Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need help printing jpgs converted from Raw Shooter  (Read 3844 times)

Goldilocks

• http://
Need help printing jpgs converted from Raw Shooter
« on: February 15, 2006, 12:19:20 am »

Hi.
I'm a little new to digital processing. I like using Raw Shooter and am considering buying the premium version, but I don't know enough about workspace, so that I have a printing and layout software to work and print efficiently with. I have Adobe Photoshop 6.0 which will print my jpegs converted from Raw Shooter, but only one per page. I would like to print multiple pictures per page to get an idea how they look before deciding which ones still need editing and which are worth a full page.
The Canon digital solutions disk version 26.0 seems nice to work with, but I haven't found a way to convert my images to jpegs that the canon software won't sqwauk about and refuse to print claiming uses different work space. I tried calling Canon to find out what I can do, but all they offer is there software and what modifications I would like for future updates to add to their files.
Since, the Canon Raw Task software does not help with noise (and that is a big issue with the s70) I cannot adjust my image with the control that I need. (Running it through Ninja Noise after converting it to jpeg would seem to defeat the purpose of editing software in Raw format.)
I do have an old Roxio PhotoSuite Version 5.1 that will print mulitiple prints on one page, but how do I know if the color is working correctly or if it just truncates information in order to print. The images don't seem as good as when I print in Adobe Photoshop 6.0 (Unless it is my neurosis, uncertainty)
My printer is a HP PhotoSmart 7550.
Since, I'm new to this colorworkspace, and don't know how the camera, raw format,  softwares and printers interrelate to one another I'm not really sure what is compatible, how I should save (convert) to jpeg and print with the flexibility of multiple prints on one page.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Linda

situgrrl

• http://www.charlyburnett.com
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 05:41:46 am »

Regarding colour spaces, set your camera and Photoshop to Adobe RGB.  Then calibrate everything until you run out of money.  You mention nothing of your colour management

Why are you converting RAW-jpg?  Jpeg is lossy, you might be better off converting to psd of tiff, and then converting to jpg for web/email.

I've only played with the demo version of Noise Ninja.  As far as I see, there is no way of intergrating it with your RAW workflow.  Once an image is converted from RAW, the results of NN can be spectatular and I can't wait until I can afford a full version!

Your statement "Running it through Ninja Noise after converting it to jpeg would seem to defeat the purpose of editing software in Raw format." I think is missing the point by a very wide mark:  If it gets the results required, who cares how it's done?

The film equivilent would be "Burning in the shadow areas when printing defeats the purpose of developing film in a tank"  Unless you convert your RAW files, you can't apply noise reduction.  Just like you can't print an undeveloped neg, I'm not aware of anything that prints RAW files, and I'm not sure I'd want to see them in that state anyhow!

So many of us use Camera RAW because it integrates so easily with Photoshop.  (And it's free!)  You'll need to upgrade to V7 to use it though.

Printing multiple pictures on a single sheet can be done quite easily in photoshop.  Open a new document the same size as your printer paper and then copy and paste the pictures to be printed into it.  You can then rearrange to taste.  I've never seen Roxio but it's given away with magazines here....I doubt that colour fidelity is high on it's priority list.

Good luck!

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 09:03:56 am »

Here's my 2 cents - as a RSE then RSP user.

I think you're better off doing the initial quality control check in RS rather than printing out multiple images per page.  I scroll through the RAW images and simply tweak the one's that pass first muster and convert.  BTW, I also convert from RAW to JPG (but that's a whole 'nother controversy - I'm in the minority).  Untill you've done the basic editing, there's really nothing to be gained by looking at the image on screen vs in print.

If you do want to print proofs, your version of PS might be able to print a contact sheet - so a search and see, but the images will be really small...

If you still want to print proofs, multiple to a page, google Qimage - inexpensive, 30 day free trial, color aware and easiest way to print (even easier than Photoshop), including x images per page.

You will need to get you system color callibrated - and don't bother with Adobe Gamma, you have to bite the bullet and get a hardware spyder.

Goldilocks

• http://
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 08:02:10 pm »

Thank you Tim and situgrll.
Tim, I don't know what BTW stands for. I guess I've been putting off calibrating my system, cause there is so much for me to catch up on (still suffering from a bad injury in 1998) and I'm not sure how long I will be using this system. Dell CRT Monitor M990 (19") purchased in 2000. My boyfriend is willing to give me a Starlogic Model M19BNK 19" TFT Active Matrix LCD Display it's sitting around the house. It has a Max Resolution 1280x1024. Do you have any suggestions as to which monitor would be best for graphics/photography. He just buys them for office use. Or what criteria I should be looking into?
 Also, my computer is a Pentium III 800 mhz, 32 MB Nividia TNT2 M64 APG Graphics, 128MB SDRAM at 133MHz.
Also, If I calibrate (and down the road upgrade) do I have to buy a new calibration kit?
Oh, and for some reason I never received an e-mail that anyone responded to this inquiry. I haven't used the forum for a month or so. Did something change in Luminous-Landscape or do you think it is just a fluke?
Thanks,
Linda
Oh, I print them to see if they look the way I thought I saw them (or would like to see them) based on the screen and my memory of the scene, after editing in Raw Shooter. Just trying to find an easy way to work without wasting alot of ink and start to find a way to organize my picture files.
Pages: [1]   Go Up