Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Phase One XF Story – Past, Present & Future  (Read 4244 times)

MatthewCromer

The Phase One XF Story – Past, Present & Future
« on: June 10, 2015, 03:51:19 pm »

I don't usually throw rocks when I don't like something, but I'm quite concerned by this article and whether it portends a significant change for the site. I find the journalism and reviews here up till now usually balanced and very informative, but this particular article really strikes me as an over-the-top puff piece of Phase One. And written by someone with a direct financial interest in the commercial success of the product line it is touting and fawning over.I really prefer Michael's coverage of the MF digital marketplace - always straight up with the good, the bad and the ugly. This article honestly read like a late-night infomercial.

I would normally let things like this pass, but this site has always been such a good source of worthwhile information, and I would hate to see a change of direction away from that in favor of hagiographic reportage.

Thanks
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 03:56:24 pm by MatthewCromer »

amolitor

Re: The Phase One XF Story – Past, Present & Future
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 04:01:56 pm »

Or maybe Jesus *has* returned, in the form of a camera.

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 05:38:14 pm »

I don't usually throw rocks when I don't like something, but I'm quite concerned by this article and whether it portends a significant change for the site. I find the journalism and reviews here up till now usually balanced and very informative, but this particular article really strikes me as an over-the-top puff piece of Phase One. And written by someone with a direct financial interest in the commercial success of the product line it is touting and fawning over.I really prefer Michael's coverage of the MF digital marketplace - always straight up with the good, the bad and the ugly. This article honestly read like a late-night infomercial.

I would normally let things like this pass, but this site has always been such a good source of worthwhile information, and I would hate to see a change of direction away from that in favor of hagiographic reportage.

Thanks

Really?  I put a notice at the beginning of the article.  It was news worthy and provided by a very active member of this site as well as a past contributor.  Luminous-Landscape has always published stories that give a different view and in this case a bit of behind the scenes of how a new camera was developed.  It does not matter if this person works for a Phase One dealer or for that matter that I was a Vice President of Phase One a few years ago.  It's all about the photography and the tools and what it takes to make them.  Now, let's get on with things.  There is a new Sony camera and a new Leica Camera to talk about.  Oh, and by the way if Hasselblad or any other camera maker wanted to contribute stories they are welcome to do so.  I bet there are some real interesting stories there to be told.

Kevin Raber
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

amolitor

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 05:48:58 pm »

There is a fine line, and you're right, the new Phase One camera is news. It's just the kind of news I expect to see on LuLa. As someone who's been inside Phase One, and who is currently inside LuLa, however, perhaps you lack some perspective.

From the outside, from the point of view of this one reader, it's looking a lot like LuLa is becoming a wholly owned subsidiary of Phase One. The most recent piece reads like the purest of hagiography. I noted the disclaimer, sure, but it didn't say "what follows is a paid advertisement from a sponsor" and yet the content may as well have been. Frankly, if P1 didn't pay for that placement, they just got the bargain of the century.

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 06:21:55 am »

What Kevin did with the Phase One preview is no more "over the top" than he was with some of the recent Fuji products and he was never a VP of Fuji... !!!
It's no more over the top than he was about his iPhone 6+...
Kevin gets excited about stuff and isn't afraid to share it.  That's what I like about him :)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 06:25:25 am by E.J. Peiker »

Zerui

• Foto Zerui
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 06:56:29 am »

What irritated me was getting the rather rude brush off when I requested a proper comparison of the new camera with its Hasselblad equivalent.  On the surface they seem similar.  What are the differences?  Zerui

MatthewCromer

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 07:24:26 am »

What Kevin did with the Phase One preview is no more "over the top" than he was with some of the recent Fuji products and he was never a VP of Fuji... !!!
It's no more over the top than he was about his iPhone 6+...
Kevin gets excited about stuff and isn't afraid to share it.  That's what I like about him :)

We're talking about different articles EJ. I didn't have any problems with the article you are referring to.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 07:26:12 am by MatthewCromer »

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2015, 04:57:01 pm »

Which article Matthew?

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2015, 12:02:00 am »

From the outside, from the point of view of this one reader, it's looking a lot like LuLa is becoming a wholly owned subsidiary of Phase One. The most recent piece reads like the purest of hagiography. I noted the disclaimer, sure, but it didn't say "what follows is a paid advertisement from a sponsor" and yet the content may as well have been. Frankly, if P1 didn't pay for that placement, they just got the bargain of the century.

