Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: On PC  (Read 35997 times)

gehle

On PC
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2006, 09:48:48 pm »

Here is my guess of when LR for the PC will appear:

The MAC version expires at the end of June and since Summer starts June 21st, I am guessing that we will see both a new MAC Beta as well as the PC Beta before the end of June.

Just my guess when I add all the "little hints" together.

I can't wait 'cause I don't own a MAC  

jlmwyo

On PC
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2006, 03:35:21 am »

Here is my guess of when LR for the PC will appear:

The MAC version expires at the end of June and since Summer starts June 21st, I am guessing that we will see both a new MAC Beta as well as the PC Beta before the end of June.

Just my guess when I add all the "little hints" together.

I can't wait 'cause I don't own a MAC 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=65035\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm waiting too. Put it out allready  
Images of Wyoming
 [url=http://www.pbase.

AdrianW

On PC
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2006, 08:29:21 am »

Ironic really, instead of trying to battle with Apple - they could have had the huge PC marketplace to themselves.

I'm almost hoping someone else will steal that market whilst we wait for Adobe to get their collective digit out ;)

David Mantripp

• :: snowhenge dot net ::
On PC
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2006, 04:31:36 pm »

Ironic really, instead of trying to battle with Apple - they could have had the huge PC marketplace to themselves.

I'm almost hoping someone else will steal that market whilst we wait for Adobe to get their collective digit out
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=65636\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well you could take a look at Lightzone while you're waiting, then....
--
David Mantripp

jdyke

• http://www.jondyke.com
On PC
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2006, 01:04:13 pm »

I don't know if the rumours are right (and I don't often believe rumours) but I have heard on various forums that the Windows version will NOT be the BETA 3 version!  In other words at some point in June (so I am lead to beleive) the MAC version will go to BETA3 and but the PC version will be released and potentialy have a lot less features!  

Please Please Please someone tell me this is not true otherwise this really is another  'kick in the teeth' for PC users.  

I appreciate that many pros are on Mac's but lets be honest about this, there are a lot more folk using PC's than Mac's.  

I also appreciate that this is a BETA version of software and lets face it is an unprecidented step forward in software design by making it a beta public,  but by exluding the PC community for so long in the 'listening' process of a beta this must be considered to be a wee bit of an insult!   Without being to use the product how can you really comment on what you want to see in the finished version?!

Sorry for the rant folks but I am just a bit frustrated by what I am hearing and keen to get a beta to have a look at (and hopefully someone in the know will put me in my place  

JD

GlennP

On PC
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2006, 09:48:50 am »

If you read the latest here on Luminous Landscape you will see that the Beta 3 is also for windows. Take heart
God bless

Glenn

pvonk

On PC
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2006, 11:00:34 am »

I appreciate that many pros are on Mac's but lets be honest about this, there are a lot more folk using PC's than Mac's. 

I think a lot of people forget this is a "beta" - it's intended to get feedback from users, and in this case, people who live and breathe photography.  My impression is that most of these folks are Mac users, so it would make sense to target them.  

- Pierre

john beardsworth

• My photography site
On PC
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2006, 11:00:39 am »

I also appreciate that this is a BETA version of software and let's face it is an unprecedented step forward in software design by making it a beta public,  but by exluding the PC community for so long in the 'listening' process of a beta this must be considered to be a wee bit of an insult!   Without being to use the product how can you really comment on what you want to see in the finished version?!
Calm down, Lightroom's like a new pharmaceutical drug that they're testing on Mac users (listen to the screams) before letting it loose on the majority market.

John

jdyke

On PC
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2006, 11:54:17 am »

I think a lot of people forget this is a "beta" - it's intended to get feedback from users, and in this case, people who live and breathe photography.  My impression is that most of these folks are Mac users, so it would make sense to target them. 

- Pierre
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=67620\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Glad to here Michaels statement about Beta3.

Sorry Peirre but I strongly disagree with your statement.  

What evidence did you base this on??

There are many many many more PC users out in the big wide world than Mac users by quite a long way- and belive me many of these are photographers (both pro and ametuer alike)

Please do not get me wrong - I like the Mac (it has both pros and cons) and have no intention of staring yet another PC v MAC debate, but for many users the jump across to a Mac from a PC just far too expensive (Mac's are still overpriced IMHO).   Also the software would cost thousands of notes to replace.

Anyway - back to the original thread - looking forward to the arrival of Lightroom beta 3...

JD

pvonk

On PC
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2006, 06:18:32 pm »

Glad to here Michaels statement about Beta3.

Sorry Peirre but I strongly disagree with your statement. 

What evidence did you base this on??

