Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 16x9 format.  (Read 1066 times)

Some Guy

16x9 format.
« on: June 07, 2015, 12:11:28 pm »

Beginning to see some of this showing up in local lab.  Some 4K cameras seem to use that size for newer TV screens.  Might be newer cell camera format too.

Paper prints off 4K seems to be an issue where size might be close to 17x30.2 inches needing a roll and cut off it.  Framing is another matter and costs a fortune as it will need sourced to a commercial framer.

Just when I thought 13x19 frames were a problem and just now getting into the mainstream (Thx. Aaron Brothers) for printing paper off the 13" printers.  Now comes along a new and wider image format of 16x9?

Anyone else seeing this sort of wide-screen to print stuff lately?  ???

SG

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
Re: 16x9 format.
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 05:51:03 pm »

I print 16x9 of my own work regularly and have for the last few years since I've been shooting video with my stills. With my m43 cameras, it's just another setting along with 4:3, 3:2, 1:1, 16:9.

It's no big deal form me and just a matter of having a bunch of matts pre-cut that will fit in a standard frame.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

dwswager

Re: 16x9 format.
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 06:02:07 pm »

Beginning to see some of this showing up in local lab.  Some 4K cameras seem to use that size for newer TV screens.  Might be newer cell camera format too.

Paper prints off 4K seems to be an issue where size might be close to 17x30.2 inches needing a roll and cut off it.  Framing is another matter and costs a fortune as it will need sourced to a commercial framer.

Just when I thought 13x19 frames were a problem and just now getting into the mainstream (Thx. Aaron Brothers) for printing paper off the 13" printers.  Now comes along a new and wider image format of 16x9?

Anyone else seeing this sort of wide-screen to print stuff lately?  ???

SG

16x9 is HDTV format.  It is the standard format for most cell phones and so most cellphone cameras shoot that among other formats.  4K is specifically a doubling of the HDTV standard so it has the same aspect. 

BTW, 16x9 is an aspect ratio, not a size.  You can print as small or big as you like.   And if you are printing your own, you can print any size and aspect you want.  Most DSLRs are 2x3 aspect.  That doesn't lock you in to 2x3 aspect prints!
Pages: [1]   Go Up