Pure unadulterated bullshyte...do you really think Kev is bought? Do you really think Phase One PAID to get this story posted? If you really think that, go to straight to hell cause it is complete and total bullshyte.

As a P! owner, I was pretty excited about the article...

So, do you even own any P1? Do you have any skin in this game or are you just trolling? The OP is out to lunch...so are you. Come back when you (and the OP) have something useful to contribute...ok? Thanks...

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2015, 01:07:00 am »

Hi,

That article is by Doug Peterson who is working at one of the leading Phase One dealers. I would say that it gives some good insights in the workings of Phase One and is quite interesting.

I would say that it is nice to have some inputs from folks that have deep knowledge of the product, but we need to realize that when a Phase One dealer writes about a new product some marketing will br involved.

Best regards
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

amolitor

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2015, 01:33:12 am »

Pure unadulterated bullshyte...do you really think Kev is bought? Do you really think Phase One PAID to get this story posted? If you really think that, go to straight to hell cause it is complete and total bullshyte.

As a P! owner, I was pretty excited about the article...

So, do you even own any P1? Do you have any skin in this game or are you just trolling? The OP is out to lunch...so are you. Come back when you (and the OP) have something useful to contribute...ok? Thanks...

And, with respect, don't reply to me unless you can manage to to so without cursing, or can manage idiomatic English.

I realize that not everyone here speaks English as a first language, but to be cursed at by someone who has misunderstood my remarks so thoroughly is a bit much.

Schewe

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2015, 04:17:52 am »

And, with respect, don't reply to me unless you can manage to to so without cursing, or can manage idiomatic English.

And that's the best ya got doode? That I cursed at you? Really? You know how weak that is dooode? Give be a friggin' break...

marcmccalmont

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2015, 04:33:12 am »

Schewe is a Bully most of us ignore him.

"Bullying is the use of force, threat, or coercion to abuse, intimidate, or aggressively dominate others. The behavior is often repeated and habitual. Wikipedia"

Marc
Marc McCalmont

Schewe

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2015, 04:37:02 am »

Schewe is a Bully most of us ignore him.

So, you believe that Kevin was bought by Phase One> Really? You may not like my approach but can you really say I'm wrong? That Phase One bought the story on LuLa? Really? Again, I say bullshyte! And bullshyte it is...dooode!

marcmccalmont

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2015, 04:55:40 am »

So, you believe that Kevin was bought by Phase One> Really? You may not like my approach but can you really say I'm wrong? That Phase One bought the story on LuLa? Really? Again, I say bullshyte! And bullshyte it is...dooode!

No "Doooode" actually as a P1 DF owner I'm looking forward to a nice improvement but my wise Auntie says you get more with "milk and honey than with bullshyte"
But you have to admit you get up on the wrong side of the bed and vent on LuLa. On the LuLa videos you come across as a very intelligent, nice and quite funny guy, quite likable actually. Your posts however........... Am I right or wrong?
Peace
Marc
Marc McCalmont

Schewe

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2015, 05:02:55 am »

But you have to admit you get up on the wrong side of the bed and vent on LuLa. On the LuLa videos you come across as a very intelligent, nice and quite funny guy, quite likable actually. Your posts however........... Am I right or wrong?

Well, I don't suffer fools gladly...and I do tend to call it as I see it regardless of what side of the bed I woke up on. The OP and some of the other posters are postulating pure unadulterated bullshit...so you are thinking I should somehow tolerate this? Sorry, cant do that...(and yes, I'm pretty intelligent, and nice and rather funny until some a-holes comes out and vents their spleen).

marcmccalmont

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2015, 05:06:57 am »

Well, I don't suffer fools gladly...and I do tend to call it as I see it regardless of what side of the bed I woke up on. The OP and some of the other posters are postulating pure unadulterated bullshit...so you are thinking I should somehow tolerate this? Sorry, cant do that...(and yes, I'm pretty intelligent, and nice and rather funny until some a-holes comes out and vents their spleen).

OK I buy the first beer when we finally meet!
Marc
Marc McCalmont

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2015, 09:20:13 am »

The bell was rung. Topic is locked
Pages: [1]   Go Up