Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Check out the sharpness of these Canon 5DS raws - not bad for 35mm!  (Read 9279 times)

PaulSchneider

Hi guys!

Scroll down to raws, JPGs are worthless:

http://www.photographyblog.com/previews/canon_eos_5ds_sigma_24mm_35mm_50mm_photos/

Open on MAC with Iridient raw developer (free trial possible) and play around with the sharpening filters (reveal and hybrid).

To me, I was not excpecting this level of sharpness. Looks like a piece of MFD to me!

What do you think? In my view, Canon plus great glass ist not bad at all, it seems!

Colors are plasticky though!

Best

-P

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: Check out the sharpness of these Canon 5DS raws - not bad for 35mm!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 03:30:29 am »

Colors are plasticky though!

Hi,

The camera doesn't make plasticky colors, it just records them. Color rendering depends on the converter's algorithms, and the camera's color profile used ...

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 05:45:11 am »

Be careful, the MF police will be here soon!

Unless you can convince them that the 5Ds is a MF camera, you are in deep trouble my friend! ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 08:17:52 am »

Hi,

The camera doesn't make plasticky colors, it just records them. Color rendering depends on the converter's algorithms, and the camera's color profile used ...

Cheers,
Bart

Bart, coming from *you* of all people here, this statement really astonishes. You're certainly considerably more knowledgable than I am when it come to imaging.  Maybe you need a couple of strong coffees and a helpful counterexample to jolt your brain awake? Well, the RED Dragon and its foobarred sensor provides it nicely. An accessory filter has been designed to improve the color performance of this sensor in ways which software cannot. And yes, texture loss may not necessarily be a hardware sensor issue proper, but it may be a side effect of the hardware choices which a manufacturer made for noise removal and signal processing.

And BTW, for once this post is not off-topic because clean color and texture really are one of the things which a lot of the old CCD backs were appreciated for.

http://www.newsshooter.com/2015/06/06/achtels-trueblue-optical-filter-for-red-dragon-and-red-epic-cameras-removing-unwanted-magenta/

« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 08:32:52 am by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Some Guy

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 10:52:50 am »

Interesting to play with the downloadable 5Ds RAW files.  BIG!!!

DxO Optics Pro 10 didn't have the modules to open them yet.  RawTherapee will, and Corel just put out Patch 3 for PaintShop Pro X7 today that allows its RAW engine to open them.

However, the whites in the church ceiling (ISO 12,800) are really peppered with red/green noise in Corel PSP X7 III new RAW for them.  I then opened it in Topaz Denoise 5 and had to go to RAW-Stronger to get rid of it and they do look better doing that.  Hopefully DxO Optics 10 will get the module out to open them and correct the distortion along with their PRIME engine to see how it handles those files (Which may take several minutes based on their size and my knowledge of how slow the D800E files are processed.).

SG

Otto Phocus

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 11:35:00 am »

I think a lot of people are going to be happy with this new camera.
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

buckshot

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 12:19:57 pm »

My cat has just taken a photo with a new Samsung smartphone that, to my eye, looks like it was taken with an IQ380. Ok to post some pics here ?

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2015, 12:35:25 pm »

Bart, coming from *you* of all people here, this statement really astonishes.

Edmund, why? Do you have any evidence that the 5DS / 5DS R does produce plasticky colors?

Of course there are differences between cameras, due to the characteristics of the IR filtration and the chosen CFA, but I do not know of any credible evidence that the 5DS / 5DS R is poor in that respect. On the contrary, the Raw conversions in Capture One, and even in ACR, look pretty nice.

Well, the RED Dragon and its foobarred sensor provides it nicely. An accessory filter has been designed to improve the color performance of this sensor in ways which software cannot.

Maybe their choice of CFA made a correction filter more necessary. BTW, the marketing examples of the 'trueblue"  filter effect are laughable, and their explanation is only partly correct. Since this is a thread about the Canon camera, I'm not going to waste my time in addressing the RED Dragon promotional claims.

And yes, texture loss may not necessarily be a hardware sensor issue proper, but it may be a side effect of the hardware choices which a manufacturer made for noise removal and signal processing.

Ah, so you do seem to understand what's going on. I also think the OPs comment was more related to noise reduced high ISO shots with a studio (low ISO optimized) camera. Software noise reduction may clobber detail if done wrong, but the camera does not write plasticky color data to the sensor.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2015, 01:19:41 pm »

Be careful, the MF police will be here soon!

Unless you can convince them that the 5Ds is a MF camera, you are in deep trouble my friend! ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

Yeah, you screwed up Paul. 

Mind your back!

;D

Steve Hendrix
CI

Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

PaulSchneider

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2015, 01:27:10 pm »

Not to take any merits from MFD systems away! A lot of the value comes from other factors beside the pure raw file: back handling and integrated review tools, ipad integration, LS lenses, MFD booked and representation of space due to the bigger format, capture one integration with the whole system leading to great raw processing etc. What anyone is able or wants to pay for that is another topic.

