Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where can I get an Epson 7900 print head?  (Read 1492 times)

davisstew

Where can I get an Epson 7900 print head?
« on: June 08, 2015, 02:55:02 pm »

Hi everyone.
I have an Epson 7900 that has a bad print head. Tried everything to clean it and nothing. So I'm to the point of looking for a new head. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to purchase a new head? I have read you can get them from Epson, but when I called, they told me they do not sell them and that I need to have a service tech come out and look at it.
The only place I found is out of China and costs about $1800.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Davis

I.T. Supplies

Re: Where can I get an Epson 7900 print head?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 04:40:45 pm »

Davis

Epson built their printers to have the print heads last for a while and not be user replaceable.  Doesn't mean some people haven't replaced it themselves before.  Unfortunately, it may be hard to find a new head within a reasonable cost unless you contact a authorized service center or 3rd party for assistance.

Authorized Service Centers will be located thru this link.  Just type your zip code and maybe they can assist you with information.
http://epson.pricespider.com/ServiceLocator.aspx?country=US&sku=SP7900HDR#location=28374

Hope this helps.

aaron_kennison

Re: Where can I get an Epson 7900 print head?
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 07:09:14 pm »

I have a head I pulled from my 9900.  I thought it was bad, but it was more likely the selector unit (the device that sits on the head and meters the ink).  I have the head in a sealed container, with a moist cloth inside to prevent it from drying out.  It was pulled 2 weeks ago.  I'm open to selling it to you as-is for testing.  PM me if interested.

On the topic of "bad heads" - lots has been written about this, and I believed that was my issue as well.  The first nozzle check after swapping the head for another used one, and adding a new selector unit was exactly the same as before I pulled the head.  In my case there was no black or light black in the nozzle check print.  However, as the system started to finally pass some ink, both of those "dead channels" started to fill in.... after about 15 nozzle checks and a couple C1 cleanings it was 100%.  The used head I tried was from a 9900 where magenta had dropped out, and their new head didn't fix the problem.  Magenta worked fine for me before and after.  I have my suspicions that all these "bad heads" are actually "bad dampers" or selector units.  The selector is $175 from Compass Micro, 10% the cost of a new head.  It's worth the shot, IMO, to start with that. YMMV.

Aaron
Pages: [1]   Go Up