Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using a DSLR to copy slides  (Read 5914 times)

Slough

Using a DSLR to copy slides
« on: February 14, 2006, 05:10:40 pm »

Last night I decided to experiment and take some photographs of some KR64 slides with a Nikon D200 (10MP) and 60mm macro lens. Each slide was placed on a lightbox, with all other lights turned off, and the camera mounted on a tripod and the lens stopped down to F16.

I compared the results to scans from a Minolta 5400 scanner, a 5400 DPI dedicated film scanner with excellent dynamic range.

The digital image's colours were closer to the original, and the highlights held a bit more detail. Shadows were better on the scan but by an insignificant amount. The digital image was not quite as sharp as the scan, but the difference was insignificant, and might be improved by finding the optimum F stop for the lens. I used F16 but F11 might be better. The digital image also had less pronounced grain for some reason, and in my subjective judgement the general image quality was much better. The only thing lacking was ICE, but a rocket air blower was able to shift all dust from the slide.

Setting up was tedious due to having to get the tripod height correct, and then align the slide. However Nikon do a little gadget called the ES-1 that might make slide copying easier. It would also make sure that the slide was parallel to the sensor.

I am tempted to sell the slide scanner.

Has anyone else tried this and had similar results? Are there any alternatives to the Nikon ES-1 which costs about £50 in the UK including P&P.

Leif
« Last Edit: February 14, 2006, 05:11:32 pm by Slough »

Richowens

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 05:57:07 pm »

Hi Lieif

Yes, one of my photography group members does the same thing.
He uses an old copy stand with a small light table on it. That saves the trouble of setting up a tripod and getting the camera parallel.
His camera is a D70 and the same 60mm lens as yours. I don't know what lens opening he is using or shutter speed. I know he did mention that he is using ISO 200.
The show he presented digitally looked very nice except a little blocking up in the shadows. He shot his in jpeg, but in raw one might be able to open the shadows up a little.
It certainly is faster than scanning and the results are comparable.

I might have to do a little experimenting myself. That old enlarger in storage might have another use, turn it into a copy stand.

Rich

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 06:46:51 pm »

Several years ago I did the same with a Canon D30, and a cardboard holder for about 600 family slides using a 24mm extension tube and the 28-135 - the camera was about 1/4" from the slide.  Quality of the reproduction was "OK" given the relatively poor quality of the slides.  But from an archive/sharing perspective I was very happy.   Never would have happened if I was limited to scanning.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2006, 06:48:13 pm by Tim Gray »
Pages: [1]   Go Up