Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upstate Michigan  (Read 9914 times)

armand

• Photos
Upstate Michigan
« on: June 05, 2015, 11:40:16 am »

I plan to be almost a week in Upstate Michigan, around Pictured Rocks. Won't make it to Porcupine Mts.
Any nice things to see and ideally photograph? I'll be with family so accessibility is desirable.

jpohler

Re: Upstate Michigan
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 04:31:03 pm »

I'm making the assumption that your family includes children and that they'll be with you.  The AuTrain area had a nice beach with a river running into Lake Superior.  Miners Beach has a nice beach as well and includes the iconic Elliot Falls on the eastern end.  There are a several waterfalls in the Munising area.  More detailed information can be found in town.  The Pictured Rocks Boat Tour is another possibility.  Finally, about an hours drive is Fayette State Park. It's a restored 19th century iron smelting town and offers many photo opportunities.

Hope that you have a good time.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 10:04:42 pm »

Thank you. I knew about the boat tour, I was looking for other things and you gave me some good suggestions. I don't want to have a very strict plan as it will fail anyway, I just want to go to areas with many photographic opportunities just in case I get some time for my hobby (I usually do).

redoleary

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 09:26:12 pm »

On the Grand Marais end of Pictured Rocks is Sable Falls, Grand Sable Dunes, Hurricane River, and some beautiful shoreline on the walk to Au Sable Light Station.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 01:05:54 pm »

Thank for the advice, it turned out to be a good trip. Some decent photos, good family time. While there I did have in mind a quote attributed to Mark Twain (apparently erroneously): "the coldest winter I spent in my life was a summer in San Francisco". Mosquitoes were ok (compared to what I expected), just use plenty of bug repellent.

If anybody wants more information I'm now more knowledgeable and I plan to use this again (maybe this winter for the Grand Island ice caves)..

Here is a picture of Munising, probably a power plant.
Pages: [1]   Go Up