There are many many many more PC users out in the big wide world than Mac users by quite a long way- and belive me many of these are photographers (both pro and ametuer alike)

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=67778\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've owned PCs since the first IBM PC.  Two years ago I bought a Mac, but still use PCs and now also use Linux machines (I teach CS).  While I'm an amature digital photographer, I do spend a lot of time reading newsgroups, and over the years I've dabbled in Photoshop and other similar tools and have a bookshelf of manuals on their use.  I've talked to the art professors on campus who do photography as well as student majors who focus on graphic arts and photography.  I can't point you to a definitive survey, but (as a then PC user) I was always taken aback when the majority of writers, users, students, etc. were Mac users.  (At least that was my perception.)  It was as if I suddenly found myself in the minority - a strange feeling!

Yes, there are many more PC owners out there, but the Mac was definitely the machine of choice for graphic arts and, appearantly, photographers a number of years ago (just read any older book on graphics and you'll see) - although that distribution has been shifting in recent years.

An aside- usage trends in colleges:

As for trends among the college youth - many years ago, the distribution of Mac vs PC users was about 50-50% on our campus, and reports were similar from other institutions.  Then the Mac took a nosedive (which was fine by me - at the time I felt having one universal platform would make life much easier - so you can say I was a PC zealot).  But in recent years, I've noticed a surge back to the Mac among our students.  This has been backed up by our IT department, which keeps records of platform use and connections to the campus backbone.  Especially in the computer science program, I now find a clear majority of students using Macs - which posed a problem for us, since the software used in our courses was PC based - in fact our lab was a Wintel lab.  With the switch to Java, we now use multi-platform software and this has solved problems our students had.  I'm told the campus distribution is now about 40-60% in favor of PCs, quite a resurrection for the Mac.  Not only that, but many CS students who own PCs are running Linux on them.  This year we opened our second departmental lab - a Linux lab, which is used in the CS program.  (The rest of campus has a mix of PC and Mac public labs.)  So much for a universal platform.

Why did I switch to the Mac?  It runs Unix.  

- Pierre
« Last Edit: June 09, 2006, 06:25:18 pm by pvonk »

john beardsworth

• My photography site
On PC
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2006, 02:58:49 am »

I'm told the campus distribution is now about 40-60% in favor of PCs, quite a resurrection for the Mac.

This is pretty much the same distribution as I'd estimated from the number of postings to the Adobe forums for Photoshop and Bridge - 60+% PC, 40% Mac. So it's pretty reasonable that Adobe would have sound commerical reasons to launch their defence against Aperture on the Mac platform first. Perhaps JD, if you're looking for an insult you should find it from Apple who released a program that fails to run on most computers?

John

jdyke

On PC
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2006, 06:06:44 am »

Pierre
it is interesting what you have said regarding the Mac.  May I ask are you based in th U.S. ?  I think the Mac has not taken off quite a s much in the UK and was prodominantly the realm of the professional Graphics business.  They are notoriously expensive in the UK (as it evrything!) and most people over the years have favoured the PC with the cost being a major factor.  That means that many photographers (with a mjority coming from film) will probably most likely own a PC, at least in the UK anyway.  That being said the Mac is startig to sell over here now, especially the iMac.  The G5 though is still far too expensive for most people. (especially if you want the same specs as a pc).

johnbeardy

Yes I can see why Apple would hae sound comercial reson to launch a Mac beta perhaps before the PC beta but doing so quite a long way in advance of the Windows beta in my expepriece I think is a marketing mistake.  As I say its just my opinion.  

Hopefully they will relase the beat 3 for both versions at the same time.

JD

David White

• http://
On PC
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2006, 01:01:37 am »

If you read the latest here on Luminous Landscape you will see that the Beta 3 is also for windows. Take heart
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=67612\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
WRONG!  Beta 3 is out and for Mac only.  I've been holding off, but I guess it is time to go shopping for other front ends.  Adobe is obviously not interested in PC users.
David White

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
On PC
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2006, 01:22:04 am »

Adobe is obviously not interested in PC users.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=68051\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Wrong. . .it's simple, the Windows version of Beta 3 (and there is one) is not done...when it's ready, Adobe will release it. Reading ANYTHING ELSE into this is simple speculation (do you hear black helocopters fly by? Do you wear tin foil to keep out gamma rays?)

:~)

David White

• http://
On PC
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2006, 01:38:11 am »

Wrong. . .it's simple, the Windows version of Beta 3 (and there is one) is not done...when it's ready, Adobe will release it. Reading ANYTHING ELSE into this is simple speculation (do you hear black helocopters fly by? Do you wear tin foil to keep out gamma rays?)

:~)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=68055\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ever hear of parallel development?

I only hear black helicopters when our Red congressman makes a press release.  
David White

jdyke

On PC
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2006, 04:08:02 am »

BETA 3 is now out for the Mac...but no Windows?

