Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: On PC  (Read 35996 times)

Gwilly

On PC
« on: February 13, 2006, 03:45:36 pm »

Does anyone have any knowledge when Lightroom will be available on the PC platform?

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
On PC
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 08:08:16 pm »

Yes...

KeithR

On PC
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 09:28:48 pm »

Yes...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=58089\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Mr. Schewe
Or do we call you the Great and powerful OZ?
Could you give us poor PC users an idea of how long before we get to play with Adobes new toy? I don't know about other PC users that utilize PSCS2 and ACR, but after reading about Lightroom, I for one would love to try it out.
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

Schewe

On PC
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 10:00:47 pm »

George Jardine from Adobe indicated, on the Adobe.labs site that the Windows version will be some time this summer...

Davidk

On PC
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2006, 11:22:04 pm »

Yes...

Not quite sure if you're trying to be funny, or a j**k.  Either way, why bother with  an answer such as this?    Davidk

macgyver

On PC
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2006, 11:49:13 pm »

Summer eh?  Ouch.  I would like to say I'm sad, but after years of taking abuse for using a mac, I'm not sure I can muster the sadness.

Schewe

On PC
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2006, 12:48:37 am »

I answered the question asked...and if one were to spend some time on Adobe.Labs, the answer from George would have been noted...

Pelao

On PC
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2006, 07:46:21 am »

Yes...

While I understand people being impatient for the WIN version, I can also understand that anyone that does know the answer cannot release it for commercial reasons.

presumably Adobe have to write it for Vista, which is still being developed - this may complicate the process a bit.

canlogic

• http://
On PC
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2006, 08:14:26 am »

I have read through the threads at the lab site and he says they are not waiting for the next version of Windows and that the windows version will be available soon. I didn't see any reference to it not comeing until the summer.
1dmkIII, some lenses, Epson 7880, iMac,

JJP

On PC
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2006, 08:23:59 am »

IMO, Adobe should have waited and released BOTH Beta versions (MAC & PC) at the same time.  Letting us PC users taste Lightroom with the tip of our tongues, then pulling it away is dirty play if you ask me.
jules
JJ

canlogic

On PC
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2006, 09:43:03 am »

IMO, Adobe should have waited and released BOTH Beta versions (MAC & PC) at the same time.  Letting us PC users taste Lightroom with the tip of our tongues, then pulling it away is dirty play if you ask me.
jules
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=58195\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It's obvious they pushed it out because of Aperture, although I am sure they say it had nothing to do with that. I guess if they could persuade people not to shell out $500 now but to wait for Lightroom they were saving some customers down the road. I guess alot of people would not buy both and once commited would stick with what they have. Gates did the same thing with Windows when the first Mac came out and it worked for him. In the end it will only be better for the users as they strive to outdo each other.

Pelao

On PC
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2006, 10:26:27 am »

It's obvious they pushed it out because of Aperture, although I am sure they say it had nothing to do with that. I guess if they could persuade people not to shell out $500 now but to wait for Lightroom they were saving some customers down the road. I guess alot of people would not buy both and once commited would stick with what they have. Gates did the same thing with Windows when the first Mac came out and it worked for him. In the end it will only be better for the users as they strive to outdo each other.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=58201\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This seems reasonable. Of course Lightroom was being developed for some time, but it's initial Beta release was surely a response to Aperture. Just look what happened to Adobe with Final Cut - Apple has taken a big piece of Adobe's share. Adobe has learned. They also know that with the rapid growth of DSLR and other RAW capable cameras that there is a new, large market appearing. For most things this market will not need CS2 and it's successors. Other companies also know that this market is growing and there are now an increasing number of photo editing options out there. Adobe needs to hang on to the market it has, and extend it into the new niches.

Launching LR as a Beta was incredibly smart. A lot of pros are on Macs, and would seriously consider Aperture - once they move, they rarely come back. This way, not only are they aware of Adobe's product, but with it being a Beta they are involved, and through the forums there is a sense of community. So the app has momentum and loyalty long before release. Good marketing.

