Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony announces the new 42 MP A7rII, and this might be good for the MF market  (Read 27197 times)

AlterEgo

5 axis stabilisation.
only with OIS... if IBIS w/ non OIS lenses then it is just 2... see small print.

GregShapps

• http://www.shappsphotography.com

Now if only Cam Ranger can get their system working with Sony all would be well cause the Sony wifi and iPad solution sucks.  Its what keeps my a7r in my studio and my Canons for location.

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia

only with OIS... if IBIS w/ non OIS lenses then it is just 2... see small print.

I think it is the other way around. If the lens has no IS (OIS), the sensor does 5 axis stabilization: Yaw, Pitch, Roll, X and Z.

If it is an E mount lens with Optical Image Stabilization, the lens does Yaw and Pitch movement while the camera does the Roll, X and Z. Lens mounted through an adaptor, the camera does the 5 axis.

Since I don't own a Sony camera (in particular the A7 II), this is the conclusion that I reached after reading a lot of reviews of it, including Michael one here: https://luminous-landscape.com/sony-a7-mkii-hands-one/

Telecaster

In general _____ like to _____ about their own _____ and assume that everyone else should _____ the same way.

With my minor modifications I think you've just diagnosed most of what ails the human race.  :D

-Dave-

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/

I love the Canon glass... but dammit I'm close to saying I'm all but done with Canon because I'm being forced to choose, I can't carry four bodies to every wedding.
Take a Metabones smart adapter with you and you can leave one body at home  ;)
pieter, aka pegelli

pegelli

I think it is the other way around. If the lens has no IS (OIS), the sensor does 5 axis stabilization: Yaw, Pitch, Roll, X and Z.

If it is an E mount lens with Optical Image Stabilization, the lens does Yaw and Pitch movement while the camera does the Roll, X and Z. Lens mounted through an adaptor, the camera does the 5 axis.

Since I don't own a Sony camera (in particular the A7 II), this is the conclusion that I reached after reading a lot of reviews of it, including Michael one here: https://luminous-landscape.com/sony-a7-mkii-hands-one/

I think this is generally correct, but with one addition that for this to work correctly the lens needs to be able to communicate the focal distance to the camera (like for instance with Minolta or Sony "D" lenses). This is needed for Pitch and Yaw correction to function correctly. In case the camera cannot determine the focal distance it defaults back to 3 axis stabilization (Roll, X, Z).
pieter, aka pegelli

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia

I think this is generally correct, but with one addition that for this to work correctly the lens needs to be able to communicate the focal distance to the camera (like for instance with Minolta or Sony "D" lenses). This is needed for Pitch and Yaw correction to function correctly. In case the camera cannot determine the focal distance it defaults back to 3 axis stabilization (Roll, X, Z).

A question, my understanding it is that you can input the actual focal distance manually, and in that case you have 5-axis, right? Probably not practical for a zoom lens, but it could be handy for a fixed focal lens.

pegelli

A question, my understanding it is that you can input the actual focal distance manually, and in that case you have 5-axis, right? Probably not practical for a zoom lens, but it could be handy for a fixed focal lens.
You can input focal length of the lens in a menu, which is needed for correct X and Z movement. But for pitch and yaw compensation to work correctly you also need to know at which distance from the camera the subject is located.
pieter, aka pegelli

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA

With my minor modifications I think you've just diagnosed most of what ails the human race.  :D

-Dave-

Fantastic!
Rolleiflex USA

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia

You can input focal length of the lens in a menu, which is needed for correct X and Z movement. But for pitch and yaw compensation to work correctly you also need to know at which distance from the camera the subject is located.

Got it, thanks for the info!

LKaven

They are not mentioning if the A7R II has an improved raw file format (uncompressed).

I suspect you meant "lossless" compression, not "uncompressed".  And indeed, that is a big question for this camera.

Niels_Patrick

• GEISSELBRECHT PHOTOGRAPHY

i am also very interested in the new Sony A7rII. It will be a great combination of 4k video and hires photography.
Can you shoot tethered via Capture one with Sony?
Can I use my Zeiss Otus and Nikorrs?