This really is not 'Cricket' chaps!

I have been in marketing for some years now and must say that this is not a good exercise in PR!  (I also work for a software company)

I will not loose sight that this is actualya Beta and that Adobe don't have to release this software before the final code.  

But come on folks at Adobe- pull ya finger out and get a beta out for Windows please, even if it is only beta 1!  

Windows folk have lost 4 months of design input, so no wonder they are a bit sore.

jlmwyo

On PC
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2006, 04:14:40 am »

BETA 3 is now out for the Mac...but no Windows?

This really is not 'Cricket' chaps!

I have been in marketing for some years now and must say that this is not a good exercise in PR!  (I also work for a software company)

I will not loose sight that this is actualya Beta and that Adobe don't have to release this software before the final code. 

But come on folks at Adobe- pull ya finger out and get a beta out for Windows please, even if it is only beta 1! 

Windows folk have lost 4 months of design input, so no wonder they are a bit sore.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=68061\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That IS the rub for me, lost time for input design. When I saw that B3 was out today I was all excited, until I saw the "Mac Only" disclaimer.

Sigh! I guess its because I'm so excited to try the damn thing
Images of Wyoming
 [url=http://www.pbase.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
On PC
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2006, 04:27:10 am »

I can't believe this. Photographers' disapproval should be directed at companies like Apple for bringing out programs that only work on a minority of computers, not at Adobe for making a perfectly sensible commercial decision to defend a market segment. Sure Adobe are losing a few months of the design input of the majority of potential users, but they've clearly stated they will release a beta for Windows as soon as it's ready. Fine.

In the meantime, try out all the other programs that are out there. Try Lightzone, CaptureOne, or the new Nikon Capture NX - you'll be in a better position to evaluate Lightroom and decide whether to buy it. Clouds and silver linings?

Equally, not implying I generally agree with animal testing of cosmetics etc, don't lose sight that programs developed for, and tested on Mac users first, generally have better interfaces than those developed solely for the Windows platform.

John

jdyke

On PC
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2006, 06:59:47 am »

I can't believe this. Photographers' disapproval should be directed at companies like Apple for bringing out programs that only work on a minority of computers, not at Adobe for making a perfectly sensible commercial decision to defend a market segment. Sure Adobe are losing a few months of the design input of the majority of potential users, but they've clearly stated they will release a beta for Windows as soon as it's ready. Fine.

In the meantime, try out all the other programs that are out there. Try Lightzone, CaptureOne, or the new Nikon Capture NX - you'll be in a better position to evaluate Lightroom and decide whether to buy it. Clouds and silver linings?

Equally, not implying I generally agree with animal testing of cosmetics etc, don't lose sight that programs developed for, and tested on Mac users first, generally have better interfaces than those developed solely for the Windows platform.

John
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=68064\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I take it your a Mac user then John?  

Actually I have tried many of the other programs, that's not really the point of my comment is it!?

As I stated, this is my view - you don't have to agree with it!

If you are a Mac user then you haven't really been 'itching' to get you hands on this software.  With all the PR (& DVD's by Michael) its quite painful for us PC users to wait this long (like actually letting you have a nibble of the carrot then running off with it).  

As for the loss in design input - thats what gets most of us Windows users.  

As for your last comment -  that's a pretty serious implication you are making there!!  Don't give your address out or you may have a queue of PC developers at your door  

Perhaps this thread is getting a bit flamey so I will end my comments now....My original purpose was just to have a small winge at Adobe for not releasing a Beta of Lightroom for Windows yet.  This was not meant to be a Mac v PC war which is the direction it is heading in.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
On PC
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2006, 07:44:34 am »

I take it you're a Mac user then John?
That's funny. Quite the contrary - I am a PC user who regards Macs as overpriced and overrated, but rather prettily-built and with more ergonomic interface development goals. I also admit to the prejudice that Mac users complain and praise more than PC users because they are more used to generally more elegant interfaces - hence my earlier analogy to animal testing of cosmetics and medicines . In any case I trust the existing beta testers to evaluate and give feedback as photographers (who just happen to bore the rest of us unbelievers with their often-religious faith in the Mac). So no, while I have played with Macs over the last 16 years, I'm certainly not a Mac user!

I'd also love to get my hands on Lightroom, but there are pressing commercial reasons for undermining Aperture and for allocating resources accordingly. Adobe will release Lightroom when it's ready. In the meantime it's great that there has been a shake-up. If Lightroom had already been released, I doubt if I would have bothered trying out other programs such as those I've listed, each of which has given me valuable experience and new perspectives.

John
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 07:47:35 am by johnbeardy »
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up