Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any Difference Stitching with Longer Lens vs. One Shot Wide Angle?  (Read 3555 times)

mrkjhn

Shooting interiors with wide angles, I'm never happy with the amount of distortion in perspective (not talking about curving lines but more the distorted perspective / look of wide angles, the extreme foregrounds and shrunken distant objects, the relationship between near and far).   I was wondering if stitching together multiple frames from a vertical 50mm would solve that, giving the look of a 50mm, but covering a wider angle of view.  I did some preliminary test, rather unscientific and quick in execution, and really didn't notice much if any difference which was puzzling. Is the perspective of an image the same regardless of how it's created, multi shot with a longer lens vs. one shot wide angle?

Petrus

Re: Any Difference Stitching with Longer Lens vs. One Shot Wide Angle?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 03:18:54 am »

Is the perspective of an image the same regardless of how it's created, multi shot with a longer lens vs. one shot wide angle?

Yes. Perspective is the relationship between near and far objects. Lens has NOTHING to do with it. Lens only determines the angle captured on the sensor/film. With wide enough angles there will be noticeable stretching in the corners particularly, but like you say, that has nothing to do with perspective either. If doing rectilinear stitches this effect is exactly the same no matter what focal length lens is used, or just one shot with an extreme wide-angle.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 04:11:25 am »

Shooting interiors with wide angles, I'm never happy with the amount of distortion in perspective (not talking about curving lines but more the distorted perspective / look of wide angles, the extreme foregrounds and shrunken distant objects, the relationship between near and far).   I was wondering if stitching together multiple frames from a vertical 50mm would solve that, giving the look of a 50mm, but covering a wider angle of view.  I did some preliminary test, rather unscientific and quick in execution, and really didn't notice much if any difference which was puzzling. Is the perspective of an image the same regardless of how it's created, multi shot with a longer lens vs. one shot wide angle?

Hi,

Perspective is determined by the position of the entrance pupil of the lens. Focal length only determines the magnification factor on sensor, and thus the angle of view. Stitching will therefore not change the perspective, assuming that the entrance pupil was at the same spot.

Where a pano stitcher might(!) help for some subjects (mostly without straight lines), is by changing the output projection from rectilinear to another projection (distortion). For architecture, you're mostly stuck with rectilinear projection to keep straight lines from bending, unless you create a VR scene for web viewing which allows to zoom in/out and pan around. If you restrict the abilty to zoom out, then the perceived projection distortion/stretching will be limited.

The only real way to avoid perceived distortion (stretching near corners) from projection on a flat plane is by increasing the shooting distance (which changes perspective), or viewing the output from the proportionally same distance as the lens used to capture the image (which is uncomfortably close with wide angle shots on small output sizes).

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 04:25:18 am »

Why do you ask the same question in two places : see my answer for your other identical post

I think double posting is unnecessary and confusing.
pieter, aka pegelli

mrkjhn

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 10:47:56 am »

Sorry for the double posting; question didn't necessarily fall within "landscape & nature" nor "equipment" so tried to cover all bases for answers.  Will refrain next time.

mrkjhn

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 10:54:48 am »

I was hoping by capturing a scene with a longer focal length lens and stitched would give me the "compressed" look of a longer lens.  So the reality is if you were to shoot a scene with a 400, and the same scene with a 21, and zoom in on the 21 to the exact area the 400 covered, they'd have the same "compressed" look to them (not taking into account image degradation  etc...)  Guess I'm trying to bend the laws of physics.  Wouldn't be the first time.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015, 11:02:32 am »

... if you were to shoot a scene with a 400, and the same scene with a 21, and zoom in on the 21 to the exact area the 400 covered, they'd have the same "compressed" look to them...

Correct.

However, if you are looking for a kindred spirit (to "bend the laws of physics"), there is one on this forum (there is always one) - Ray, are you reading this? ;D

ripgriffith

• ripsart.com
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2015, 02:04:31 pm »

Why do you ask the same question in two places : see my answer for your other identical post

I think double posting is unnecessary and confusing.
Why is that a problem for you?  You aren't required to post your answer twice.

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2015, 02:54:33 pm »

Why is that a problem for you?  You aren't required to post your answer twice.
I think posting a question once will be much easier, both for the poster as well as for people reacting.
People answering in two different threads might result in conflicting information.
I never said it was a problem, those are your words.
pieter, aka pegelli

maddogmurph

• Maddog's Photography
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2015, 06:09:33 pm »

"I never said it was a problem, those are your words."
Such a technical passive aggressive group. 

This got me to think hypothetically, if I took a 50 mm stood on the left of the room, snap, center room, snap, right of room, snap (Same distance from wall).  Stitch these together... what happens?
Maddog Murph
www.depictionsofbeauty.com
Mostly here for constructive feedback.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2015, 07:02:49 pm »

Such a technical passive aggressive group.  

This got me to think hypothetically, if I took a 50 mm stood on the left of the room, snap, center room, snap, right of room, snap (Same distance from wall).  Stitch these together... what happens?

Hi,

If the room is empty, then you'd be able to reconstruct the wall at the opposite side of the room. If the room is not empty, then the furniture will ruin the visual result, unless you can mask it out in the overlapping seams and at least one of the shots can 'look behind' the occlusion. This is also a method to remove stuff like lamp posts and traffic signs when e.g. photographing flat planes like (a row of) store windows or murals, or the ground surface from an airplane. Anything with depth will cause (parallax) issues.

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 02:58:39 am by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2015, 02:01:26 am »

Hi,

I agree with Bart. Just to mention, DxO has a product called Viewpoint that may be able to correct "volume distortion". I have just used it once on a lady stretched out by a 14 mm wide in a landscape shot, and it worked.

Problem is that if something is fixed, something else will be broken.

The only way to change perspective is moving the view point, also there is no possible way of keeping perspective if the view point is moved.

Rendering/mapping an image is a different thing.

Best regards
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: [1]   Go Up