But nonetheless, I was honestly surprised to see this quality from a canon sensor lens combo - the last camera I had from Canon was a 5d MK II and in conjunction with the then existing red-stripe lens offerings from Canon the files never exhibited this level of sharpness and detail.

... But please do not incarcerate me! Dear police officers!  :-[  ;)

Yeah, you screwed up Paul.  

Mind your back!

;D

Steve Hendrix
CI

gazwas

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2015, 04:59:27 pm »

Considering most of those shots were taken at less than optimum apertures, Capture One 8.3 makes these files sing and they look amazingly impressive. A quick play around with the files in C1 using the Phase One IQ350 profile gives very pleasing colours to my eye.
trying to think of something meaningful........ Err?

torger

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2015, 08:32:39 am »

Hardware do have some effect on color, but no way near as much as the average photographer thinks. It's mainly a profile thing.

I think many photographers would gain from having a workflow which incorporated making own color profiles. You could then with much less effort, risk and angst move between different camera systems and raw converters. Manfacturers gain from maintaining the view that color is 90% about hardware and only 10% about profile, while it's rather the other way around.

eronald

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2015, 10:22:53 am »

Hardware do have some effect on color, but no way near as much as the average photographer thinks. It's mainly a profile thing.

I think many photographers would gain from having a workflow which incorporated making own color profiles. You could then with much less effort, risk and angst move between different camera systems and raw converters. Manfacturers gain from maintaining the view that color is 90% about hardware and only 10% about profile, while it's rather the other way around.

So you think the profiles made by the converter geeks are bad?

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

torger

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2015, 10:39:51 am »

So you think the profiles made by the converter geeks are bad?

Well, they are like printer profiles, or default screen settings. Made to impress the average user, generally not made to be accurate or, well, good. If you by converter geeks mean employees at say Adobe that make profiles for commercial products.

There are exceptions though, the MFD guys, C1 & Hassy have been very successful in designing successful looks desired by the pros. However it is still about a designed look, a heritage from the film days. I don't think digital should work this way. I think it's time for photographers to take command over their own color and develop workflows that is less dependent on the taste of raw converter and camera makers.

I haven't really investigated the issue but I'm assuming many smaller raw converters like iridient etc make neutral profiles rather than a look though.

Can photographers succeed equally well, or is it just too difficult so you must leave it to the manufacturers? I don't know for sure. I know I prefer using my own neutral profiles than using a readily packaged look, but on the other hand I do landscape photos not portraits. But I think a major aspect of the problem is that people don't try, the more people try the more and better techniques of how to work with your colors to get them the way you like without having to buy camera X Y or Z would then appear.

CCD believers are getting fewer day by day anyway, and color responses become more and more equal between cameras (that's why cross-using profiles can provide quite good results) so I expect the talk about camera-specific color will eventually fade.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 10:45:23 am by torger »

eronald

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2015, 10:43:54 am »

Yes. I suggest this for anyone who wants to try:

http://www.xrite.com/online-color-test-challenge

Edmund

Well, they are like printer profiles, or default screen settings. Made to impress the average user, generally not made to be accurate or, well, good. If you by converter geeks mean employees at say Adobe that make profiles for commercial products.

There are exceptions though, the MFD guys, C1 & Hassy have been very successful in designing successful looks desired by the pros. However it is still about a designed look, a heritage from the film days. I don't think digital should work this way. I think it's time for photographers to take command over their own color and develop workflows that is less dependent on the taste of raw converter and camera makers.

Can photographers succeed equally well, or is it just too difficult so you must leave it to the manufacturers? I don't know for sure. I know I prefer using my own neutral profiles than using a readily packaged look, but on the other hand I do landscape photos not portraits. But I think a major aspect of the problem is that people don't try, the more people try the more and better techniques of how to work with your colors to get them the way you like without having to buy camera X Y or Z would then appear.

torger

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2015, 10:50:41 am »

Yes. I suggest this for anyone who wants to try:

http://www.xrite.com/online-color-test-challenge

I don't think that expert skill in differentiating small differences in shades are necessary to make good color in post-processing. The adjustments are not on that detail level, if they were they would just break gradients.

It's helpful when selecting the correct white balance or doing various fine-tuning which photographers do all the time anyway. I don't think it makes sense romancing a default look when people are tweaking it like crazy anyway. Why not just start with a neutral rendering and then work from there.

That said I'm not claiming to have the absolute answer here. Maybe I shall take a look on those pictures to start with...
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 11:20:39 am by torger »

yashima

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2015, 04:45:32 pm »

Very nice test! I got 4, rushed through the last one a little bit.

eronald

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2015, 06:54:28 pm »

I don't think that expert skill in differentiating small differences in shades are necessary to make good color in post-processing. The adjustments are not on that detail level, if they were they would just break gradients.