Thanks and greetings from sunny Frankfurt / Germany

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net

Capture 1 Pro has been working great with the Sonys for a while now.  I shoot tethered to it with the A7r daily and it's rock solid.  Nikkors (and Canons) can be used via a Metabones adapter.

CB

sailronin

• David Reams Photography

As great as this camera is (would probably replace my Nikon setup) if only we had a forum for 35mm related discussions! If only there was a rule that this forum is for medium and large format discussions only!

I thought there was a rule but when brought up some complain that MF shooter are elitist and snobs just spending money...hard for them to believe that my P30 was less then a Nikon D4.  This is the only web site where MF gets a page (that is actually active) and now it's tending more and more towards FF.
Maybe the moderators could start a Full Frame page...hint, hint!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 09:13:57 pm by sailronin »
Thank you for looking, comments and critiques are always welcome.
Dave

http://sailronin.smugmug.com

BobDavid

If I spent $XX,XXX on a camera, I'd want a special forum too.

atlnq9

I still can't figure out how photography degraded into this who has what camera and what is the hottest and best.  It is depressingly sad.

When did we loose touch with what photography was and become gear heads.  We can all pull out better high ISO, better resolution, better dynamic range than film.

Was it lost somewhere in the last 7yrs when digital caught up with film and prices came down allowing a lot of newcomer entry levels to come in not focused on the heart of photography but the latest gear out there?  When did everything change to letting the gear control our photography rather than what was in front of us?

I remember the days of film when if the scene had brights with shadows we were using grads carefully and switching to black and white to take advantage of contrast; rather now we seem to want the highest dynamic range to take a shot not focusing on the art of the shot but to take it into photoshop and get a fake looking HDR image...

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto

Hi,

I would say you generalize a lot.

On the other hand, I would say it is nice to get rid of grads, and HDRs can look like any other image, even if the effect has been kidnapped to create weird looks.

The greatest feature of the Sony FE is that you can use it with almost any lens, and that they have fixed some of the glaring omissions of the original A7r.

Best regards
Erik

I still can't figure out how photography degraded into this who has what camera and what is the hottest and best.  It is depressingly sad.

When did we loose touch with what photography was and become gear heads.  We can all pull out better high ISO, better resolution, better dynamic range than film.

Was it lost somewhere in the last 7yrs when digital caught up with film and prices came down allowing a lot of newcomer entry levels to come in not focused on the heart of photography but the latest gear out there?  When did everything change to letting the gear control our photography rather than what was in front of us?

I remember the days of film when if the scene had brights with shadows we were using grads carefully and switching to black and white to take advantage of contrast; rather now we seem to want the highest dynamic range to take a shot not focusing on the art of the shot but to take it into photoshop and get a fake looking HDR image...
Erik Kaffehr

torger

As cameras share technology and photographers use both formats it's natural to mix the two a bit. Sony mirrorless cameras are already used on various tech cameras. It has crosstalk issues with wide angles though just like the MF version of the sensor, which makes this new BSI sensor very exciting. For my personal photography MFD looks like a dead end currently, I can't upgrade my current 50 MP Kodak CCD and get the properties I want of a tech cam back (next step means compromising movements, change lenses etc), but if BSI CMOS is coming that is likely to change which is really great. It have to come in a package as affordable as CFV-50c is today though otherwise I'll skip it, so my hopes are for Hasselblad making yet another back for their discontinued V system.

This forum does not see that much traffic so making it broader to include related high resolution photography in general doesn't hurt.

It is a gear forum so tech discussions on gear is natural. Not all strive for the latest either, I see many posters having older gear, myself included. There are all kinds of users here.

marcmccalmont

When I pack my bag my MF is for the wide shots and my DSLR is for the long shots. My Bag gets pretty heavy The A7r II might just save me some weight over my D800E and my Leica R's will have some stabilization for the handheld shots! Win Win
Marc
Marc McCalmont

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram

When I pack my bag my MF is for the wide shots and my DSLR is for the long shots. My Bag gets pretty heavy The A7r II might just save me some weight over my D800E and my Leica R's will have some stabilization for the handheld shots! Win Win
Marc

My expectation is that Sony will now downscale this same tech and sell it in cheaper models. In particular, I'd expect sensor-shift super-resolution and tilt across the board.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up