Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony announces the new 42 MP A7rII, and this might be good for the MF market  (Read 27195 times)

jco611

When I pack my bag my MF is for the wide shots and my DSLR is for the long shots. My Bag gets pretty heavy The A7r II might just save me some weight over my D800E and my Leica R's will have some stabilization for the handheld shots! Win Win
Marc

same here.. Looking forward to this one as backup to tech cam

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto

Hi Marc,

Nice to see you again on these forums!

I have some keen interest in the A7rII, as they seem to have fixed a few things I didn't like with the original A7r.

My plan is to keep my Sony A-mount stuff, but add a decent short telephoto. I want it to be good at full aperture. Right now I guess the Batis 1.8/85 fills the bill. In the other end I see a Canon 24/3.5 TS coming with a Metabones adapter.

Mirex has a few has a T&S adapter, so I could use my Hasselblad lenses with T&S. It is quite possible I order in a couple of days.

Best regards
Erik

When I pack my bag my MF is for the wide shots and my DSLR is for the long shots. My Bag gets pretty heavy The A7r II might just save me some weight over my D800E and my Leica R's will have some stabilization for the handheld shots! Win Win
Marc
Erik Kaffehr

voidshatter

Hi Marc,

Nice to see you again on these forums!

I have some keen interest in the A7rII, as they seem to have fixed a few things I didn't like with the original A7r.

My plan is to keep my Sony A-mount stuff, but add a decent short telephoto. I want it to be good at full aperture. Right now I guess the Batis 1.8/85 fills the bill. In the other end I see a Canon 24/3.5 TS coming with a Metabones adapter.

Mirex has a few has a T&S adapter, so I could use my Hasselblad lenses with T&S. It is quite possible I order in a couple of days.

Best regards
Erik

The Batis 85mm f1.8 is designed by Tamron. It has strong distortion.

By the way, Sony advertises for less color cast on the A7R-II thanks to the BSI sensor design.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto

Hi,

I have seen the Tamron patent…

The distortion doesn't really matter to me, and the lens seems to be nice otherwise. Diglloyd is enthusiastic about it. I have it on order but I may order the 90/2.8 macro instead.

Best regards
Erik

Zeiss seems to have an interesting business model, but so long the lenses are OK, I won't complain.

By the way, Sony advertises for less color cast on the A7R-II thanks to the BSI sensor design.
Erik Kaffehr

AlterEgo

Zeiss seems to have an interesting business model

originally from PentaxForums.com

SAMSUNG: "We're making a play, like every other man and his giant-electronics-corporation dog, for the digital camera market. Unfortunately, we have zero credibility in the camera industry, and, well, that's where you come in..."

SCHNEIDER KREUZNACH: "NEIN! Ve are a respected European opticz company, with many years of fine tradition und expertise in the field..."

Samsung drops, with a surprisingly loud thud, a briefcase on the conference table. It pops open, revealing row upon row of shiny Euro notes, neatly bundled in 10000-Euro lots

SK: "...and as such vill not be villing to zell our name for use on some cheap, mass-produced cameras! Our lens are a ground by magic elves, und coated vith ze finest, purest dragon's urine..."

Samsung reaches into its pocket, and pulls out a handful of diamonds, water clear, each the size of a human testicle, and tumbles them onto the briefcase

SK: "Our lenses are hand-assembled by virgins! The lens barrels are polished on zeir thighs!"

Samsung whistles, and a team of sunglass-wearing security guards with earpieces screwed into their ears, wielding submachine guns, enter the room. They briefly check the corners, the faces of those at the conference table, then nod and mutter into their lapels. Seconds later, a powered trolley laden with gold bullion enters the room, and is placed at the head of the table.

SK: "EACH LENS IS HAND-TESTED BY ZE POPE!"

Samsung pulls a share certificate from his pocket. Laying it next to the briefcase, it reads: "COCA-COLA: 250,000 Shares".

SK: "I look forward to working vith you, Samsung. Here's the TIFF file of our logo. Stick it vhere you vant. Guten tag!"

Telecaster

My m43 "Leica" 25/1.4 (designed by Sigma) has strong barrel distortion. Doesn't matter as it can be easily corrected in software.

-Dave-

AlterEgo

My m43 "Leica" 25/1.4 (designed by Sigma) has strong barrel distortion. Doesn't matter as it can be easily corrected in software.

-Dave-

it actually does... first of all, for example whatever ACR/LR are using /and not only ACR/LR - just that they were an example when question was asked in 2011 in regards to 20/1.7 which is while being fine lens for its purpose has a huge barrel distortion/ to correct geometry leads to noise clustering/banding (says one E.Chan = "The bands are introduced because uniform image noise becomes non-uniformly distributed upon image resampling (e.g., when spatially-varying optical corrections are applied). Ideally, one would redistribute the image scene values to make the rendered image rectilinear, without redistributing the noise (thereby keeping it uniform in appearance). Regrettably, that is not easy to do, since the noise is already "burned into" the image.") and then if you are using some other raw converters which do not support such optics corrections that complicates your workflow... when that does not matter for you, it only does not matter for you.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 06:53:37 pm by AlterEgo »

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/

I don't know if you guys have seen this? http://www.dpreview.com/articles/1652088044/sony-an-eye-on-focus

To me this is probably the most valuable feature of the camera. Think of the implications for working pros doing wedding/fashion/beauty/... in terms of the increased ratio of perfectly focused images?

Odds are that the real world level of detail of this 42 mp sensor perfectly focused on the eye will be much higher than that of higher resolution MF cameras, simply because the focus will be slightly off most of the time on those.

Cheers,
Bernard

voidshatter

-Dave-

Software correction of distortion would reduce corner sharpness, corner resolution and angle of view.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 12:05:07 am by voidshatter »

voidshatter

it actually does... first of all, for example whatever ACR/LR are using /and not only ACR/LR - just that they were an example when question was asked in 2011 in regards to 20/1.7 which is while being fine lens for its purpose has a huge barrel distortion/ to correct geometry leads to noise clustering/banding (says one E.Chan = "The bands are introduced because uniform image noise becomes non-uniformly distributed upon image resampling (e.g., when spatially-varying optical corrections are applied). Ideally, one would redistribute the image scene values to make the rendered image rectilinear, without redistributing the noise (thereby keeping it uniform in appearance). Regrettably, that is not easy to do, since the noise is already "burned into" the image.") and then if you are using some other raw converters which do not support such optics corrections that complicates your workflow... when that does not matter for you, it only does not matter for you.

Exactly. For multi-sampling (temporal noise reduction), distortion correction by software could introduce error on the master darkframe, making post-processing really tough.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto

Hi,

I have seen a real world example of this over at GetDPI. It was clearly caused by lens corrections as it went away once the photographer disabled lens corrections.

Best regards
Erik

Exactly. For multi-sampling (temporal noise reduction), distortion correction by software could introduce error on the master darkframe, making post-processing really tough.
Erik Kaffehr

Telecaster

I have seen a real world example of this over at GetDPI. It was clearly caused by lens corrections as it went away once the photographer disabled lens corrections.

I've seen that too. But I've never seen an example taken by me with my equipment. Therefore I consider it a non-issue. If I ever do see it in my own photos, my attitude will change accordingly.

-Dave-

voidshatter

Tests scattered over the Internet suggests very minor green cast in the corners for the G16. If this is true then the 23HR, 32HR etc are saved! Perhaps even the 28XL is saved!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up