It's helpful when selecting the correct white balance or doing various fine-tuning which photographers do all the time anyway. I don't think it makes sense romancing a default look when people are tweaking it like crazy anyway. Why not just start with a neutral rendering and then work from there.

That said I'm not claiming to have the absolute answer here. Maybe I shall take a look on those pictures to start with...

Actually yes, the adjustments are at that level. Go to a big fashion shop, and look at the lipstick and cosmetic shades. also, as a friend who does art repro told me 'if a painter has spent 15 years perfecting his blue, he wants to see his blue on the repro'. This is not photography, it is profile editing, a very specific task, for which many employ their own custom software, and first rate calibrated monitors, and good eyes.

Edmund
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 06:57:39 pm by eronald »

torger

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2015, 03:39:31 am »

Actually yes, the adjustments are at that level. Go to a big fashion shop, and look at the lipstick and cosmetic shades. also, as a friend who does art repro told me 'if a painter has spent 15 years perfecting his blue, he wants to see his blue on the repro'. This is not photography, it is profile editing, a very specific task, for which many employ their own custom software, and first rate calibrated monitors, and good eyes.

That's repro. Making repro profiles requires a lot of knowledge and craftsman skill in measurement and target design, but you rely on instruments not eyes. Repro does not leave space for personal interpretation, it's about copying as accurately as possible.

You don't get to add things like making highlights warmer, shadows cooler and more saturated, and increasing separation of neutrals which are typical adjustments in the standard subjective profiles coming with the big commercial raw converters.

In repro your job is to copy. I'm no expert in repro but I've followed quite a few workflows and not a single one include the idea of hand-tuning colors to taste. You make a target, ideally with the same colorants as the artwork you're copying, you measure it with a spectrometer, and you shoot it and design a LUT profile that makes colors as accurate as possible.

Looking at typical fashion editing there's generally a lot of post-processing work, evening out colors, compensating for slight light differences, compensating for model not having full body makeup etc. To me it seems unlikely that these professionals actually gain from having a Phase One Image Professor tune a profile after his specific taste and light conditions. It would make much more sense to actual users if the standard in digital photography was to deliver as accurate colors as possible out of the box, rather than trying to differentiate cameras with "looks". If you make and sell cameras and also to some extent raw converters you gain from the widespread view that color is mostly a hardware thing and making good color is so difficult that it's better using a bundled generic profile made by experts with golden eyes rather than using your own eyes adjusting color for your specific scene and content.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 03:43:57 am by torger »

eronald

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2015, 07:06:03 am »

Torger,

If you want a neutral profile, there's a very nice gadget from Image Engineering which has a bunch of narrowband filters and computes a profile for any illuminant with one click.

If you want to go and make edited profiles go ahead, no one is stopping you. If you live in America you are entirely free to have bad taste, it's called artistic innovation, and even if you live elsewhere, I don't think the cultural commissars will pursue you for color heresy.  There are probably still some editors on the market, when I was doing this seriously I wrote my own editing suite, and so did the other color consultants I know who do camera color.

But if you continue to assert that camera color is just a software issue, then I would suggest you need to go out and shoot some more. You remind me of Thomas Knoll, a superb programmer and imaging expert who discovered Raw color quite late and decided to characterise cameras by shooting targets using an adjustable fluorescent lightbooth to select the color temperature. The result were those lovely Lightroom profiles, which characterized his lightbooth very well, and ensured that C1 stayed the top Raw converter for quite some time.

Edmund

That's repro. Making repro profiles requires a lot of knowledge and craftsman skill in measurement and target design, but you rely on instruments not eyes. Repro does not leave space for personal interpretation, it's about copying as accurately as possible.

You don't get to add things like making highlights warmer, shadows cooler and more saturated, and increasing separation of neutrals which are typical adjustments in the standard subjective profiles coming with the big commercial raw converters.

In repro your job is to copy. I'm no expert in repro but I've followed quite a few workflows and not a single one include the idea of hand-tuning colors to taste. You make a target, ideally with the same colorants as the artwork you're copying, you measure it with a spectrometer, and you shoot it and design a LUT profile that makes colors as accurate as possible.

Looking at typical fashion editing there's generally a lot of post-processing work, evening out colors, compensating for slight light differences, compensating for model not having full body makeup etc. To me it seems unlikely that these professionals actually gain from having a Phase One Image Professor tune a profile after his specific taste and light conditions. It would make much more sense to actual users if the standard in digital photography was to deliver as accurate colors as possible out of the box, rather than trying to differentiate cameras with "looks". If you make and sell cameras and also to some extent raw converters you gain from the widespread view that color is mostly a hardware thing and making good color is so difficult that it's better using a bundled generic profile made by experts with golden eyes rather than using your own eyes adjusting color for your specific scene and content.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 07:20:20 am by eronald »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up