Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon 300mm PF lens. Where?  (Read 843 times)

Some Guy

Nikon 300mm PF lens. Where?
« on: June 09, 2015, 12:14:24 pm »

Since this lens got recalled for a firmware update fo VR issues, it's been about 5 months and no further lenses in the pipeline.  Any ideas as to when they will reappear from any dealers?

I also saw this blurb which is somewhat troubling off Nikon's own site in April:

"Depending upon the way the camera is held when shooting, or the shooting conditions, images may be blurred even after this lens firmware is updated."   ???

It's near the bottom of their "To users of the 300mm PF lens" here:

https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19448

Who announces it still may be blurred after the firmware update?  Seems odd to even mention that if it can't be fixed, and maybe why it isn't easy to find too.

SG

Some Guy

Re: Nikon 300mm PF lens. Where?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 09:54:36 pm »

A bit of searching and I found out that small dealers are getting it ahead of the larger ones (i.e. B&H, Adorama, Amazon, Samy's, etc. still nothing.) since the firmware update.   I found one who got three in this week and I took his last one today.  Another dealer in Roseville, CA has one, but they will not ship it even though they have an online website to order from (???) so no luck there.

As is typical of my D800E it backfocuses on all my lenses and I had to set a -15 with this one, but wow is it sharp!  I ran it through Dxo Optics Elite 10 (It has the lens module for the 300mm f/4 PF now) with PRIME and images are quite impressive.

Shot out the door of some nearby cell tower full frame.  Speed 1/320 at f/8 handheld with VR on.  With VR on, it is very apparent that the image is being steadied in the viewfinder once the release button is partially pressed down.  Tower is maybe 500 feet distant.  In the TIFF conversion, I can see the individual bolts and rivets of the tower and hardware.  Not much CA which I find interesting, but DxO 10 may have addressed it too.

May be even lighter in weight than the 70-200 f/2.8 II zoom too.  I question if mounting a L-plate on it is even needed as it is so short and light.

SG
Pages: [1]   Go Up