this back that way?

NickT

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 06:39:56 pm »

I used to shoot Digital on V system and the lenses held up very well (CF). I was using smaller chips back then so was using the centre (sharpest) part of the lenses. The main issue I found was nailing focus and the AF was the main motivation for switching to H system.

Nick-T

Chris Livsey

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 02:59:16 am »

I shoot the V system with a P20 back. Lenses are all CF no C and some CFi and CFE. I also am starting to shoot the same glass on the H with a P45 back and the CF adapter. I have only shot the lenses I know are good up to now, busy holiday period, but the 40mm CF FLE 40mm 120mm makro 100mm and 180mm perform up to expectations, I can't see them suddenly falling apart for those extra pixels. It depends on what you are shooting of course but the 80mm HC and 1.7 converter make a handy pair that nails focus reliably, the arrow manual focus is good but I prefer to study the subject not constantly look at arrows off tripod. Given the issues, mainly mirror slap handheld I found with the V, I had no hesitation putting the P45 on a H body instead, the H1 can be obtained cheaply and serviced to current standards by Hasselblad for not much money. The CF adapter is very workable I find. I understand the emotional attachment to the V though, mine was bought new in 1982 and I would not sell it, but the glass holds up better than the bodies. I suspect you may get more of a "look" with the C series rather than technical perfection. Given the price I am tempted to try one to see.
If you are looking at the rather large crop of the CMOS back I think the lenses would be fine, it's the body I would worry about, if you are putting it on a V.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 03:02:27 am by Chris Livsey »

flashfredrikson

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 06:51:41 am »

Recently tried the cfv 50c on a 501cm with a 80mm CF lens. The lens was fine. But the whole system has a lot of limitations. You can't put the back on in portrait orientation. For shutter speeds longer than 1/8th you have to tell the back what shutter speed you are using and you better use mirror up if you use speeds longer than 1/125, that mirror slap is quite hefty and I had a lot of blurry pictures even with the camera mounted on a tripod. More than half of the viewfinder is unused, so your frame is quite small in there. For me the whole thing didn't cut it. But that of course depends on your application and work method.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 03:24:09 pm »

Hi,

I cannot answer the original question, but I have some experience shooting with V-series glass on a P45+. I would say the lenses hold up quite well.

I have seen a few issues but I feel it works very well in general.

I have used 40/4 FLE, 50/4 FLE, 80/2.28.CFE, 120/4 CFi, 120/4 CF, 150/4 CF and 180/CFi.

Best regards
Erik

I am interested to get any hands-on feedback of the CFV-50c.

I am sure the DR and ISO are much better. Just interested if my old Zeiss lenses would be able to follow the better sensor.
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: [1]   Go Up