Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 9890 printing 3/16" short? Help?  (Read 964 times)

disneytoy

Epson 9890 printing 3/16" short? Help?
« on: June 10, 2015, 06:00:47 pm »

Hi Gang!

I have a problem!

I have a project to print 16x20 on a roll of 17" Epson Exhibition Canvas. I set the paper size to 17x22" .

My image size came out 16" x 19.875" ? 3/16 too short?

I printed from PS CC, and LR5.7. 

I verified in PS the image size is exactly 16x20 @ 360 dpi. In PS print dialog image size is 16x20.

In LR Cell size 16x20. and zoom to fill (just case). Margins at the min.

Since it doesn't seem to be my file. And both Lightroom and Photoshop are set correctly, is there anything in the Epson driver or printer settings that could shorten a print? in the long dimension, I have 2 extra inches beyond the image size. That should be enough?

These have to go into frames, so 3/16 isn't going to work:-(

I can make the 20" = 20.5", but I need to be able to rely on the dimensions I specify printing out.

Any thoughts?

max

Landscapes

Re: Epson 9890 printing 3/16" short? Help?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 06:44:07 pm »

I just made a post about this a couple of weeks ago... so search my history to find it.  Even though it was on a Canon, I'm not surprised to see Epson's have this same issue.  It really isn't the canvas shrinking in my opinion, its that the printer cannot accurately tell how much it is feeding the canvas.  Some people play with the feed adjustment in the printer, and although I'm not familiar with Epsons anymore, I think I remember people saying they use values such as +10 or so, but I have no idea the units or anything like this.  Since you know it came up 3/16" short, you could just stretch your image, without changing the size in the other dimension by this same 3/16th.  So essentially, instead of printing an image that is 16x20, you will print an image that is 16 x 20.2 inches, or something like this, which is what you're thinking as well.

For canvas, having a bit extra is usually ok since it can be stretched around the size, but since you're framing, I guess you want it a bit more precise.  Knowing that you're off only 3/16 and want to print just this size, it should be pretty easy to get it close enough and if its just 2 mm's or so longer, I think this would be ok ,and certainly better than it being too short.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 06:59:28 pm »

With an Epson the running length will always be a problem with canvas. The width will be exact.

No real way to fix this as if you add 3/16 the next time the prints may be too long.

Best solution I have found is make sure your media is set to canvas. If you are printing from the driver the ink selection will change to matte so if you print on a glossy canvas switch back to PK.

Canvas is not as rigid as paper so the printer's measurement process gets minor errors.

Every Epson I have owned does this albeit with the canvas media setting my 9900 seems to usually only be off by 1/16 th.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

disneytoy

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 07:21:05 pm »

Thanks, I did some googling and found the same thing. I'll make the adjustment.
Pages: [1]   Go Up