This will have hit Aperture very hard.

KeithR

On PC
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2006, 08:53:26 pm »

George Jardine from Adobe indicated, on the Adobe.labs site that the Windows version will be some time this summer...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=58180\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the info. Hope it's an early summer....
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

jlmwyo

On PC
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2006, 12:08:13 am »

I'll tell you what, after listening to all the Podcasts and watching the various tutorial vid's available, I can't WAIT for the Win beta to come out. Really really really can't wait.

I hope it's soon. Really  
Images of Wyoming
 [url=http://www.pbase.

canlogic

On PC
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2006, 09:24:55 am »

I'll tell you what, after listening to all the Podcasts and watching the various tutorial vid's available, I can't WAIT for the Win beta to come out. Really really really can't wait.

I hope it's soon. Really 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=63028\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Now that Aperture 1.1 is out Adobe will have to do some major work before it is a competitor. I use both and I find that Apertures conversion is at least the equal to Lightroom and with all the other features Aperture is way ahead.

DarkPenguin

On PC
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2006, 11:26:37 am »

Now that Aperture 1.1 is out Adobe will have to do some major work before it is a competitor. I use both and I find that Apertures conversion is at least the equal to Lightroom and with all the other features Aperture is way ahead.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=63723\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

They just need to come out with a windows version.  Which, apparently, is major work.

David Mantripp

• :: snowhenge dot net ::
On PC
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2006, 04:14:21 pm »

Launching LR as a Beta was incredibly smart. A lot of pros are on Macs, and would seriously consider Aperture - once they move, they rarely come back. This way, not only are they aware of Adobe's product, but with it being a Beta they are involved, and through the forums there is a sense of community. So the app has momentum and loyalty long before release. Good marketing.

This will have hit Aperture very hard.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=58203\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well I don't know about that. The momentum behind LR seems to have died off, and to be honest, there isn't so much to Beta 2 beyond a pretty file browser and an alternative set of controls for ACR.  I keep finding things that just annoy me... I suppose there are solutions, but I haven't got the energy to spend all day on Adobe forums... for example, how the &%ç%% do you turn off the abysmal "Lightroom Default" ?  Why does Adobe insist on pushing some programmers idea of what looks nice on us (as in ACR, as well ?).  First thing I have to do with every image is set the "flat" profile. Second, why are the ratings options so meek, and why can't I see them in the thumbnail strip in the Develop pane ?

LR seems a very lightweight application to me - a true successor to Kai's Soap.  Maybe there will be DAM tools. Maybe there will be better interplay with Photoshop. Maybe there will be more powerful batch processing. But up to now, only the best efforts of the Adobe fanboys, propagandists and Lightroom cottage industry wannabees are keeping up the notion that LR is way better than Aperture. Actually, LR is to Aperture as ACDSee is to Photoshop.  So it has a sense of community. Wonderful. That makes up for a lack of features, I guess. Pah. Emperors and lack of clothes come to mind.

Regardless, I still see no compelling reason to move to either from CaptureOne / Photoshop / iView MediaPro
--
David Mantripp

michael

On PC
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2006, 04:40:06 pm »

Come on David. Don't be shy. Tell us how you really feel.  

Michael

David Mantripp

• :: snowhenge dot net ::
On PC
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2006, 04:58:52 pm »

Well I've been one to go with the (work)flow....

Or for that matter consistent.  But I have just spent rather a long time using LR, and despite finding it useful, I still don't get that paradigm shifting feeling.  Still, that's why we have options.
--
David Mantripp

canlogic

On PC
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2006, 09:58:41 pm »

Well I've been one to go with the (work)flow....

Or for that matter consistent.  But I have just spent rather a long time using LR, and despite finding it useful, I still don't get that paradigm shifting feeling.  Still, that's why we have options.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=64502\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Have to agree on this. I have been useing both and LR is not in the same league at all. I am even finding that conversions from my 1dmkii and 5d are better in Aperture than LR. It is subjective of course. Not that I am against LR and fully expect to purchase a copy for my Windows notebook.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up